DivX DVD Players

NiteShdw

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Philips DVD737. It's a great player. I have no problems with Xvid's at all. Also Xvids and Divx with AC3 sounds works perfectly. Sometimes I had some problems that the audio was out of sync. But I corrected that with VirtualDubMod.

Hi to all British members.

Lidl (the German supermarket chain operating in UK) recently launched Targa players which handle DVD, SVCD, VCD, DIVX, XVID, Windows media, JPEG and MP3, pretty well everything I've produced from my computer anyway. I've not experienced any problems with it thus far and I've deliberately tried every format I can. It even has built-in camera card readers so you can have slide shows on your TV.

All this for £45.00. Sockets for everything including optical. Usual assortment of leads, SCART, audio etc. Supports Dolby, 3D surround sound etc.

Couldn't resist, bought one, impressed, 'nuff said...

Best of British even if it is German, eh?

Best wishes to you all,

Doug :D

I have the Philips DVD737. It's a great player. I have no problems with Xvid's at all. Also Xvids and Divx with AC3 sounds works perfectly. Sometimes I had some problems that the audio was out of sync. But I corrected that with VirtualDubMod.

Burn your disks in *DATA* format.........You can get more stuff on them that way.

:D

• 1 month later...

I recently brought a phillips 642 as well. I'm fairly pleased although I have a couple issues that I would like to work out.

1-Longer file names on the menu screen: is this possible?

2-The clicking noise the machine constantly makes: I'm guessing this issue can't be resolved but thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks for any help.

I just picked up a Philips 642/37 too. For $70 is is a bargain. Picture quality seems as good if not better than from my PC, and that is with composite cables. I can"t wait to see it through S-Video.

I do have a couple of questions. How do you determine what version of firmware is installed, and what is the URL with the latest firmeware upgrade?

Buy an old computer from ebay (~500-700Mhz) stick in a graphics card with TV-Out, load on GeexBox or simmilar. Maybe add a wireless mouse/IR remote.

Cost: ~£70

100% Compatible with all media....

100% Upgradeable to support new formats....

http://geexbox.org/

• 1 month later...
What kinda DVD player do to watch torrents that i burned on my CD-R? My mum doesn't want to get us a dvd writer.

Do ones who play CD-R work or do i need one that also play DivX

You need one that can play divx/xvid and also ac3/mp3/wma. If it supports all these, you should be in the clear. You can go for a cheaper version that only does divx and mp3, but you won't be able to play everything.

If you want to keep the solution as cheap as possible and don't mind putting a lot of work and cd's into it, you can also buy an ordinay one, but you will have to personally recode everything into vcd format.

Since the surplus price of a cheap divx player isn't that much, I don't think it would be worth the trouble. I'd still try to recommed her the dvd-burner though, nothing quite as handy as that thing! ;)

What kinda DVD player do to watch torrents that i burned on my CD-R? My mum doesn't want to get us a dvd writer.

Do ones who play CD-R work or do i need one that also play DivX

You need one that can play divx/xvid and also ac3/mp3/wma. If it supports all these, you should be in the clear. You can go for a cheaper version that only does divx and mp3, but you won't be able to play everything.

If you want to keep the solution as cheap as possible and don't mind putting a lot of work and cd's into it, you can also buy an ordinay one, but you will have to personally recode everything into vcd format.

Since the surplus price of a cheap divx player isn't that much, I don't think it would be worth the trouble. I'd still try to recommed her the dvd-burner though, nothing quite as handy as that thing! ;)

You mean one like this?

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page=title&r=ELEC&title=556443

Picked up a Phillips DVP642 at Walmart last night - on sale for $57.86!!! It's played everything I threw at it so far, including a region 3 disk (after I hacked it) and the only things I've had probs with are the one copy of MixxMasters's ROSE DVD (remote won't navigate the menus and sound is weird, until I change the setting - not a big issue for me cause I have all he eps & confidentials in xvid) and one of my discs with a few of the older Dr. Who files didn't seem to want to play. Otherwise I'm happy as a pig in ! What a perfect way this will be to watch the final ep of the season tonight!

This thread has helped me. I'm looking into buying a divx dvd player' date=' which one is the best?[/quote']

Best? From what I read there is a Yamaha that is absolutely fantastic. It supports DivX, XviD, WMA, AC3, MP3... in other words just about any AVI file out there. Unfortuantely, I think it's only available in Europe.

XBMC - it does upscaling of resolutions all the way to 1080. Lovely. Not to mention, Divx, xvid, wmv, mp3, wma, some mov - all goodness. Streaming from network attached storage and SMB loveliness.

Consumer DVD players have no place in my home anymore.

If you guys really want to have the best-priced and best-performant DVD/DivX player out there, you need to buy a Sigmatek XM-400 Pro. They have excellent support, regular firmwareupdates, zonefree,.... I have one at home and it really is superb. Way better than that Philips-player and better support! It might be a little more expensive, but not that much. I don't know for sure if it's available in the US, but in Europe, it's no problem to order one.

Some features:

-DivX

-XViD

-3IVX

-DivX fusion

-AVI

-AVI bivx (2 audio streams)

-MP3

-WMA

-AC3

-OGM

-SVCD

-VCD

-DVD

-SACD

-HDCD

-SRT, SUB, SUB/IDX, SMI, SSA subtitle support

-DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW/+R DL/-R DL

-CD R/RW

-regionfree

-hardware DTS decoder

-hardware Dolby Digital decoder

Video D/A converter 108 MHz/12-bits

Audio D/A converter 192 KHz/24-bits

+ A lot of other features, this baby is unbeatable in its price-class!

The only thing that I know of that is not supported, is MKV (matroska) files.

The image- and audio-quality is excellent because of the superb D/A converters.

Here is the usergroup support page with more info about it!

Pricing can be as low as € 85 if you search a little! As I said, a bit more expensive than the Philips, but way better and way better support!

They have other very interesting products as well: Sigmatek. Don't be alarmed that this site is in French, the seperate produkt pages are also available in English!