What's your view on swearing?

TFMF

Ok, we seem to be taxing the word filters to the limit here, so if we could stop listing all of the swear words we use and get back to the topic, What is your view on swearing, without the need for swearing in here that'd be great... ::)

• 2 weeks later...

well... what I meant was that swearing dosn't have that effect on me. I don't care about it at all...

part of the reason being that I come from Denmark, probably one of the countries where people swear the most... even kindergarten kids run around and say f*ck and s*it. The government is even trying to ban the use of swearing in schools, but to no avail in great part due to the freedom of speech.

there ya go...  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think swearing in public is very bad behaviour. And internet is public.

But, swearing when with group of friends is very diffrent. In such situation all now that I (anyone) don't intend to offend anyone (me), those words are just used to magnify the expression, to let the emotions outside. Of course, there is always a line which should not be crossed.

The last thing is swearing when beeing alone. Just like you drop your favourite coffe mug inside your computer which you repair, and it bursts, coffe turns your CPU and PSU into pile of junk. This is a situation when strong words really help to stop from doing something one may regret later (as for example, making a vow "I will never come close to computer with coffe again", or something) ;)

• 6 months later...

Honestly, I don't understand one thing: "Dropping the f-bomb" and public swearing seems to be the worst thing ever in the United States, yet it is often used as a stylistic device in American movies and shows. In some cases a character hardly uses more than the infamous four-lettered words (This hilarious example comes to mind:

).

As Tigerplayer pointed out, things seem to be a tad more lax around here.

the F-bomb AND the C-bomb comes hand in hand in Australian culture.. its great haha. Whether i'm at the pub or at work talking with my boss its, its pretty casual. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I always depends on who's around for me.  Since I don't know who may be reading something online I never swear in forums or chats, but around just my friends I will at home or wherever as long as youngsters aren't around.  I don't swear in front of my dad even though I'm 28 but that is just out of respect because he is a minister.  I don't have a problem crackin a beer in front of him but swearing would be too offensive.

lol, I might forget and rarely swear in front of my mom but I hardly ever drink in front of her. cussin' is brought on by stress and people slip up but drinkin' is a preference. out of respect, I just don't do it in the same room as her. if dad was alive, things might be different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 6/26/2007 at 4:40 PM, TFMF said:

I'm curious to know what everyones views are on swearing/profanity both online, or when you're talking to friends/real life?

Personally, i don't approve of it at all on message boards or on the internet. I just think it's unnecessary to swear in public where younger people could see them. However, I will use it on occasion on MSN, or perhaps on IRC if I'm really really happy/angry about something and I'm talking to people i know. In real life, I'm more liberal and will use profanity more often than i should. I don't use it in public, however and try to be discrete.

What about you? What do you think of swearing, both online and offline?

Wow TFMF!

What are your views 10+years later?

In my part of the world, swearing is predominantly colloquial language

I'll remind you that I'm Australian and...  "I f'ing love you c@#!&".

But, a lot of it has to do with tone.  Intent.

Tone, and intent, are hard to interpret in text form.

Do we need to test the new filter TFMF?

I'm happy to oblige 🙂