?????Whats Left?????

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look Star Trek fans do you think that they are just going to forget about you . In no time there will be a new Star Trek series . I would venture to say no less than two years and no more than 4 years off. Also when is the ST TNG crew going to pop out a new movie I am sure that has to be in the works as well .

in the mean time I would say that the Sci Fi world is running as strong as ever .there are at least 4 series that are running red hot and expect the Star Wars series to be a complete smash hit .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Coolcat I certainly hope your right.....................I need my..........cough............cough..............Star Trek Fix...................cough cough...............

with the Ends of these two' date=' the greatest of sci fi, I ask you are we seeing the beginning of the end of Science fiction as we know it, will Sci Fi be overrun by the world of reality TV and Drama,[/quote']

SG SG-1

SG Atlantis

Doctor Who 2005

The New Galactica

There's a huge backlog of shows you've probably never seen:

Lone Gunmen

Earth 2

seaQuest

Space above & beyond

B5 Crusade

Planet of the Apes

You could go pick up a book. I highly recommend Gardner Dozois' "The Best of..." books which collect the best sci-fi stories of the last 22 years. Also anything that won a Hugo Award (Ender's Game, Hyperion, The Forever War).

And if that's still not enough, subscribe to the monthly story rags Asimov's and Analog. Given all that, I've never had a problem keeping my sci-fi addiction satisfied.

troy

The final series of Enterprise was much improved, but let's face it, the Star Trek franchise does need a rest. It needs time to build up a new plan & staff, similar to what happened in the early eighties which lead to The Wrath of Khan.

Stargate SG1 - I still don't rate it. The only reason it is still around is because it gets good ratings for the particular channel it gets shown on in the US. From what I've seen, the episodes are nothing new and cover old ground.

Battlestar Galactica - it was something a bit different. It was compelling, appealed to a wider audience and first & foremost told a good story. Whether the excellent quality can be maintained for another 13 episodes remains to be seen.

Something new, original and groundbreaking will come about. Every decade has one or two shows which blow us all away (see the Nineties & The X-Files for example)

It is a sign of the times. When sci fi got started, people looked to the future. Science was just starting to get big, satellites in orbit, man on the moon, the invention of computers, nuclear energy.

Now there is nothing. No new ideas. The Shuttle has blown up twice now. There is no space station, no moon colony, never been back to the moon. Nobody seriously thinks about space other than to put weapons up there

No one gets an education anymore so there are no more writers or script writers. Star Trek has been reusing the same scripts since Voyager started what? 8 years ago? I buy a new science fiction book about once every 6 months because there are no new writers.

My blood ran cold the other day. I picked up a novel by that guy dan brown I think it is that wrote the Da Vince code? I perused the novel and it read like it was written by a remedial english student. I couldn't believe I was reading a book by this a famous writer. And the Da Vinci code was the biggest seller last year wasn't it? A remedial level english writer has the biggest seller novel. The world is going to hell. ;)

Science is basically being taken away from the public. Those political guys have a lock on power now. If people learn science, then they could build the same things the guys in power have. That would be no good. The guys in power are greedy and never want to leave. They don't want competition.

I remember when I could go to the library and check out books on rocket propulsion. Nozzle design, propellant formulas, aerodynamic formulas. Now, the libraries in my city are open 3 or 4 days a week for 4 to 6 hours. If people go to libraries, they get smart. So the libraries are starved for funds and shut down. The money they get for books? They spend it on the latest novel of the week.

I am really on a rant huh? I feel let down. When I was a kid, I PLANNED on going into space or maybe the moon. Man had landed on the moon. It was just a matter of time before a space station and more spacecraft were built. I was going into space to help with that.

40 years later, no one has ever returned to the moon. If they really went there in the first place and it wasn't faked for political reasons. There are no spacecraft. No real space program. I was Screwed! Robbed! Hosed! Cheated!

Now all people can think about is military stuff. The pablum you see on TV? The reality shows and stuff? That is all to keep people stupid and pacified. No news of world happenings, just gossip shows and watching someone else's life.

Inventing all kinds of new diseases so that they can keep people medicated so they don't cause trouble. Attention Deficit Disorder. Autism. Asperger's Syndrome. They make all that stuff up so they can sell their latest psychoactive pill that makes people pliant zombies.

Science Ficition is hope and wonder and the future. America has none of that. America has military plans to lock down the rest of the oil on the planet and control the world. That is our future. Wars and gossip TV shows and psychoactive drugs.

The only way Science Fiction will ever take off again is if people like us do it. If we set down and make Sci Fi because we like it and not for money, then Sci Fi will take off again.

An interesting few points you make there BorisP but science fiction is far from dead. There are probably no new ideas since every other idea is a variation upon a theme. Doctor Who was probably inspired by H.G.Wells (The Time Machine) and I think that may have been one of the first and foremost reasons that the BBC very quickly changed William Hartnells Victorian professor character into am Alien Timelord and created a whole new spin on science fiction.

