what past characters would you most like to see come back in the new series

underscore

PLEASE DONT DROP SPOILERS IN HERE THOUGH some of us are avoiding them! I think theres a few other threads for that anyway.

What spoilers?

I know some people are new to Dr. Who and may not have seen everything broadcast in the last 40 years, but none of the messages posted so far in this thread seem to reveal some big hidden plot twist or secret.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote ::

PLEASE DONT DROP SPOILERS IN HERE THOUGH some of us are avoiding them! I think theres a few other threads for that anyway.

unquote::

Pretty soon you won't be able to move, breathe, eat, sleep or even digest anything but Dr. Who news in that respect. I suggest you keep clear of the 2005 forum threads then if you're avoiding any kind of spoilers there'll be a lot more than just what's already in the new series news and blasting over the net.

It would be nice to have Ace back but I don't know if Sophie Aldred wants anything else to do with Dr. Who in that respect S0V.

I don't think you can avoid some of this news, the BBC are shouting it from the mountaintop. As far as Ace returning, I think Sophie would be happy to do it. She does th Big Finish audios afterall.

The audios might be a different matter of course, then again with the storming success of the show and the massive budget (great special effects etc) she might leap at the chance to be involved again.

I'd like a multiple doctor story with Mccoy personally. (I know some dont like him or agree so each to there own!)

I'd like to see The Mara return for an episode too, I think its a great monster with still alot you could do with it. I'd like to see a huge giant silver/black terrifiying manifestation of the snake itself.

Each to their own and I can understand and agree with someone elses opinion most of the time, but for the new Dr. Who I really loved it. So they can bring back almost anyone, of course I'd have to be biased and say: The Master.

Perhaps played by Johnathan Pryce *heh*

The role of the Master, IMHO, is one where they would need to go back to tradition. It HAS to be someone who could resurrect the menace that Delgado brought to the role. I know that an early post on this thread complained about the new Doctor (sonic screwdriver, kissing Rose, et al), but to me the biggest Doctor Who travesty was Eric Roberts playing the Master.

That movie was just terrible. You knew something was wrong when the 1st bit said something like "The Master was finally judged for his crimes on Skaro" Skaro? SKARO?? What does Skaro have anything to do with the Master?

And didn't Silverter McCoyturn Skaro's sun into a supernova, destroying the planet?

Then the whole mess about the Tardis being filled with clocks everywhere and the Dr. Listening to a song with the word "TIME'. The Master being movable goo, then being Eric Roberts (who looks more like a wife beater than a person who wants to rule the universe)

Not to mention the Dr. saying he's half human (the worst part of the film) and then killing the master once and for all by having him absorbed by the Tardis.

A whole bunch of nonsense. Shame PM went along with it, he's had much better stories with the big finish audios.

To bad those pesky americans were all British expatriots working in america and not actually americans.

Exposure to American radiation will often turn great creative people into drones spewing formulaic clichés.

Similar to when russian society had to go through the "Stalinizer", adapting British culture via the equivalent "Americanizer" will often result in bland boring mindless pap.

Examples of this include: The 2 american versions of the 'Red Dwarf' Pilot and the aired/un-aired episodes of the American version of 'Coupling'. (to name a few)

Must be something in the water :p

I actually like Roberts on the sole grounds that he didn't try to imitate delgado. He played the Master as if he were unhinged from reality which meant you never knew what he might do. Plus he had some great lines. "You want me to kill you?" He also gets to kill his wife and who hasn't wanted to do that at least once. Besides, Roberts was forced on them; they had wanted Christopher Lloyd, which may have been worse.

To bad those pesky americans were all British expatriots working in america and not actually americans.

Exposure to American radiation will often turn great creative people into drones spewing formulaic clichés.

Similar to when russian society had to go through the "Stalinizer", adapting British culture via the equivalent "Americanizer" will often result in bland boring mindless pap.

