Rate The Avatar Above You (Part 2)

Engineer101

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very patriotic flag of the USA' date=' for those who do not know, the Blue and the Stars of the American Flag is called the Union. Now the Union is facing forward because it is a symbol that the United States Union never retreats. It is most commonly used in the Military.[/quote']

Well, at the risked of being proved an ass...

No kidding it's an American Flag, and it's backwards, which unless it's worn on the right sleeve of a uniform or the right side of a vehichle (like it's blowing in the breeze from the motion of the vehichle) should always have the Union in the upper left corner. Even though I'm from Texas, we take the flag seriously and I was always taught that displaying it backwards was disrespectful to the flag...please see flag code below.

Section 7, paragraph i;

When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

You can find this and more at this address - Flag Rules and Regulations

Otherwise, look who is above me, thanks Stitch, I was able to use this one a little differently...yeah, I'm in a pissy mood tonight.

My god' date=' str82u I had no idea there were so many rules regarding the amarican flag. Very interesting and educational read, thanks for the info. Looks like GhostShadow made an honest mistake.[/quote']

Well isn't he right - that it means the United States Union never retreats as he said - I don't really know but it makes sense....

I don't see why the way Ghostshadow displays the flag should be insulting - there are patches that would be used on military uniforms that would be displayed this way

Okay, I don't see why this is such a big deal, so I'm gonna use some pictures to clear this thing up. GhostShadow's pic is technichally correct, in regards to a military uniform. And the only military uniform that has a nationality patch on it that I can think of off the top of my head, is the the people on Atlantis.

sga-team.jpg

Above. promo shot of the cast of Atlantis. Wier and Sheppard have American flag patches on their left shoulders, and I think Atlantis mission patches on their right.

sga-team_invert.jpg

Above: Lets pretend that for the sake of argument that they have USA flags on both sides. If they were to show their right shoulders, the patches would be inverted (like GS's pic) to have the blue field facing forwards.

It's basically the same idea as standing in a mirror (, darkly ;) )and moving your left arm, and seeing it as your right arm in the mirror.

That's why Canada, made their flags they way they did, to save money on making two different patches my making it symetrical, lol

I added somthing to my signature - i would have liked this to be my Avatar (with improvments) but i understand that not everyone has fast download speeds. :) - I had to seriously cut down the frames and quality to get this. Originaly it was 700K!!! - but i was able to cut it down to 96K. (sorry 56k people) :)

This is a very patriotic flag of the USA' date=' for those who do not know, the Blue and the Stars of the American Flag is called the Union. Now the Union is facing forward because it is a symbol that the United States Union never retreats. It is most commonly used in the Military.[/quote']

No kidding it's an American Flag, and it's backwards, which unless it's worn on the right sleeve of a uniform or the right side of a vehichle (like it's blowing in the breeze from the motion of the vehichle) should always have the Union in the upper left corner. Even though I'm from Texas, we take the flag seriously and I was always taught that displaying it backwards was disrespectful to the flag...please see flag code below.

Section 7, paragraph i;

When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

Otherwise, look who is above me, thanks Stitch, I was able to use this one a little differently...yeah, I'm in a pissy mood tonight.

Very astute... This is a fourm, i am putting it up to show my patrioic spirit..... I have a badge on my right sleve of my jacket like this one. I am too serious about the flag, and to me the only way to disrespect it is to burn it.

Would it make you feel better if i made an avatar of it blowing in the wind? either way, it is still patriotic.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I can't believe I've been off the site for about as long ago as when I posted that, I come back on today right where I left off. That's got to be a sign, whether you believe in that or not.

I'd post an image for you, but that's your business.

EDIT: to get this back on track, I'm still waiting for someone to rate this avatar before I trash it. No, it's not sci-fi, but it does show I have at least a slight sense of humor.

Section 7, paragraph i;

Very astute... This is a fourm, i am putting it up to show my patrioic spirit..... I have a badge on my right sleve of my jacket like this one. I am too serious about the flag, and to me the only way to disrespect it is to burn it.

Would it make you feel better if i made an avatar of it blowing in the wind? either way, it is still patriotic.

There's nothing (IMHO) unpatriotic about burning the flag. It's our right as Americans. Geez...it's really only a piece of cloth anyway...a symbol. Anyways, I thought this thread was about "rating the avatar above yours" not about pics in the sigs...?

c4 B)