BorisP Topic Handling

elderbear

Me again...if it's such a thorn in your side just delete them. I mentioned in a thread about this subject that if I ran across a thread like that I just moved on so I can't honestly say what he did wrong, because boring me isn't wrong, just borring.

If you think they should go for the best intrest of cleaning up the clutter on the boards (And you know theres's alot of clutter) then do it. If your concscience is telling you that you need permission then you probably should just leave the dead horse be.

If you were me, it would all be an ego thing "HEY< LOOK AT ME!!!", but since you aren't me you must answer he question yourself. Is it in thier best intrest or my own?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has BorisP's account been deleted, either by an admin / moderator? And how do we know that he didn't send himself an invite before he "decided to leave"? Seems all to conviniant that he decited on the better part of valor right as the debate heated up. BorisP dies, only to come back with a new username. Kinda like a sick penis obsessed version of Doctor Who / The Master, lol.

Well, perhaps now I'll rejoin the forum.

Some weeks ago Boris let loose a stream of invective agaisnt me in a topic on a repost of the Pyramids of Mars. [http://tracker.thompson-web.org/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=2825] To quote:

... nasty stuff deleted for brevity and sanity ...

Emphasis added by me.

It was the complete lack of action by board moderators that I found insulting, and so I, too, left, returning only to announce posts.

I'm no masochist. I don't have to allow someone to speak to me that way. If Boris is gone, this forum can only be better. Leave his posts. If there'd been the precedent of a departure over similar material, we might have spared ourselves Boris in the first place.

Response to StevenofNine

I'm really sorry I didn't catch this. We moderators are not omniscient. If this happens to you (or anybody) in the future, please PM me, von Helton, FenrisWolf, or NiteShdw (or any other mod) and bring it to our attention.

The insult to you (from us) was not intentional - I have long valued your input here. I have had some intense conversations via PM with others who reminded me of my duty to make sure that if this happens it is speadily dealt with. So next time, please don't take offense before receiving a reply to your PM. I'm glad you're back and willing to give the boards a second shot - and I'm glad that others who I value a great deal have stuck it out, too.

Account Banning

Only NiteShdw can ban somebody - and he has banned BorisP. If Boris sent himself an invite before leaving and reappears, he will either have to completely change or get banned again. Since we've all learned from the past, it will be a much faster process if anybody drifts that far out of line and doesn't respond to warnings.

Purpose of Poll

The poll isn't to "get permission" or a truly democratic vote. I wanted to find out what kind of concsensus/feedback members had before acting. There seems to be rougly a 3-way split between delete-lock-leave alone. NiteShdw has yet to weigh in.

Personally, I'm leaning towards locking the threads, putting a moderator notice at the top of each one to give historical context and say "this is not OK."

But I'm letting everybody who's interested inform me. Given the controversy that's surrounded this episode in our community, I will probably run one more poll or topic, stating my intention, and asking if anybody objects strongly enough to "block" it.

Penance

It has been suggested that as an act of contrition for letting things get so out of hand, and not moderating BorisP as strongly as I should have, I go back and moderate every single Mirror Universe thread of his. Not sure if I'm up to that or not ... but it would emphasize the lessons I've learned.

Thanks everybody for your input, keep it up - this is our community, and I'm looking forward to getting back to "normal" whatever that may be!

Guest c4evap

I say finish taking out the trash.

trash.gif

EDIT: Thought I was seeing things for a while. Every topic area I entered had this thread in it. Thought maybe BorisP found a way to haunt me. Spooky...

c4 B)

Penance

It has been suggested that as an act of contrition for letting things get so out of hand, and not moderating BorisP as strongly as I should have, I go back and moderate every single Mirror Universe thread of his. Not sure if I'm up to that or not ... but it would emphasize the lessons I've learned.

Thanks everybody for your input, keep it up - this is our community, and I'm looking forward to getting back to "normal" whatever that may be!

