BorisP Topic Handling

elderbear

BorisP has announced his departure and is gone. Since many of his posts were at the heart of a lot of controversy - and since I was in the early stages of the exhausting task of moderating those topics, I'd like some direction from the members. Should I finish cleaning up the topics? Should I leave them, but lock them, to serve as an example of how low things can sink? Should I finish moderating (it will be a background task for me). Can I just delete them - I won't do this unless NiteShdw is strongly in favor of it or it receives a "hypermajority" of votes)?

EDIT: This does not refer to BorisP's flame-free topics, such as sci-fi authors or Dr. Who topics. Just the MIRROR UNIVERSE threads that turned into a big mess.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

leave them alone, you can't just delete them. they are part of this forum.

Hence my requiring a hypermajority (67% or more, in my mind - possibly as high as 80%) to even consider deleting them. Of course, NiteShdw has the final say if he chooses to weigh in.

Lock them if for no other reason than to slow down the controversy . If BorisP were still here i would say leave them alone but as he is not here to defend himself the proper thing would be to lock posts that are controversial if but for a few days then unlock them

just my very humble opinion

Guest Mrthumps

I voted for leave them alone. Doing anything more would just feed his need for the attention that he has gotten during his time here.

Let his threads slowly die off and fade away as the people on the forum move on.

I would prefer to not see threads being deleted, but in fairness to others who have recently had their own posts censored, and to new forum members who might look at older threads (which seems to occur quite often) I feel that it is only fair that older posts from Boris be censored as well.

Now, I am not stupid. To do so would be a monumental, virtually pointless task, but, I'm just trying to make a point here. Many of Boris's posts in recent weeks, and some going back to early April, were far more offensive and in need of editing, then the few posts here and there that I have noticed were deleted/edited/censored in the past 24 hours or so.

This is a hard decision. I am personally not in favor of locking the topics; however, a part of me thinks it would not be fair to BorisP, since he will no longer be participating in the conversation. The first resolution seems reasonable, but since I have not read every post of his in detail there could be questionable material that needs to be modded. I ultimately went with the second choice, however I don't think my mind is made up. Maybe they need locked, but I would not considering deleting them (it could raise more problems than the posts).

Tough decision, without a doubt.

I voted to lock the threads as they are, but I would like to note that this would not be my preference for EVERY topic he created. Anything that has a fair amount to do with sci fi should be left open, so long as they were not turned into flaming threads.

leave them as they are and lock, they can be a warning to others.

If there are threads with sci fi value (is there?) that people want to discuss they can start a new thread on the topic, otherwise new members might start posting responses to boris not realising he has gone.

I voted to lock the threads as they are' date=' but I would like to note that this would not be my preference for EVERY topic he created. Anything that has a fair amount to do with sci fi should be left open, so long as they were not turned into flaming threads. [/quote']

Thanks for mentioning his sci-fi oriented stuff - I didn't have that in mind at all, just the threads that filled with flame.

Well, perhaps now I'll rejoin the forum.

Some weeks ago Boris let loose a stream of invective agaisnt me in a topic on a repost of the Pyramids of Mars. [http://tracker.thompson-web.org/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=2825] To quote:

Steven, you got a big mouth and you don't know squat. You are a professional liar.

What is it that I am inexperienced at? You know all about me right? Please share with everyone what it is that I am inexperienced at. Or would that show you to be the liar you are?

Wrong? You are clueless. I made you angry so now you are doing what you can to get even with me. I don't even remember what I said to anger you. You obviously do. I just remember your name in one of the censored threads.

Spouting back rhetoric? Evil has it easy. That is why evil rules the world today. This man? StevenofNine can make up and despicable awful thing he wants about me. Everything you say is nothing more than an opinion. You have never met me in real life and you don't know me.

You are a typical FOX news watcher who attacks people personally. If you were so certain I was wrong about homosexuality, you could convince me. You can't convince me so you pull this personal attack stuff that is the work of Satan.

You arrogant #### Steven. Why don't you suck my cock? And if you want to ban me, go ahead. You people need me. I don't need you. Torrents are nice yes. I give back what I take.

To listen to this abuse from this lying piece of #### is too much. Someone open a thread that remains open and is not censored and I will prove Steven is a mental midget who either works for Israel or he is a gay person who is upset about what I said about gays. Upset does not mean he is right.

Science is about what is right. Not which person sold their soul to Satan for the ultimate skill at lying.

Emphasis added by me.

It was the complete lack of action by board moderators that I found insulting, and so I, too, left, returning only to announce posts.

I'm no masochist. I don't have to allow someone to speak to me that way. If Boris is gone, this forum can only be better. Leave his posts. If there'd been the precedent of a departure over similar material, we might have spared ourselves Boris in the first place.