Why pick on Janeway?

Guest c4evap

Guest c4evap

Why are all you SOBs constantly picking on Janeway. Don't you have anything better to do?

(You'd better have a good answer or I'm coming over and kick some butt...)

c4 :p

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

2..makes self righteous speeches all the time as if she's morally superior to everyone else (i.e bad scripts)

snip

That's Berman's fault. I don't care if he didn't write the scripts (did he?) but it's still his fault.

Janeway still rules, although she turned down Q :P

All you guys that rag on Janeway are just jealous because deep inside you know that she wouldn't give you the time of day. Now on the other hand if she were to meet me, she would prostrate herself at my feet and declare her absolute devotion

It's interesting to see how we all have different opinions about things. Some hate Voyager, some love it. Some love Firefly, some, can't stand it. Many just LOVE Dr Who, many can't stand Dr Who. Same with Babylon 5, ... etc...

What bugs me tho, is the people who seem to feel that others should see things the way they do, based on their own opinions about a show or even a particular episode.

Personally, I really enjoyed Voyager, and place it above DS9 on my own personal list of Trek favs, even higher then TNG.

Also, I really liked Janeway as the character. I also liked the diversity of all the main crew on Voyager, and getting to know them over the 7 year run.

In regards to Kate Mulgrew, anyone who was first publically known as "Mrs. Columbo" (yes, she was actually married to him on the USA TV show "Columbo" during the later part of that series) about 25 to 30 years ago now, can't be all that bad.... Her voice was the same then as it is now, very unique, and grough.... it was her voice that attracted attention to herself. And to think, back then, she must have been in her 20's .

Why are all you SOBs constantly picking on Janeway.

Because she (and all ther other characters) were *mod-edit* for Brannan Braga's lousy writing.

It's hard to enjoy a show where I can predict the ending after only 10 minutes. Soooo predictable.

troy

You could predict most of the TNG-endlings as well after a couple of scenes - this is no special VOY problem.

I see little difference between the stories in TNG and VOY. But that only proves to me how much better the TNG characters and actors were compared to the VOY cast (except for troi who sucks).

whatever you may say about Janeway' date=' Kate Mulgrew is a great actress and plays the roll of Janeway superbly.[/quote']

Yep, have to agree with this 100%. She is one of my favourite actresses.

And Janeway is still my favourite captain :p

i think she did a great job. as for all the janeway haters' date=' they hate her because she was a woman.[/quote']

I didn't hate her for being a woman. To be fair, I don't hate her...I'd just put her last in a poll of captains. She was too mumsie to her crew and I'd have liked her to have been a bit tougher. A crewmember would die for Picard, Kirk or Sisko but with Janeway you'd try your luck for asking to get out of the mission.

And people are correct in saying that her character didn't develop at all...there was a perfectly good arc of her being a regular captain having to be THE leader of these people that was missed.

she isnt my favourite captain but I wouldnt go so far as trashing her. All my dissatisfaction stems from the quality of the writting. I think Kate Mulgrew did what she could with the role and isnt a bad actor. I agree that the writers and Brannon should have done more overall to develop her character. All in all, voyager is my second fav trek series.

I mentioned in another thread that I dont think voyager would fare as well as a movie, not as long as brannon is doing it. He likes his formulae and cliche's too much. Knowing our luck we'd probably ending up with a Jaja binks type comic relief :P.

I'd like to see a season of voyager now they are back in the alpha quadrant, give the ship some of the latest upgrades and let em loose. I think it would be good.

I don't THINK that I've ever publiclly said an unkind word about Janeway, but yeah, I'll be honest. Her and I were both in the same Warp Field Mechanics course at SFU, something of rivals, as I'm told. I was attracted to her brilliant scientific mind, so I asked her out one day.

Well, she shot me down, and poured a cup of coffee in my lap and took off laughing with that Vulcan. So yeah, maybe I've been a little bitter about her ever since, but hey, thats my reason. Take it or leave it.

Guest c4evap

Well, I must say I am gratified to see so many positive responses. Even most of the people who didn't care for Janeway tended to blame the scripts. So...at this point...let me just say this...

JANEWAY STILL RULES!

c4 :D ~You go girl!

You could predict most of the TNG-endlings as well after a couple of scenes - this is no special VOY problem.
Disagree. I re-watched TNG this past summer, and it was generally un-predictable. That's because TNG had strong, good writers like Michael Pillar, Robert Wolfe, Ira Behr, Ron Moore who knew how to add mystery/suspense.

VOY did not have those people... just second-rate staffers. And lousy show-runners like Brannan Braga.

i think she did a great job. as for all the janeway haters' date=' they hate her because she was a woman.[/quote']

Nonsense. I (and probably others) could rattle off all kinds of good woman commanders/captains.

And my dislike of Janeway is about equal to my dislike of Archer. So it's an equal-opportunity dislike.

troy