Americans are NOT saving

theaveng

Maybe we'd all be better off going back to subsistence farming? Nah. I like cows, but I don't feel like shoveling their ****. Working minimum wage is still better than how our ancestors/farmers lived.

I worked at JCpenney for ~10 years, and even though I only got ~$7.00 an hour, I still enjoyed the job. I wasn't rich, but I wasn't homeless either.

And yeah it sucks when you run into women who see you as a big fat wallet, instead of as a person.

I guess we need to go for the ugly girls who will take whatever man they can get.

Even us poor slobs.

;-)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the managers all drive fords (cos thats what we sell lol) but i know what your saying about staying there a few years for the experience (they're gonna pay for me to go to college part time as well so i get a formal qualification), the truth is, i still dont really know what i want to do with my life, just went into accounts becauses the oppertunity came up, means i'll always have something to fall back on though :)

And yeah it sucks when you run into women who see you as a big fat wallet, instead of as a person.

I guess we need to go for the ugly girls who will take whatever man they can get.

Even us poor slobs.

I tried that.........you build up their confidence and then they believe they can find someone better.

Theres no wonder everyone is getting dicorced these days womens expectations are so incredibly high. British men buy their women more presents than any other European male.......fact. Which takes me back to my Thai bride post.

You know some times I envy you guys who are only 19 and under.......it isnt until a women has a child or they are over 20 that they start becoming heavily interested in money. Your teens are the years of innocence make good use them.

it isnt until a women has a child or they are over 20 that they start becoming heavily interested in money. Your teens are the years of innocence make good use them.

That's because women see the bills, and they suddenly realize they need Money to survive in this world. (Although they really should have known that in their teen years.) Best way to get Money, besides earning it yourself, is to marry a wealthy man.

I'm afraid I'm going to be single the rest of my life. I am of the opinion that a $10,000 wedding is a gigantic waste of money & better spent purchasing a car and/or as downpayment on a house.

Unfortunately few women today agree with that. Most women today think they are princesses & should live like such.

Americans are saving -0.2%. i.e. They're spending more than they earn. "This is not sustainable & may lead to a recession for European markets." Source: BBC Radio.

I fear for the future.

troy

Blame it all on credit cards! People are spending money they don't have and getting hoplessly in debt. I don't have a credit card and will never get one. My mother says I should use one to establish a credit rating in case I need to buy a car or home. She's wrong right? I mean people were buying houses and cars long before credit cards existed.

Minimum credit card payments are gonna be sky rocketting. http://financialplan.about.com/od/creditcarddebt/a/CCMinimums.htm

Blame it all on credit cards! People are spending money they don't have and getting hoplessly in debt. I don't have a credit card and will never get one. My mother says I should use one to establish a credit rating in case I need to buy a car or home. She's wrong right? I mean people were buying houses and cars long before credit cards existed.

Minimum credit card payments are gonna be sky rocketting. http://financialplan.about.com/od/creditcarddebt/a/CCMinimums.htm

I have eurocard - its a cash card or how you would you call it. no credit allowed and you are charged once a month for the money you spend in the meantime. its very practical imo

is that like a debit card? where the money comes straight out of your bank' date=' like writing a cheque?? so you can only spend what you have.[/quote']

I think its similar. the only thing you have to be careful about is not to spend more than you (will) have on the day your account is balanced.

you can go overboard and spend more than you have, but on specific date (like say every 18th day in the month) they will cut these expences off and it would block your account if you go overboard (hence no credit allowed).

Americans are saving -0.2%. i.e. They're spending more than they earn. "This is not sustainable & may lead to a recession for European markets." Source: BBC Radio.

I fear for the future.

troy

I've heard that many times too. But having more than one credit card is supposed to go against your credit rating.

I'm forced to have one for work expences but would gladly live without if I had a choice. I immagine financial investments are as suitable a way to build credit and have money. Almost anyone can do it even if you only have about 50 extra bucks a month.

As for Str82u's girlfriend, well dude, depends on how much time you've already invested. Starting over is just going to get you a whole new set of problems to work through. No woman is going to be easy all the time and they will change if you are with them for a long time so the one you started with may get better or worse. Communication should get better the more time you spend with her. If its not, thats your biggest problem because you'll never resolve all the other problems. Show me a guy with a girl who is perfect and I'll show ya a single guy.

There's no way possible any blue-collar worker is going to save millions of $ by retirement. Unless they get investment advice from the almighty, the only way to save that much is to be self employed, a CEO for Microsoft, or a drug dealer.

My mother says I should use one to establish a credit rating in case I need to buy a car or home.

There are plenty of ways to establish credit. Some need a card and some don't. Just because you have a card doesn't mean you need to spend 100,000 to get noticed. And the reason people are in debt, is because they only make the MIN payment. They're stupid. If you don't have the cash to pay off the whole balance every month, you shouldn't have bought it.

She's wrong right? I mean people were buying houses and cars long before credit cards existed.

This aint 1900 anymore. You need credit, or a co-signer who has credit, or cash. And if you have that much cash to buy a house, they're going to look at you funny. Try getting a rental car with cash.

