What was with all the rubbing gel over each other in ENT!?

Nightmare

Quite frankly I fail to see why so many people here seem to think it's clever to shoot down BSG which has frankly been one of the best new sci-fi shows of the decade. It slams every single Star Trek series in terms of characters, plot, science... I struggle to think of any field it loses to ST. If you can sit and watch the new BSG start to finish and say it's not intelligent... well, then we can have you inside an MRI scanner within an hour to find out what's going wrong.

I have to agree. On the subject of science in BSG, they use much more readily identifiable technologies, such as guns with bullets. In BSG they also have avoided getting into the particulars of faster than light travel, which benifits the frankly great story lines, unlike in Trek, where there is a need to make up so much laughable physics and science in the form of treknobabble.

Star Trek, real science? That's got to be a joke.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BSG? Is that a joke? BS Galactica violates science all over the place. I agree it's entertaining, but "intelligent" it is not. It's like Hercules (or Xena) in space. Pure fantasy/made-up nonsense.

Being both fans of Hercules/Xena & BSG, they are fan from being the same. While BSG does equate their religions based off of the ancient greek style calendar Scorpio, Capricus, Leo, Sagitarius, etc they are far from being Hercules/Xena. While Hercules/Xena was heavily based on greek "mythology" if you watched both over the seasons they highly evolved as they explored Indian religions, Norse religions, even Islamic religions.

But the main factor of both was the "cheese" factor, Hercules being able to toss boulders with ease, Xena and her boomerang-like chakram while doing ten backflips etc You don't find neither on BSG, no one runs around with screaming warcries while sword fighting on horseback trying to stop Zeus from destroying Ares (literally).

In all meaning thus far, we have yet to even see any actual "god" in BSG, whereas we saw many "gods" in tangible form in Hercules/Xena. For all we know in BSG, their "gods" could just be a belief system that humans have believed in for centuries to give them hope but yet, does not exist. If I was a betting man, I'd say it was this cause in alot of ways BSG mirrors some of the things we as humans in real life live our societies, religion being a very similar one.

All that gel business just made me laugh - I thought it was silly more than anything else, and more than a bit obvious as a ploy.

I just wonder whether it really did work?

Was the reason they repeated all that gel business because it really did work week after week?

Honestly I can't imagine that it would, I mean it's hardly titilating by contemporary standards, as opposed to say all those Baywatch breast swinging in slo-mo running action...

I can see baywatch-vision being explained.

"Captain - we appear to have entered a gravitational distortion that slows time and seems to accentuate female jiggling!"

Hercules and Xena were both aware of their cheesiness and were tongue in cheek - I don't think you can say that about BSG. There is a certain solemness to it - probably because it starts off with what amounts to the near total destruction of the human race.

Even after T'Pol decided to join Star Fleet' date=' she still didn't have the same uniform as everyone else. Like the gel rubbing, it's purely a Seven-of-Nine style ratings ploy.[/quote']

I think those kind of things are a part of Star Trek by now. It has been around since TNG with Troi and her non-starfleet uniform that displayed a touch of cleavage.

BSG? Is that a joke? BS Galactica violates science all over the place. I agree it's entertaining, but "intelligent" it is not. It's like Hercules (or Xena) in space. Pure fantasy/made-up nonsense.

Being both fans of Hercules/Xena & BSG, they are fan from being the same. While BSG does equate their religions based off of the ancient greek style calendar Scorpio, Capricus, Leo, Sagitarius, etc they are far from being Hercules/Xena. While Hercules/Xena was heavily based on greek "mythology".

While I'm using these qoutes, I'm not just picking on one group in particular, a blanket insult is more my style.

C'mon, am I to believe that a thread about T'Pol putting on Decon Gel turned into a comparison of theologies on fantasy shows?

Let's not get personal now, don't compare the prime directive to bologna or I'll become enraged. All these shows use theories or popular belief to power the ships and weapons, it is nice to watch a intelligent show, but the story is what intrests me, not trying to figure out if the warp field was unstable so it was impossible for the ship to escape and should have been destroyed.

And as far as Troi being done tastefully, how long did it take before she was in a Starfleet uniform fulltime?....

Sex is a dead horse on the sci-fi front, they are using it everywhere, and I don't know about the rest of you, but after watching a spicy episode I can pick up the phone or go somewhere to find women who, while not alien, are at least as attractive and might even go for wearing outfits like that.

And by the way, Uhura was hot in that skirt...but just how functional was that on a starship?

I think those kind of things are a part of Star Trek by now. It has been around since TNG with Troi and her non-starfleet uniform that displayed a touch of cleavage.

I think there's quite a difference. It suited her character (Troi), it was so to speak a part of her. The few moments when she wore something really hot it was always related to the story in a belivable way and therefore kind of natural.

In ENT it's just reduced to the "Wow, I can see the print of her nipple" aspect and has nothing to do with the actual stories besides the childish idea of "desinfection". They even stretched this concept out to a full episode, the horrible "Bound".

I think there's quite a difference. It suited her character (Troi), it was so to speak a part of her. The few moments when she wore something really hot it was always related to the story in a belivable way and therefore kind of natural.

In ENT it's just reduced to the "Wow, I can see the print of her nipple" aspect and has nothing to do with the actual stories besides the childish idea of "desinfection". They even stretched this concept out to a full episode, the horrible "Bound".

Her wearing a non-starfleet uniform wasn't really more "acceptable" than any of the other examples in the later series, imo. Betazoids are considered more open and sensual, yes, but Troi's character was fairly atypical for a betazoid, if you ask me.

Star Trek may be a lot about morality, ethics and such subjects, but there is also a definite touch of campiness involved. The sexy, female character who appears in every show is a part of this campiness. To me, Star Trek is light entertainment, so I have no problem with this particular phenomena.

This might be true, but my point is: It's much, much worse in ENT than it was in TNG. I don't mind a little female eyecandy at all - but those "Gel-scenes" this thread is about are nothing more but visualised wet dreams and wanna-be crowd pullers.

yes a agree it probably was a ploy to bring in the ratings. But i think about Star trek alot different than most people. When i first seen this i had a typical male reaction hmm.. big breast female mostly nude being rubbed down with gel in a dim room. I have watched star trek seance TNG started. And i try not to over think shows i watch cause it ruins it for me. You people might be different but i cant watch behind the scenes and stuff like that. Cause when i do see the show again i will be thinking of how it is made, criticizing the writers, looking for defects in props and so on. I really enjoy Star trek and this will ruin it for me. So i didn't over think the half nude chicks in star trek.

Besides there's nothing wrong with being smart that says you cant enjoy the hotties.

If your female reading this to be fair the opposite can be true as well.

I'd have thought that goes without saying.

I can attest that attaining my degree did not lessen my appreciation of the female form.

However - I think most people are put off by the tasteless, gratuituous and shameless use of scantily clad women for no other reason than to attract a certain demographic. It wasn't serving the plot - only the producers thirst for ratings.

now wait a minute....why didn't the orion slave girls get to use the famous bio-gel????

(snicker-snicker)

:p

Cause Berman and Braga were saving that. They figured they'd need a new cash cow after Enterprise died in season four, so a few years later they'll release a straight to video movie: Alien Girls Gone Wild. Featuring Orion Slave Girls, Dabo Girls, the Girls of Risa and more. Ours for only 19 bars and 19 slips of gold pressed latinum.