Here is what your head can be like

BorisP

you are too defensive, half of your posts are about how right you are and how everyone is persecuting you. try just presenting your ideas "what do you think of this...check out more [reference]" rather than your current approach "i'm right! I have proof! everything you are going to say is wrong so dont bother!"

Exactly

Thanks for the laugh. It is so predictable to watch people pile on after a person makes an admission. I am right. If you were to make a rational and fair reading of the responses to my posts, you would see that I am persecuted. It is right there in other peoples words for anyone to see. You are just unhappy because I have the gall to actually point it out instead of politely ignoring it and allowing people to get away with it.

Here is the deal. There are leaders and followers in the world. Followers try to drag down the leaders. It is a law of nature. The Followers will do anything to drag the leader down.

The leader has 2 choices. He can indulge the Followers. This means that he will slow down, lose speed, they will suck the life and energy out of him. Or he can jettison the dead wood and speed on ahead.

Sort of like Captain Kirk jettisoned the original Star Trek crew and went on to do TJ Hooker, Tek Wars, music, commercials etc. Captain Kirk had to make the decision to jettison the dead wood of the complainers and go ahead and work to his potential. None of them ever did a thing after Star Trek. Kirk made millions and millions and millions of more dollars by ditching them and refusing to heed their complaints.

I can listen to your advice, your pleas, your displeasure. I can change my style to suit you. But in the end, you know what? I think you won't give a damn. I think you will probably care less about what I say. You won't remember a word of it.

I am an old guy. I been watching people forever. At some point in time a person must accept that there are some people that have it and some that don't. I am not the kind of person to ever leave anyone behind. But after years of dealing with people, I think I am going to have to face up to the fact that there are times in life where you must give up on people for your own benefit. You have to admit to yourself they do not have what it takes and let them be.

I am a sentimentalist. That is very hard for me to do.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are just unhappy because I have the gall to actually point it out instead of politely ignoring it and allowing people to get away with it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "you are just unhappy." I was agreeing with him, based on your past history and admissions here on these forums.

Btw, when I posted the above, I had not yet thoroughly read the rest of the thread, but was in process of doing so. I just happened upon this thread for the first time a short while ago

EDIT: And after having read every word of it now, I have nothing further at this time to discuss.

I apologize for being harsh to anyone who is offended. My method of motivation apparently doesn't work.

Apology accepted. I value the fact that you have unique ideas and want to share them. It is great that your mind works at a million miles an hour and you think about a variety of different things. When I look like I am starting into the distance that is usually all I'm doing :stare:

It is probably a lost cause to motivate everyone to participate in deep thought provoking discussions. i think that handing out insults is more likely to alienate those that do want to participate. If people walk away because they dont understand a point of view it is their loss, let them walk away.

I believe that any theory needs to be argued (in a productive way) it has to be able to put under scrutiny, and this cant happen if there arent opposing views to challenge it. if a theory survives it is stronger and the process encourages us to look at things from different angles and consider alternatives.

I dont know about all of you. but I'm eager for a thought provoking discussion :cyclops:

As for "Data and Spock would never jeer Kirk and say - you don't understand because you are not smart"......I disagree. You don't know intelligent people. Intelligent people communicate with body language, gestures, facial movements, sentence fragments.

Hmmm ... is it any coincidence that I found this today?

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

And as you may have noticed, people have a tendency to gag at original idea. Don't feel bad - track down a copy of John McPhee's Assembling California. It's a great book about plate tectonics and the geology found along I80 in California. It's full of stories about geology and geologists and science and what really happens. McPhee wrote the book by interviewing local geologists about various features visible along the I80. This takes him all around the world - even to Cyprus, as I recall.

Here's why it's an important book for you: One big story theme is about the history of plate tectonics, a theory that is almost as old as I am. The first Geologist to promote the theory was nearly laughed out of his university. He had evidence, he had a PhD, he had a theory that accounted for things quite elegantly, things that the other geologists were trying to explain, and doing a very clumsy job of. He had to suffer years of derision before his theories became mainstream ideas. Now they even teach them in grade-school. I think he had to wait until all the mocking geologists retired.

