Great Quotes

Beawulf

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

Carl Jung

The frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives.

Native American Proverb

A drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts.

Steve Fergosi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if you want to go for the great qoutes you should listen to the great men

"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone " Jesus Christ according to the New Testament

just a little something that some of the more pretentious Christians should remember and remain familiar with ....

I continuously try to remind people of that...and "Judge not lest ye be judged"

And why should we not judge? Because if we judge others, we will also judge ourselves ... and that's the most vindictive judgment of all! Unfortunately, self-judgment can lead to judging others ...

I was halfway through typing a response to this when I realized that by doing so I was casting judgement on people other than myself. This is not my perview so I hearby decline to post my original response in keeping with my beliefs on the subject. After all, "people in glass houses...etc."

"In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the mind, there are no limits."

Dr. John C. Lilly, 1964 (after doing LSD research in isolation/sensory depravation tanks)

• 2 weeks later...

How about some non-serious quotes?

"Doh!" - Homer Simpson

"IIII. Haaaave. The. Poweeeer." - He-Man

"Que?" - Manuel from Fawlty Towers

"I am your father" - Darth Vader

"Autobots, transform and roll out!" - Optimus Prime

xxxxxxxxxxx

How about some cheesy ones?

"Noooooo...." - Luke Skywalker

"Do you feel your breasts firming up?" - Deanna Troi from ST:Insurrection

"I. Did not. Have. Sexual relations with that woman" - Guess who?

• 3 weeks later...
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive … those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences.

One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.

Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who as learned to read, humiliate the person who feels pride, and you cannot oppress people who are not afraid anymore.

There is one great quote that you all missed. Of course by the great Albert Einstein:

“The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it’s comprehensibleâ€ÂÂ

-- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Honest Abe said something like this - "It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and prove it." and "My father taught me how to work.He did not teach me to love it."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said - "Everybody wants to be somebody, but nobody wants to grow" and Confronted by outstanding merit in another, there is no way of saving one's ego except by love"

Can't remember which book it's from (I know it's a Doctor who novel)

"But that was the point of growing uo wasn't it? To stop dreaming and start doing?"

and by tom baker:

"What's the point of being grown up,if you cant be childish?"