Examples of this include: The 2 american versions of the 'Red Dwarf' Pilot and the aired/un-aired episodes of the American version of 'Coupling'. (to name a few)

Must be something in the water :p

The 2 Red Dwarfs and Coupling were destroyed by actual americans (read US) though. The who movie was an attempt by british film makers to market something to an american audience by making something that was niether british or american.

All I ever hear is "car chase in doctor who is an obvious attempt to americanize it" when Pertwee has a much longer and much more "american" style vehicle chase in spiders. Then there is the love interest, most americans don't give a crap about love stories. If this had actually been americanized the Doctor and Grace would have been having sex in the elevator seconds after meeting rather than a kiss in the park hours later. The car chase would have been longer and several vehicles would have been destroyed in spectacular crashes and explosions. We would have seen someone's backside and the plot would have been even thinner than it was. There is a reason I don't have TV and that is that there is nothing good on TV in the US.

Plus who said these British guys were great creative people before they left Britain? IMO the movie is on an even keel with eighties who if not better. I mean, compare it to Timelash, Four to Doomsday, Twin Dilemma and most of the Trial and tell me that they are all better than the Movie. Also the Ainley Master in Trial is as lame as the Roberts Master.

I actually like Roberts on the sole grounds that he didn't try to imitate delgado. He played the Master as if he were unhinged from reality which meant you never knew what he might do. Plus he had some great lines. "You want me to kill you?" He also gets to kill his wife and who hasn't wanted to do that at least once. Besides' date=' Roberts was forced on them; they had wanted Christopher Lloyd, which may have been worse.[/quote']

*screams in terror at the the thought*

Doc Brown as the Master - ARGH!

I was only kidding, with my comment about those pesky americans mr potato ; D dont take it to heart.

Im sure an english version of star trek would suck, just as much as an americanised dr who did. But I do agree with you about a large chunk of 80s who, some of it is a little bit lame. Theres still some great stories there though.

but, you guys can never apologise enough for the red dwarf pilots!!!! Admit it, they just sucked!!!! lmao :)

The who movie was an attempt by british film makers to market something to an american audience by making something that was niether british or american.

here's something americans have a problem with: Sarcasm.

The whole bit I wrote (radiation, red dwarf pilots, something in the water, etc..) that was a joke. You're taking it far too seriously.

most americans don't give a crap about love stories.

That's untrue. Explain all those Sandra Bullock movies then! eh!

There is a reason I don't have TV and that is that there is nothing good on TV in the US.

Seriously, Battlestar Galactica (the new series) is pretty excellent in my view.

Plus who said these British guys were great creative people before they left Britain?

British people are born with talent. It's in their DNA.

Plus they know how to make dramas: Just compare the american produced 'Empire" versus the British produced "I, Claudius".

Case closed.

compare it to Timelash' date=' Four to Doomsday, Twin Dilemma and most of the Trial and tell me that they are all better than the Movie.[/quote']

They are better than the movie.

Timelash had Avon in it, are you kidding me ??

Companion 'Mel' was better than that movie :stare:

here's something americans have a problem with: Sarcasm.

The whole bit I wrote (radiation, red dwarf pilots, something in the water, etc..) that was a joke. You're taking it far too seriously.

Anyone who has seen my previous posts might argue the sarcasm bit. As for Sandra Bullock movies, I can't explain that...maybe she has a large extended family. Galactica proves my point about sex, not love, being the primary motivator on US TV (hot cylon babes whose spines glow when they have sex). And as for creative brits, explain Eric Saward to me.

Oh, and underscore, the Red Dwarf abominations did suck, hence the word "abominations".

As for Sandra Bullock movies' date=' I can't explain that...[/quote']

(to be said in The Master's voice)

haha! We have you now Doctor, prepare to die!

And as for creative brits' date=' explain Eric Saward to me.[/quote']

Every generation has 1 or 2 mutants.

I believe Leonard Nimoy used to have a series where he explained the unexplainable: UFO's, Big Foot, The Pyramids, Eric Saward, etc...

:p