Censorship and Community self-governance

GeneralLee

I am locking this topic because it is no longer relevant.

Many of us, like you, work for a living. I do. Many times I work 10 or more hours a day. Add sleep to that, and well, not that much time at the PC to read every message posted here right away. So, I wish that thread was not locked just yet. I actually had something to say, and it was blocked.

http://tracker.thompson-web.org/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=1467

I'd like to see the posts turn towards exploring how the issue would be handled in a "Trek" manner. Many episodes of the various Star Trek series have explored different loving and mating habits of alien cultures. I wonder if we can explore our own culture's loving and mating issues with respect and curiousity, instead of dogmatic opinion, disrespect, and the infliction of pain on those in the "minority."

With the greatest respect, to me, that statement, well the first part anyhow, is a way of censorship. "I'd like to see". With all the good will I know you have, and that statement DOES offer a view that I am akin to, I feel, trying to be unbiased here, that perhaps you may need to back off for a bit. It seems to me like you may be trying to steer the forums into your way of thinking and viewpoint a tad, and by that a mean JUST a LITTLE, nothing more (not that I disagree with it at all).

In my own eyes anyhow, the tracker site needs a mod or two, not so much in the forums (tho that is needed as well).

I read every post in that "Gay/Straight" thread, and tho I may have missed one or two (that may have been deleted, hehe), I did not see it as a problem at all. I was quite fascinated by it actually. If I'm not mistakend, I stayed out of that conversation, tho I did answer the poll.

This is in no way a critical statement towards yourself. Just a general sense I've felt in the past 24-36 hours or so, from reading posts here, when I can.

It is not many times that I encounter an extremely articulate and intelligent person as yourself, especially on an online forum. I have grown to see you as a great friend, tho of course, we will probably never meet.

Besides, you are one of the best seeders of files I've uploaded I've ever seen, and I thankyou dearly for that.

Btw, when I heard of the Popes' death, I weeped to... go figure.... (and I'm an ex-aetheist of no religious denomination, tho I highly respect them all, have studied just about all of them, and I have the highest regards for the Native American tradtions).

Take care, and best regards....

The thread was locked because some people became disrespectful of the original debate. I encourage open discussion and debate, but I also require that members maintain their respect for other members of the board.

I'm not saying that you fall into this category, but others do. I delete and edit very few posts, but occasionally it is necessary.

If inappropriate posts are removed and the topic can continue in a fair and respectful manner, the thread may be re-opened, but at this time, I support the decisions of the moderators.

in my personal opinion i felt as if the gay/straight thing was a bit too personal for discussion..each person has their own opinion about such things.... religion,politics,and in these days as it would seem sexual preference i feel are topics better alone especially in a forum that is familly based and basically a sci-fi forum...it is too easy for feelings to be hurt and arguments to ensue with topics such as these..ten foward is a good place to meet and discuss many things but i dont necessarily need to know EVERYTHING about you.personal things and beliefs should be left alone and not in a forum type discussion unless you want to keep 5 or 6 mods busy handing out warnings and deleting things left and right ...then next thing you know this one is mad at that one and im leaving cause you dont think im right...blah blah blah....best to just avoid "sensitive" types of discussions i feel.....but what do i know...i'm just a dumb cow.....

as i posted in an earlier thread, that being a mod or an admin is a difficult job.

you have to allow for some posts but have to curtail some as it would be inaproprate.

I'd just like to ask that ppl think before they put pen to paper (so to speak) for a few extra seconds, that way the mods and admins wont have to delete/edit posts or lock topics.

True, but this is the only board i visit and i haven't seen much abusive behavior (i could know i've been around a while)... and i do think the members of this board are capable of dicussing a difficult topic. Especially the respected members, which names we all know.. a mod is neccesary but i do think you should not judge to fast... because i've seen almost no disrespect here....

Qous Ego

Being a mod is a thankless job. I'm a mod on my host's boards, and you get criticized when you do something and when you don't do the same thing. My advice is: let it die, and don't worry about it. If the mod is using proper judgement, you willbe better for it.

But y'all are doing a great job here! I've been participating in online stuff since I used to post on a Kaypro running CP/M with dual 5 1/4" floppy disks and a 1200 baud modem.

This is one of the first communities that I've found where it didn't consistently blow up into flame wars.

