Death of James Doohan

frodoxxx

It's so sad that yet another great Trek actor has passed.

I loved the TNG episode where they rescued him from transporter stasis after all those years, and he sacrificed himself for the Enterprise-D at the end.

It's a shame. Jimmy will be missed. I suspected this was going to happen after his retirmenet for health reasons, but I thought he would be with us a bit longer.

I guess that we have been lucky that so many of the orginal series cast are still with us after 40 years.

Yeah, that's plain awfull news!! I just read the news on the CNN website! It's a pretty good article, you should read it!

Did you guys know he was a WWII vet? I sure didn't! And that he had a last kid at the age of 80!! :stare:

I'm really sad. :( I hate the fact that he's gone. I too really liked the TNG ep featuring him. Actually, I really liked his character in nearly all eps he played in. He never got many good lyrics in TOS though...

I will wear black the rest of the week.... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

There's one more of the crew I won't get to meet. He seemed like such a good person' date=' too, from what I heard about him. He was also a Canadian.[/quote']

Actually, I thought he became a US citizen. I'm almost positive that he has lived in Washington state for many years.

Doohan has been sick for some time and I've been expecting this news for a while, but it's still a bit of a shock. The good thing is that he lived 85 years and seemed very appreciative of Star Trek fans and their constant support. By the way, Doohan and Willam Shatner had a frosty relationship for years, but it was nice to hear that they made up a few years ago when Doohan's health began to deteriorate.

One of my favorite moments. "By Any Other Name" The Kelvans, aliens from the Andromeda Galaxy, had taken over the crew and reduced them to crystalline blocks. Kirk and Gang have to get back control of the Enterprise. Scotty's job was to occupy one of the Kelvans so he decided to get him drunk. It took him a while and he had to break out his best Scotch. He "the Kelvan" finally falls asleep and Scotty takes the device from his belt and then sits down in the doorway trashed.

Even though we will miss him this make me want to start at the beginning and do a

Star Trek marathon.

One of my favorite moments. "By Any Other Name" The Kelvans' date=' aliens from the Andromeda Galaxy, had taken over the crew and reduced them to crystalline blocks. Kirk and Gang have to get back control of the Enterprise. Scotty's job was to occupy one of the Kelvans so he decided to get him drunk. [/quote']

I loved this episode too. When he picked up the bottle and the Kelvan asked what it was, he looks at it for a bit and then says "It's Green". Priceless :D

Few people knew this, but he fought on Juno Beach on D-Day as a machine gunner where he took 6 hits. One of which took his right hand middle finger off, one in his chest and four in his legs. He managed to hide the middle finger from the screen, but I'm sure you'll see somewhere.

Another interesting point about him was that he was a linguist and created both the Vulcan AND Klingon languages. Both of which were taken up by fans and filled out to be what we know now.

Anyway, what a man.

RIP Jimmy.

Yeah, Scotty was the postrer child for making Engineering cool. LaForge? Pfffft, that guy could never hold a candle to Scotties supreme coolness.

Scottie is the main reason why I never feel bad or guilty about drinking liquor at work, on the clock, jurry rigging broken equipment with whatever is handy (Okay, I got SOME of that from Richard Dean Anderson) and picking a fight with a table of Klingons that call my 1976 El Camino a garbage scow.