You're in good company, my friend.

Data and Spock ARE telling the Captains they are stupid. You just don't understand it. When Spock tilts his head and lifts his eyebrow, that is intelligent shortspeak for "you are a fool but I will be patient with your inferior brain". Data did it the other way. Data played the fool to show his superiority.

That's certainly one interpretation. I think that when Spock lifts an eyebrow it is body language for "I think you're wrong," not "You are a fool." Spock would never have served with a fool. Being wrong does not make somebody a fool. Refusing to evaluate evidence contrary to current notions ... now that's a much stronger indicator of foolishness in my book.

If someone is not so smart, a smart person might lower themselves to an even lower level in order not to threaten the other person. I usually speak on the internet in Child Speak. If I talk like myself, no one understands me. Or they get an inferiority complex. To get people to relax and accept me, I have to talk like a high school kid.

I apologize for being harsh to anyone who is offended. My method of motivation apparently doesn't work.

I'm going to suggest that you neither lower yourself, nor raise yourself if you want people to listen to you. You have taunted us with questions and said "Nobody wants to answer me or even think about them."

I have answered a number of those questions. Not just with disputation, but some quite honestly, looking at possibilities rather than the "hard science" of experts.

When I do that, I don't hear back from you. After I watched the video clip of Spiner, I was the only person to answer your question. I have no idea if I was close or way out - well, I was "way out" by current scientific thought - but that's OK, I'm not just a scientist. I have had other experiences that allow me to think with a different perspective.

When you asked about why a head might be elongated, I answered that one, too. I never heard a response back. Perhaps you don't read my posts anymore. I can't blame you. But if you limit dialogue, then you're only going to hear part of the conversation. And you won't be able to read the next paragraph:

As a scientist, I think you're "nuts." But as a human being, I find that your ideas stimulate interesting "why not" types of questions. Because not all my experiences fit into the scientific/empirical world view, I can hypothesize and think in other terms, about other experiences, and other ways of experiencing the world.

The first rule of teaching, though, is to have somebody to teach. Finding a way not to isolate yourself from students is probably your biggest challenge right now.

With sincere appreciation and respect,

/Elderbear

I have to ignore the negativity directed at me. I give back what I get. If I read the negatvity, I want to start kicking. But if I kick back, I am really mean about it. People cry. So instead of making people cry, I vacated the thread.

You probably think I am egotistical for that claim of crying. C4 was crying and screaming wasn't she? Am I egotistical or simply stating reality? Why do all those people scream in the gay threads? Because they kicked me and I smashed them in return.

I just figured out why I am resistant to you. You have taken on a patronizing attitude towards me. You have decided you are my better and you can counsel me.

You are not my better. You don't understand the smallest bit of anything I have described in any of my posts. You were kind and nice, you humored me because you consider yourself a friendly and helpful person.

You mistake my openness with my emotions and my thoughts as....childishness? Go ahead. I act the way I do and speak the way I do purposefully. You think I do it unknowingly.

Now that I read in the other post that you are almost a psychologist, I can see we will not get very far. You are not you anymore. Your head is filled with the theories of a cocaine addled German Jew. You use these theories created by a man on drugs, which only apply to people on drugs, to try and change regular normal people.

Doesn't that just sound wrong? Using cocaine addled theories for people addicted to drugs to change normal people? It is like using dog veterinary medicine to help a human being. You need to go to a forum for drug addicted individuals and do your thing there, where it applies. We are all normal people here at the Sci Fi niteshadow forums.