Might I hypothesize that watching and appreciating Star Trek has a positive effect? Of course, it could also be true that people drawn towards Trek and online discussions tend to be better suited for resolving difficulty.

Just to clear something up (again) I didn't lock the gay/straight poll/topic. The topic originator did, and stated that he felt it had run its course.

Fate of Gay/Straight Topic/Poll - moments ago I just unlocked this topic. Several people have expressed a desire to get their two cents in. I only locked the topic because the topic it referred to had already been locked and some minor "abuse" had already taken place on this topic.

Y'all play nice & I'll leave it open until pruning season!

I am locking this topic because it is no longer relevant.

Many of us, like you, work for a living. I do. Many times I work 10 or more hours a day. Add sleep to that, and well, not that much time at the PC to read every message posted here right away. So, I wish that thread was not locked just yet. I actually had something to say, and it was blocked.

http://tracker.thompson-web.org/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=1467

I didn't lock the gay/straight topic - just the "Fate of the gay/straight" topic - which I've now unlocked.

I'd like to see the posts turn towards exploring how the issue would be handled in a "Trek" manner. Many episodes of the various Star Trek series have explored different loving and mating habits of alien cultures. I wonder if we can explore our own culture's loving and mating issues with respect and curiousity, instead of dogmatic opinion, disrespect, and the infliction of pain on those in the "minority."

With the greatest respect, to me, that statement, well the first part anyhow, is a way of censorship. "I'd like to see". With all the good will I know you have, and that statement DOES offer a view that I am akin to, I feel, trying to be unbiased here, that perhaps you may need to back off for a bit. It seems to me like you may be trying to steer the forums into your way of thinking and viewpoint a tad, and by that a mean JUST a LITTLE, nothing more (not that I disagree with it at all).

If you had said "I'd like to see," it wouldn't be censorship, it would be influence. But I wear a moderator hat. So, the "power" of being a moderator perhaps DOES make it a somewhat censorious.

So let me say this: Nobody needs to tiptoe around while disagreeing with me. I'll do my human best not to retaliate for disagreement or opposition. That's my commitment to power-sharing, to avoiding a "power-over" stance wherever possible. I will endeavor only to delete posts that are either completely irrelevant (ie "This belongs in a different topic category" after the topic has been moved) or downright derogatory ("faggots should burn in hell" - which nobody has has said so crudely). When a post, in my mind doesn't belong, either for being off-topic or for being overly insensitive, I will endeavor to PM the author and ask them to either edit or move the post.

In the rare/unexpected case that a post might just be name-calling, or flaming, it is POSSIBLE that I will delete before PMing. But I doubt much of that will be necessary. This community does a great job of self-policing and everybody seems to work hard at treating others with respect. I doubt I'll need to delete much of anything for "flame" reasons.

What do you think? Is this a good approach?

I'd certainly rather argue about "sexual orientation vs sexual preference" than delete people who disagree with me. That would be a TRUE disservice!

The actual purpose of the Gay/Straight Poll was not to discuss what people thought about sexuality, but simply to learn what percentage of sci-fi fans are gay, and what percentage are straight. I thought it a relevant question in a male dominated community. It made a lot of sense to me to lock the discussions, as a signifigant sampling had been made.

Elderbear,

What do I think? I think you have the right attitude, and do a phenominal

I know who locked which thread a few days ago, thing was, guess I was caught up right during the various thread closures, after I was attemting to post a few messeges, which never got the chance to post. :p

Looking back to my state of mind a few days ago, when I took the time to compose what I did that started this thread, and this may sound weird, but I think I was "feeling for you." By that, I mean, I had the feeling that all this stuff, was causing you turmoil and a bit of anquish, and I guess I was feeling sorry for you, and what you may have been going thru.

Maybe it was the Procession of the Pope thru the Vatican on TV as I was reading here, damifIremember all the details anymore....

In any event, I'm glad you responded. You are the best, and I'm very happy that I have had a chance to meet people like you here, and so many others.

Not only is this surely my favorite bittorrent site I have ever stumbled upon, but sci-fi or no sci-fi, the forums here, are the best I've ever seen, in all my years of also using PC's. I just wish I had the time to read all the threads, but alas, it seems I do not.

theres never really been any arguments, or flaming etc.

i think that every one here believes in an evolved attitude?

that we can discuss things without resort to petty things.

You have no idea how much my experience with this community of users has restored my faith in the possibilities of humanity! I used to believe, but now I BELIEVE!