Great Quotes

Beawulf

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more:

It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.

Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking about them.

The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order.

Experiences are the spectacles of intellect.

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them.

Anyone can become angryâ€â€Âthat is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right wayâ€â€Âthis is not easy.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; the hardest victory is the victory over self.

You will not become a saint through other people's sins.

Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision.

'nuff for today - now I'm ready to start the "Bs"

"he who dies with the most toys ...still dies "

This is one of my favs too!

also, "Small though it is the human brain can be quite effective when used properly." - 6th Doctor.

and the quote from Hamlet in my sig.

well if you want to go for the great qoutes you should listen to the great men

"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone " Jesus Christ according to the New Testament

just a little something that some of the more pretentious Christians should remember and remain familiar with ....

you posted alot of quotes by Albert Camus, who is he?

Albert Camus was a member of the French Maquis during WWII. He was also an existentialist philosopher, best known for his work, The Myth of Sysiphus. His novels, The Stranger, The Plague, and The Fall are all worth reading and reflecting on. Most of my quotes came from a collection of essays, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death. In 1957 he received the Nobel Prize for literature. Read more about Camus in the Wikipedia.

"Therefore you must always keep in mind that a path is only a path; if you feel you should not follow it, you must not stay with it under any conditions....

Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't, it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn't. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you."

"For me there is only the traversing of paths that have heart, on any path that may have a heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length.

And there I travel looking.............looking breathlessly".

Don Juan Matus, Yaqui Warrior/Shaman

"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone " Jesus Christ according to the New Testament

just a little something that some of the more pretentious Christians should remember and remain familiar with ....

I continuously try to remind people of that...and "Judge not lest ye be judged"

"Therefore you must always keep in mind that a path is only a path; if you feel you should not follow it, you must not stay with it under any conditions....

Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't, it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn't. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you."

"For me there is only the traversing of paths that have heart, on any path that may have a heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length.

And there I travel looking.............looking breathlessly".

Don Juan Matus, Yaqui Warrior/Shaman

Aaaahhh ... yes!!! I just misquoted this to somebody on PM last night (or was it this morning? Time blurs!!!) This is one of my favorites of all time.

Elderbear said:

Aaaahhh ... yes!!! I just misquoted this to somebody on PM last night (or was it this morning? Time blurs!!!) This is one of my favorites of all time.

And to think I promoted elderbear to ship captain andhaven't received a pm in days. For all I know you are going to warp in some planets atmosphere. Back on topic. I have been struggling with this question because so many quotes are important to me. I hope I can add more over time.

I chose the immortal 269 words spoken by Abrahm Lincoln at the Gettysburg Dedication Ceremony:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Guest c4evap

Steve Martain's Maharishi once said:

Always carry a litter bag in your car...........if it gets full, you can always toss it out the window.

There's a deep meaning in there somewhere I'm sure...

c4 :p

I continuously try to remind people of that...and "Judge not lest ye be judged"

And why should we not judge? Because if we judge others, we will also judge ourselves ... and that's the most vindictive judgment of all! Unfortunately, self-judgment can lead to judging others ...

Steve Martain's Maharishi once said:

Always carry a litter bag in your car...........if it gets full, you can always toss it out the window.

There's a deep meaning in there somewhere I'm sure...

c4 :p

Yes. He dosen't have to pick it up after.