I think your mind has been irrevocably poisoned by that psychology stuff. You will never be genuine and honest again. You will always be calculating and thinking in every relationship with every person you meet for the rest of your life.

hey borisp i have read the last dozen or so posts and realise i fall into the same category as elderbear. tho i am not about to qualify as a psychologist i have had my mind poisoned by working for the dept of psychiatry for the last 9 or so years.

still, musnt grumble.

i also agree with elderbear that as a person you throw up some provocative statements (but do not enterin to discussion apart from to retaliate against unfair treatment) as a fellow human being. but as a professional (which i cant claim) so as an experienced employee of the D.O.P i would say that you have issues to work on.

i wonder if there is a nice person behind your theories. i would like to see him in the forum. i am almost certain that if you dropped them and participated in the proceedings here that, firstly , you would enjoy yourself and secondly, that you would be appreciated for your contribution by all other members.

this DOES NOT MEAN that you should stop thinking the way you think, or, being who you are simply that it would be good to see you participate rather than control.

none of this is advice, simply observation

on a personal level, i do not want your theories shoved down my throat. i use this forum for fun.

have you posted a pic yet in the pc and you thread yet?

as a last word.

i think you lack the eloquence necessary to express your ideas. you rush in to things and present ideas without considering how they will look to others. i know i have been guilty of that in the past when very stressed, and have written a load of garbage.

the thing is that if you havent got the ability to slow down and express yourself properly i would humbly suggest that you dont post some of your more involved ideas because youre gonna look like ur a bit loopy and recent history has shown resentment from people who dont understand what you are driving at.

good luck borisp

I just figured out why I am resistant to you. You have taken on a patronizing attitude towards me. You have decided you are my better and you can counsel me.

I'm just arrogant enough to share my ideas - even with people who are far more learned in their fields than I am. I'm not a geologist, I do research in space physics. My training is in data acquisition and analysis - but that doesn't stop me from proposing experimental observations to the theoretical physicist that I work for. Half the time my ideas are dead wrong and useless, but I learn something from proposing a wrong idea. Sometimes my ideas are wrong, but lead to a better solution. Other times, I've actually enabled some incredible experiments, just by "counseling" my boss (IQ 178, Rice University PhD in Space Physics and Plasmas - and I don't quite qualify for MENSA).

I wouldn't call what I gave you counseling though, but feedback. It doesn't make me better than you. I do believe that I am better equipped for doing science than you are - because I have a lot of experience doing it, in all its phases. Yes, I've only been active in a few knowledge domains. And that doesn't qualify me as an expert in any other domain - I'm an amateur. But unlike other amateurs w/o experiences in doing science, I am well qualified to apply the scientific method. That certainly doesn't make my conclusions right - but at least you'll know what kind of thought process I follow to reach them.

You are not my better. You don't understand the smallest bit of anything I have described in any of my posts. You were kind and nice, you humored me because you consider yourself a friendly and helpful person.

I work to be a friendly and helpful person. By nature I am an angry and canterkerous misanthropist who would grovel for the affection of another. I'm not better than anybody - but I am, perhaps, better qualified in some things. Yes. I want to be kind, to be nice, to be considerate. That kind of behavior only reinforces the character I want to develop. But I don't believe I've humored you. At least not intentionally. When I've argued with you, I've done it honestly. When I've tried to tune in to a different approach to thought, I've also done that honestly, and done it - not to make you feel good - but to expand my way of thinking, to keep from getting trapped in a rut.

You mistake my openness with my emotions and my thoughts as....childishness? Go ahead. I act the way I do and speak the way I do purposefully. You think I do it unknowingly.

Did I say or imply that? You've got me confused. I don't see you as a child, unless I see you as a Child of the Universe.

Now that I read in the other post that you are almost a psychologist, I can see we will not get very far. You are not you anymore. Your head is filled with the theories of a cocaine addled German Jew. You use these theories created by a man on drugs, which only apply to people on drugs, to try and change regular normal people.

You're confusing psychotherapist (my training) with Freudian Psychoanalysis (which I think is nuts). If I had to choose one of the classic schools of psychoanalysis/analytic psychology, it would be that of Carl Jung, who had his own flaws, but was much more interesting and honest than Freud. Also, a guy you might like, Wilhelm Reich, has fascinated me - one of the few psychiatrists (even though he was a student of Freud's) to work with human chi or "energy."

I'm an existential ecclectic therapist. I do what works:

Cognitive-behavioral therapy frequently helps people find quick relief while giving them a set of tools that can help them change their life, without having to rely on a therapist. This is based on the works of Beck and Ellis. Basically it considers that our emotions impact our thoughts which trigger our emotions ... in a vicious circle.

