Great Quotes

Beawulf

please share some quotes that are important to you or that have changed your life.

some of my favourites are:

"Where the world ceases to be the scene of our personal hopes and wishes, where we face it as free beings admiring, asking and observing, there we enter the realm of Art and Science"

Albert Einstein

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?'

Edgar Allen Poe

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use"

Galileo Galilei

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No generalization is true... including this one

-unknown

I like it because it says: don't see life in black and white

+ it's kindda funny.

The one who is master over his passions is a slave to his reason.

- Cyril Connolly

True...

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!"

I have know idea where that one came from B)

it's from a tune by ScooteR don't remember witsh one tho.

sorry about my bad englinsh B) B)

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!"

I have know idea where that one came from B)

it's from a tune by ScooteR don't remember witsh one tho.

sorry about my bad englinsh B) B)

It's from "Move Your Ass" (1995). I didn't mention it intendedly :rolleyes: But I don't think it really is from HP Baxxter, at least I hope so :rolleyes: B)

Depending on my mood:

From Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule, "People are stupid"

Bill Watterson - "Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

Will Moss - "Love is not blind - It sees more and not less, but because it sees more it is willing to see less."

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries. - A. A. Milne

Forgiveness is giving up all hope for a better past. - Aba Gayle

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. - Abraham Joshua Heschel

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it. - Abraham Lincoln

Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how. The moment you know how, you begin to die a little. The artist never entirely knows, we guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark. - Agnes de Mille

Sometimes the truth hurts, but the only thing it hurts are illusions. - Alan Cohen

I cannot forgive contemporary political society: it is a mechanism for driving men to despair. - Albert Camus

We continue to shape our personality all our life. If we knew ourselves perfectly, we should die. - Albert Camus

I cannot love all humanity except with a vast and somewhat abstract love. But I love a few men, living or dead, with such force and admiration that I am always eager to preserve in others what will someday perhaps make them resemble those I love. - Albert Camus

Totalitarian tyranny is not based on the virtues of the totalitarians. It is based on the mistakes of the liberals. - Albert Camus

Freedom is not made up principally of privileges; it is made up especially of duties. - Albert Camus

Perhaps we cannot prevent this world from being a world in which children are tortured. But we can reduce the number of tortured children. - Albert Camus

We shall be sure that freedom is not a gift received from a State or a leader, but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all. - Albert Camus

When one knows of what man is capable, for better and for worse, one also knows that it is not the human being himself who must be protected but the possibilities he has within him--in other words, his freedom. - Albert Camus

If, after all, men cannot always make history have a meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one. - Albert Camus

It is better to suffer certain injustices than to commit them, even to win wars. - Albert Camus

I believe only in differences and not in uniformity. First of all, because differences are the roots without which the tree of liberty, the sap of creation and of civilization, dries up. - Albert Camus

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and science. He who knows it not and can no longer wonder, no longer feel amazement, is as good as dead, a snuffed-out candle. - Albert Einstein

The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein

Enough for now ...

"He lied and never knew that he lied, and

when it was pointed out to him said that lies were beautiful. He was an

idealist." - Somerset Maugham

And SOMEHOW, no one's mentioned the greatest of them all:

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." - Winston Churchill

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." - Winston Churchill

And finally the piece d’etat:

A lady who shall remain nameless approached Winston and said "Sir, you are drunk." Winston then replied with the best line ever: "Madam, I may be drunk, but you are ugly. And in the morning, I will be sober, but you will still be ugly."

yeah winston has some grreat ones ay?

try these:

Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends.

Tom Waits

I am an evil giraffe, and I shall eat more leaves from this tree then prehaps I should, so that other giraffes may die.

Eddie Izzard