Marriage

synexo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's offensive?

As a graduate in Medieval History, Christians and other religions pretending that marriage is this SACRED and HOLY right that has been as such since the dawn of time.

As with religion - what a bag of half truths and lies.

Marriage was originally and remained for millenia, a method of property transaction. Women were little more than a means of conferring power between families. Cementing alliances etc. The only reasons that the Church became involved is because priests were generally the only literate people.

As the West becomes (with the exception of some backward ex-colonials in North America) increasingly secular and liberal, such things become increasingly meaningless.

Let me ask you all a question.

Have you ever heard of Islam, Christanity and Juadism all living side by side... not in perfect harmony... but at least coexisting peacefully? You know when that was? That was al-Andalus in the 8th century, the Iberian penisula. Ironically, al-Andalus was destroyed as much by fanatical Christians as fanatical Muslims... but at the time, Islam in that part of the world was secular and far more advanced than anything that might come for centuries to come.

Anyway - the moral of the story is, fundamental religion can always be defeated by Optimus Prime and Autobots. So rub your thermal sticker and make sure all your toys are Autobots.

I'm 90% sure that's the moral of this thread.

Anyway - the moral of the story is, fundamental religion can always be defeated by Optimus Prime and Autobots. So rub your thermal sticker and make sure all your toys are Autobots.

I'm 90% sure that's the moral of this thread.

Fair Enough

Century ago it was a norm for a 14-15 yrs old girl to get married or even have children by that time. In Japan for example legal age for gils to have sex is 14 , for marriage it's 16 .

Other real- life example . On my street I am curently the oldest girl. I am 21 and the only one here not married and with no kids. So I can say that young moms are quiet common here.

However I do not look at this as an act of pedo relationship. Girls at the age of 14 are already fully developed in order to reproduce , the problem is their mental state .

FOr me a sick relationship is with a partner younger that those 14 yrs be it a boy or a girl. I am against that .

• 3 weeks later...

any relationship based on Polygamy (multiple partners for either person).

even if no one is hurt (emotionally) i always found the mere concept of having like a mistress on the side while you're married to just be awful. or multiple girlfriends/boyfriends.

My view point (which I have recently been told is a Wiccan saying) as a secular humanist/atheist is "An it harm none, do what ye will."

Noone is harmed in any way if two men, two women or any combination of consenting ADULTS, in any number, wish to form a loving relationship.

Pedophila is completely different. (Although using "marriage" in this case is slightly off, since children CAN'T get married). Pedophilia is an attraction between an adult and a child (usually prepubescent) children that young aren't able to make properly informed decissions about things like sexual relationships.

The years around puberty (14-16 or so) are kind of a grey area, which is why the AoC varries from place to place. Personally, I don't think highschoolers should be going out with people much more than 3 years older, but as I say thats just my oppinion. (Something about someone just starting highschool and someone in university seems wrong...). But, there are always the people who will take advantage of a lower AoC, regardless of how old they themselves are ("Hey, 14 is the leagal age, so it's Ok to do whatever I can get her to agree too...") Two 16-17 year olds, though? I don't know. By that age they would have had the education necesary to know what the consequences could be, though they probably wouldn't be old enough to actually handle them. If they want to take the chance, there's really nothing that can be done. (My oppinion on that would probably be different if I had a 16 year old daughter ;))

As GorunNova pointed out, the last three are just a subset of this anyway). I would have voted that, but I didn't see it until after I voted "none" (I wasn't expecting something like that in the poll or I would have paid more attention)

Nah' date=' I don't think so. Being married has proven benefits to the stability of families.[/quote']

Got a source on that?

Wow, that post went on a fair bit longer than I intended it too ~_~

My view point (which I have recently been told is a Wiccan saying) as a secular humanist/atheist is "An it harm none, do what ye will."

Noone is harmed in any way if two men, two women or any combination of consenting ADULTS, in any number, wish to form a loving relationship.

Pedophila is completely different. (Although using "marriage" in this case is slightly off, since children CAN'T get married). Pedophilia is an attraction between an adult and a child (usually prepubescent) children that young aren't able to make properly informed decissions about things like sexual relationships.

This person speaks the truth. There is no non-religious reason to prohibit consenting adults to marry. And even the religious reasons are disputed among theologians.

Pedophilia shouldn't even be discussed in the same room as homosexuality. It's two wholly different concepts.

Nah' date=' I don't think so. Being married has proven benefits to the stability of families.[/quote']

Got a source on that?

Yes, I would be interested to see that as well. I wonder how a two hour ceremony and a piece of paper could possibly influence stability in a family.

IMO, any kind of marriage between adults an children are the worst, too bad you could only vote for one...

anyways, also forced marriages can piss me off. So it's been decided at birth that your child has to be married to someone they do not love.

love is the key, and that, and only that, shall lead to marriage IMO