Psychiatrists generally try to prescribe chemicals to get the emotions in balance. Cognitive-behavioral practitioners use socratic questioning to help clients detect the cognitive distortions, judgments, and triggering thoughts that lead them to have hurtful emotions. In the process, the client learns about themselves, learns about illogical assumptions they make about the world, learns to reframe formerly problematic situations to encounters which are not so damaging. There's plenty of research out there to demonstrate that Cognitive-Behaviorl Therapy (CBT) is as effective (if not better) than psychotropic medications for a lot of disorders. I like this tool because it can lead to a rapid change in status - a client can find help almost immediately.

But this is not the only tool. I like existential psychotherapy, because it becomes a running dialogue, where the therapist listens, reflects, and questions the client. Whatever is in the room is the content of therapy - existentialists don't go back into the past, they work with the past in the present. They don't regress adults, they help adults to strengthen and to heal their regressive impulses (eck! psychobabble) so they can live a more mature life.

Also, I've been trained a bit in doing trauma therapy. It's the most difficult work I've ever done. Not something I want to do a lot of - but there are few who have been trained to do it competently. It can make a huge difference in the life of somebody who's suffered an assault, a rape, had their house burn down around them, etc.

I also do trancework ... I'm trained in clinical hypnosis, but prefer to use trancework. I like my clients empowered, guiding the trance. Perhaps I'll post a torrent of a trance CD I once authored if anybody wants to know what I'm talking about.

think your mind has been irrevocably poisoned by that psychology stuff. You will never be genuine and honest again. You will always be calculating and thinking in every relationship with every person you meet for the rest of your life.

That's what a lot of people think. But when you examine it, it's utterly wrong. If anybody wants my psychological help, they are going to have to plunk down $125 for 50 minutes of my time. Otherwise, I'll refer them to a cheaper clinic. Why on earth would I squander my mind analyzing everybody?!? It's so much simpler to just relate honestly. (that might sound like a lot, but after expenses and overhead, it's the survive like an engineer/scientist point for 10-20 clients/week - and it takes a good 10-20 hours a week of marketing, networking, teaching, and public speaking to maintain the practice.)

There is one place, though, where I do use my training in ordinary life - that is to try to be a more effective listener. It's made a huge difference with my wife and my kids. They know I'm paying attentions, not just patronizing them with a smile and a nod while my mind is 1,000,000 miles away.

So there you have it ... it looks like we are learning more about each other, BorisP, and in my book, that's not a bad thing.

I'm an existential ecclectic therapist. I do what works:

good show dude. i go along with the idea that patients instinctively know what will put them on the road to recovery. if they say "thats what i need" then why not give it to them if they think it will help, and obviously providing that it will do no harm.

EDIT: and is part of a supportive treatment programme, and the patient has access to star trek and chocolate biscuits 24hours a day

sadly many others, doc's included dismiss the patients ideas thinking them incapable.

Guest c4evap
C4 was crying and screaming wasn't she?

You know BorisP...I've stayed away from posting to you because I didn't want anymore trouble with you. You continue to toss my name around like I'm your personal devil. Gawd...please give it a rest. I am really sick and tired of your childish games. You've heard much the same from many good people on this forum. Please seek help...and please, please leave my name out of your rantings and ravings. C'mon...do the right thing...

...a thousand and one frenchmen can't be wrong...

c4 :(

Guest c4evap
So much tension flying around. Can't we all just get along?

Accusations and insults are a caged animal. Don't poke it or look it too closely in the eye...

Everyone is trying. I'm just plain fed up.

So much tension flying around. Can't we all just get along?

Accusations and insults are a caged animal. Don't poke it or look it too closely in the eye...

Everyone is trying. I'm just plain fed up.

me too.

so, who's up for a long weekend surfing the maldives?

there might be enouh beer on the collective islands to satisfy me :cyclops:

This model of how the head functions can be used to explain why Sigmund Freud the cokehead was a sick man with a damaged brain. Why his theories are sex oriented. Why applying his coke addled theories to normal people is the height of irresponsibility and lunacy.

But I am just a nutball. So please continue backslapping each other and pointing at me.