My mother says I should use one to establish a credit rating in case I need to buy a car or home. She's wrong right? I mean people were buying houses and cars long before credit cards existed.
No bank is going to loan you money if you don't have a credit score, so sadly, your mom is right. (Although many car dealers will give loans to no-credit customers, just so they can make a sale.)

Now the question is what KIND of rating do you want? Many college students get credit cards to establish a rating & then they go nuts with spending/non-payments & give themselves a 200 aka "F" on their credit report. BAD. No rating is better than a bad one.

So it depends on what kind of person you are? A spender or a saver? If you're a spender, don't get a card.

If you're a saver, I would advise getting a card but not using it for anything, except buying gas. That means you'd have a monthly bill of ~$40 which you can easily pay off & avoid giving yourself a bad rating. AAA has a great gas card that gives you 3% off all your purchases and lets you save money while building a good score on your credit report.

a monthly bill of $40 for gas?!?!? how cheap is it overthere? i spend approx $130 on gas a month!!! im deffo moving to the states.

but yes, i was gonna get a card and just buy fuel with it (that wayi know i'll be able to pay it off) so i could establish a credit rating, but no one will give me a card :( dont know why, ive had a small (£300) loan before to buy my laptop, but i paid that off in time (before the interest kicked in) som i should have a good credit rating shouldnt i?

They won't give you a card because you have no credit rating, and probably no income, or income above a certain level. Have your parent apply for a card. Your name will be on the 2nd one. There are some debt cards that can help your credit rating I think.

Or you can always goto a college campus. They're always throwing out cards to irresponsible students.

You don't even have to get a card to get a bad credit rating (atleast not here). If you fail to pay your bills or debts in time there's always a chance that your bills are forwarded to be collected by pros and if they fail to collect they make a claim to the State Claims Department (can't translate the name any better) and if they fail they'll make an offical note (5 years) of this available to anyone (only that you're noted, when and how many times, not the amount of debt though). And suddenly when you're about to get a rental apartment, by a car on downpayment, get Internet or a cellphone and god forbid get a bankloan, you'll told that sorry they can't help you, see ya in 5 years or so.

I don't know how good my credit rating is, but I have never been told sorry by anyone. But then I currently have no outstanding loans or debts and I never have owned a credit card, only a bank card that is directly linked to my bankaccount (if the account is empty the card is useless). I prefer cash whenever possible and old fashioned cashiers-checks when the sums are higher.

If you are interested, you could help build a credit rating by applying for mail order ie. catalogues. If they accept you, which some certainly will, this will help increase you credit rating over time. Or you could get a guarantor to co-sign agreements. When I was 17 my dad co-signed a bank loan so that I could buy a car.(And I worked for the bank in question. Cheek!)

With regards to cards, most of the time you need to prove that you are not risky, by having an account in credit with a minimum balance, and in use for a certain amount (about 6 months I think) of time before they will even consider cheque cards let alone credit.

Another reason for being turned down for credit is if bad debt is registered at your address, could even be from previous occupants. You can check this with credit scoring agencies, of which there are quite a few and they will usually charge a nominal fee of about £2.50ish for your complete credit records registered with that particular company.

Funnily enough whilst writing this I have just had a popup from WhenUSaveNow offering various loan company offers!!! All of which I will politely ignore.

Hope this is of some help.

Also I should re-iterate what has already been said BEWARE CREDIT. Don`t bite off more than you can chew as you`ll only choke in the end.

(I should know, cough cough!) B)

a monthly bill of $40 for gas?!?!? how cheap is it overthere? i spend approx $130 on gas a month!!! im deffo moving to the states.

but yes, i was gonna get a card and just buy fuel with it (that wayi know i'll be able to pay it off) so i could establish a credit rating, but no one will give me a card :( dont know why, ive had a small (£300) loan before to buy my laptop, but i paid that off in time (before the interest kicked in) som i should have a good credit rating shouldnt i?

no cuz if you pay it off too fast its bad if you take too long also bad if you pay a little over the min good way over bbbad do you understand

I disagree with the last posting. I pay off my credit cards 100% every month & my credit rating is over 1000. i.e. They love me. They don't care that I pay off my loans immediately.

And I think it's strange that credit card companies are refusing you as a customer. Most American colleges have Mastercard & Visa stands, and they just love to sign up college students. Maybe you could get a store card like Sears? They usually don't care if you're a newbie... they just want you to buy stuff.

a monthly bill of $40 for gas?!?!? how cheap is it overthere?

We pay 50 cents per gallon in taxes. You pay $4.00 in taxes. That's the difference. Otherwise, we both pay the same amount (about $1.50) for the actual gasoline.

Also $40 is only one tank or 300 miles... about how far a college student would drive in one month.

The sooner you pay off your card each month, and in full, the better off you are. Card companies are just waiting for you to screw up on 1 payment so they can charge a late fee or interest. That's how they MAKE their money; aside from the money they get from each business account who signs up to do transactions with them. Each swipe sends a little cash to the CC co. That's a main reason most big universities don't accept credit card payments for tuition. It costs money and overhead to do those transactions.

And there's a few differences between college cards and adult cards. One being the amount of credit and interest rate you are given. Second is usually you have to spend more to get more reward points. Probably their marketing idea of trying to force students to buy more so they get a plane ticket. It's a rip off.