It began in 1963 and is undergoing a massive revival at the moment with new, imaginative, funny and in some cases scary stories. Especially episode 9: An Empty Child.

This episode really delves into the darker side of the new Who team's writing and is very thoughtful, clever and shows a twisted dark sense of humour that the late great Douglas Adams would have been proud of.

There are bound to be quite a few new stories and ideas in shows like Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. There's a whole new arc of Battlestar Galactica upon the way and the tongue in cheek campy series: Star Hyke is coming pretty soon.

Yes, science fiction is the wonder and beauty of the future and fans must do all they can to support the genre. We will hardly ever be in the position (unless some of us get lucky) of being able to make these kinds of TV shows because they cost too much and in this case.

Money does indeed make the world go around.

If you haven't seen Dr. Who yet, watch it, any of it...especially Tom Baker's era. story arcs like the Talons of Weng Chiang are wonderfully written, scripted and Baker's Doctor is probably one of the best of the old Doctors.

It's only when we allow the mundane to totally rule our lives that we are driven into seeing a world with nothing, science fiction is cool yes - it's not the beginning or the end of life, but it's an important part of it.

Imagination is the key, without it, we're like the autons...plastic...mindless and only given the freedom of movement by another.

lol boris has something good to say :)

BUT dr who was supposed to be a sort of entertaining history lesson.

it was only the fact that it got such fantastic audiences for the forward looking sci-fi bit, that it changed to sci-fi rather than just going back in time

three cheers for the guy who wrote about the darleks

Hip-hip HORAYY!

Hip-hip HORAYY!

Hip-hip HORAYY!

I am so glad that someone did decide to alter the focus of Dr. Who in that way, taking it away from a mundane look at history and into fantastic worlds. For me the sound of that old blue box has as much emotion invoked as when I hear the words.

"To boldly go..."

The future is ours to shape as we want to, we can lament the loss of science-fiction or we can create new stories and appreciate the creative works of others.

Its easy to say OH god Series A sucks the big brass donkey (Well, perhaps not when drunk)

But it's harder to say, why you like something.

Look at elderbear's reposting of BorisP's poll for that.

Sci-Fi (and Fantasy, and any sort of story, really) will die only when people lose their imaginations ^^... make conclusions from THAT as you will ;)

(i.e. if Sci-Fi does die, it will be because a part of US has died...)

We can put that one on the ether and hope the gods of TV hear us. Took them 15 years to hear the call of Dr. Who but they did in the end.

I knd of miss the Martian Chronicles and things like that. A return to a lot of sci-fi shows would be good. Dr. Who is just the beginning - there is a revival on the way.

Discworld would be fantasic. I know they did some animated shows about the Witches before, but maybe Jim Henson's company could dream up something. There is enough material there to make the shows last for a very long time.

I think Discworld would be great, but most people tend to view that as fantasy more than sci-fi. Still it's a nice idea. I often wondered if they'd do a Dirk Gently TV show -- The Hollistic Detective agency stuff and a 'Long Dark Teamtime of the Soul' etc.

I think Discworld would be great' date=' but most people tend to view that as fantasy more than sci-fi. Still it's a nice idea.[/quote']

It could be because its genre IS Fantasy, not sci-fi ^^... and comedy, possibly satire, with touches of philosophy...

I'm not sure it'd convert into any sort of live action... animated is best for it, I think ^^ (several of the books have been animated, and I've liked what I saw)

Edit: *glances down at the signature below* Well, well, well... what do we 'ave here? ^^

My comment was a subtle one, it was meant as the following: Although Terry Pratchett is great, it does not belong in a sci fi discussion thread ;)

*hehs*

I do know the difference between Sci Fi and Fantasy oddly enough *GRIN*

Tho I happen to be fond of the mix of both, often labelled: Steampunk.

I often wondered if they'd do a Dirk Gently TV show -- The Hollistic Detective agency stuff and a 'Long Dark Teamtime of the Soul' etc.

Now that would be perfect! Those books were a good mix of sci fi (the robot monk, time travelling apartment) and Fantasy (Thor, and the other Norse God's)

Ahhhh havn't read those books in years. For some reason, Andromeda reminds me of the Star Ship Titanic. Not the stories, mind you, I mean the actual interface for the computer.

I often wondered if they'd do a Dirk Gently TV show -- The Hollistic Detective agency stuff and a 'Long Dark Teamtime of the Soul' etc.

Now that would be perfect! Those books were a good mix of sci fi (the robot monk, time travelling apartment) and Fantasy (Thor, and the other Norse God's)

Ahhhh havn't read those books in years. For some reason, Andromeda reminds me of the Star Ship Titanic. Not the stories, mind you, I mean the actual interface for the computer.

Heh now you mention it, it does rather, yes :)