I feel that if the threads get moderated at this stage we might as well delete them. To be an effective warning against such behaviour they should remain intact (and locked).

I voted leave them as they are, but in all honesty I have to say that I've never read any of them so maybe you shouldn't count my vote since I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about... although this thread gives me a small impression (I'm glad I didn't waste my time on it) :rolleyes:

Thought I was seeing things for a while. Every topic area I entered had this thread in it. Thought maybe BorisP found a way to haunt me. Spooky...

c4 B)

I made the thread "Global" - if I can change that, I will in a few days.

Steven,

Man, you have no idea how happy I am to see you, and how happy I am to see this reply from you:

Well, perhaps now I'll rejoin the forum.

It was the complete lack of action by board moderators that I found insulting, and so I, too, left, returning only to announce posts.

I'm no masochist. I don't have to allow someone to speak to me that way. If Boris is gone, this forum can only be better. Leave his posts. If there'd been the precedent of a departure over similar material, we might have spared ourselves Boris in the first place.

I recall reading that thread, and that post to you from Boris, about a month ago now. When I read it, and saw what he wrote (I read it a few days late), I PM'd Elder, and thanked him for not editing or censoring it! Why? Because it showed a perfect example of what BorisP's true colors are! And now, having read Elders reply, he may have simply overlooked the words back then, as Boris was really posting long rants, and the rants are hard to read in their entirety.

I had hoped that you saw it that way as well, and now I'm really bummed out that you took offense to it, for like I said, it was a great example for others to see his true colors...Thinking back, had I known what you were going thru, I would have communicated with you via PM or something, as for all these weeks now, I and I'm sure others, had no idea what you were going thru.

Anyhow, at this point in time, I'm really leaning to Elder and others to just leave the threads as they are, unedited, and unlocked. They will fade away, sort of, and like others have said, will and can be used as an example for others to see/read, as an approach to not take in a public forum.

Welcome Back, Steven!!!

sadly on forums or message boards you always get the odd idiot that likes to insult people...there end goal for doing this is to get them to bite back, which to me is pathetic and they do deserve any forms of banning. Best thing is not to bite to there chidish and inmature behavoiur.

I have to be honest theres been a odd thread where i have had to refrain commenting on as i knew that my view may of offended or upset others. But I am sure that afew of us have been mature enough to do the same.

I have been one of the admins for a Armed forces community over on MSN for afew years called frontline and i know how easy it is to miss a thread sometimes where people have not been resepectful towards others so you cant really blame the moderators.

end of the day 99% of all us users are decent, polite and respectful to others on here, this boris is now history.

Have I missed something here? Who is BorisP and why has he left?

Unless you like a good roll in the mud, you didn't miss anything. But, if you want to inflict this on yourself, check out the Ten Forward>Mirror Universe>Rura Penthe threads. I'll be shifting more over there for historical purposes.

Short decafe version - BorisP had a lot of ideas that many people found incredulous. BorisP's presentation of his ideas was frequently insulting. Most of us could not dialogue with him in any meaninful fashion, although a number of us tried. In the end, he got into a flame war that helped nobody. When the mods stepped in, he announced he was leaving - at that point he was banned (with cause-he had been warned numerous times and continued to post inappropriately).

Most people involved in that episode of our history breathed a collective sigh of relief. Now we're just deciding what to do with the ashes. NiteShdw's answer was to give us Rura Penthe, so the lessons are never forgotten.

Moderator Announcement

I've moved most of the "offending" topics to Ten Forward > Mirror Universe > Rura Penthe. Not all the BorisP threads were moved ... some of them weren't too bad (or I was the only target) - so I'm OK with leaving them where they are.

If you think I overlooked something that needs moving, PM me and I'll consider moving it.

Lock them but leave them as they are...people have a right to view his ugly thoughts. It would be a more fitting punishment to leave them up, but with a note explaining he was asked to leave...or maybe a note about what the majority vote was. (How most of us felt)