what past characters would you most like to see come back in the new series

underscore

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats funny, I thought Eric Saward wrote some of the best Dr who stories ever, Resurrection and Earthshock are in my top 5, I wish there was more up to that violent, bleak and unforgiving standard, much better than stuff from say the over rated tom baker era. Each to there own I guess though.

The stuff Saward wrote was indeed very good. It's the stuff he meddled with that other people wrote where the problem is. Look at the Five Doctors where he smashes continuity by having the 2nd Doctor remember something he shouldn't be able to. Plus, look at some of the stuff he commisioned when he was script editor....Timelash, Trial of a Time Lord, things like that...not to mention forcing his writers to link with the past when he couldn't even keep it all straight. Not to mention his cry baby tendencies.

But he also brutalised the series, which was what it needed, even the new series looks tame in comparison to some of the mid 80's stuff like Vengeance on Varos or Revelation of the Daleks (Glass dalek mutant anyone?). The thing about the 2nd doctor is fine IMO, I allways subscribed to the Season6b theory which Terrance Dicks is doing as books now which is cool, its worth checking out if you havent heard of it. Trial of a timelord is pretty good I thought I never understood why it was so hated, the 80's is probably my favourite decade of who.

The 2nd Doctor remembers that Jaime and Zoe had their memories erased which happened in his last story, so he couldn't remember it. Also Saward added several lines about how great and deadly the cybermen were that weren't in the script. The scene where the 3rd Doctor meets Liz and Mike was also added and it is never explained how he realized they were phantoms; this is probably a good thing as the explanation that the 2nd Doctor gave for his realization is the one that screwed up continuity.

But, the season 6b theories wouldn't have been necessary if Saward knew how to script edit. Personally I'm not a stickler for canon if it gets in the way of a good story. However, if you go out of your way to link stories to the past, get the bloody details right. Saward did that just fine in his own stories, he just couldn't let others' stand. He obviously never heard, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Thats cool, but I LIKE the season 6b theories and im pretty glad they exist personally as they give the second doctor a whole new edge, Terrenge Dicks is writing a whole range of books about it too. I dont see that as a bad thing IMHO.

For those who haven't read those books, can you elaborate on some of the explanations in season 6B as to the second doctor:

- He learned his companions would be returned just moment before he was forced to regenerate and sent on exile to earth

- In the 2 doctors he shows Doctor #6 a device to call the tardis remotely and the 6th doctor doesn't have one of those.

I have to say, I too liked a lot of the 6th Doctor Episodes. I think a lot of people hated Trial because it introduced Mel. Twin dilema was slow and boring, but I really enjoyed Vengence on varos and learning that in his penultimate regeneration, the Doctor would turn evil.

Maybe all timelords turn bad near the end of their regenerations: Master, Borusa, the Doctor, etc...

Season 6b:

After we last see the Doctor in the War Games he is snatched by the CIA (Celestial Intervention Agency) just prior to being regenerated and is sent on a series of missions for them. During this time he has the Five Doctors adventure and is possibly reunited with Jamie and Victoria (leading to the 2 Doctors). When the CIA decide they no longer need him he is forced to regenerate and his malfeasencey sentence is carried out, at which point we pick him up in Spearhead from Space.

Ok thanks.

I like it when other people come and fix problems left by others who don't care much about the series' rich history.

One can only wish the whole deal with the sonic screwdriver gets resolved. :wink:

Which deal is that? In the books the 7th Doctor retrieves the 3rd Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver from an alternate timeline where the Silurians killed him (Blood Heat). Romana gives him her Sonic screwdriver when she, as President of the Time Lords, sends him to retrieve the Master's remains (Lungbarrow). One of theses is later destroyed (Bodysnatchers). Leaving only one. So I don't see the problem.

Which deal is that?

The one where the sonic screwdriver is destroyed and the Doctor says it's like saying goodbye to an old friend.. So in essence, it no longer exists.

Also, it's a standard tool found in the toolbox to fix the Tardis... and doctor #9 not only has it but also hints that he invented it (which to me sort of breaks Who history as much as doctor #8 claiming to be half-human when all his previous incarnations made it clear he was an alien).

that sort of stuff.

UNRELATED BUT I HAD TO COMMENT

Amazing drawing of the Master by the way.