Sony Announces Prices for Blu-Ray DVD's

vystral

look at stuff like 'Top Gun' on DVD' date=' that's been so cleaned up it doesn't even look like it was filmed in the 80's anymore, removing any atmosphere. [/quote']

They made Top Gun look like as clean as it did in 1986. "Blurred picture" is not atmosphere. It's degradation/age & and it should be cleaned up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem with being able to put THAT much on a storage medium is that the cost, she skyrocket. Don't you recall people fitting when they saw the cost of the "ultimate" star trek collection.

It's a lot easier to stomach $20 a month for however many months but when you're getting hit for something like 3k...

Inevitably though, it's the development of newer, better systems that pushes down the price of older, more common ones.

10-15 years you reckon $50-100 for a plasma screen tv? One of those nich 39" ones? Retail? Prices come down but honestly I've a hard time imagining them giving away plasma screens, even if something ten times better has come out.

Not the 39" ones, I suspect those will be in the $300-500 dollar range by then, depending on make and features. Just look at how LCD and CRT screens have dropped in price over the last few years. Now there are lots of LCD monitors out there for a couple of hundred bucks.

I think the problem with being able to put THAT much on a storage medium is that the cost, she skyrocket. Don't you recall people fitting when they saw the cost of the "ultimate" star trek collection.

It's a lot easier to stomach $20 a month for however many months but when you're getting hit for something like 3k...

Well, there is a LOT of TREK, and selling for $100/season. A lot of the other TV shows are now being sold in box sets for $25-50 per season. Putting one season on a signle disc for the same price as a box set shouldn't be a problem. Getting an entire series at 4-5x that will be a bit harder. TOday some shows can be bought as a boxed set, or as separate discs (at a slightly higher price).

Higher storae capacity and next generation computers also opens up the door for uncompressed video, unlike DVD.

Hell' date=' the special effects on modern films, like Lord of the Rings or more so the Star Wars prequels look more realistic on videotape than DVD...[/quote']

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, bro. (sounds like someone needs better audio/video equipment) :cyclops:

I have to agree as well. I've been able to see some HD content and a well made movie (Lord Of The Rings specifically) looked freaken amazing! (Note this was on a properly callibrated screen that I had seen the DVD's on before)

And battlestar Galactica looked very good in HD, made me really happy, and suprised at how it could sound and look. (Love that 5.1 mix!)

That said, as it stands, DVD quality is still great to me, so I'm happy.

But, why do we need to spend outrageous ammounts of cash just to get this "AMAZING" content?

To me, it boggles the mind. Who really wants to spend $3000 when a $200 piece of equipment gives virtually the SAME quality???

The ONLY thing I see good from this is that the screens use less energy to run than tube screens. But $3000 worth? No thanks.

Agree with the last poster. Great quality is nice, but not when I have to work a year to pay it off. Settle for the smaller/cheaper 25 incher.

It's just a tv show. Even on a 25 inch screen it's still fun to watch. No need for a 50 incher & then declared bankruptcy when I can't pay the bill.

I don't know, I've been watching tv and dvds on my 29 inch and I've had that for the past 7 years. It's time for something new (tv is dying) and I'm wondering if I should wait till LCD TV prices drop a little more (the SHARP AQUOS) or wait till it gets a little bigger at 55" or so on. I don't particularly like Plasma.

I was also toying with the idea of getting a home theater system set up at home, projector, big screen, receiver, klipsc thx ultra 2 system, etc but the quality of the big screen might not compare with the LCD TV.

I'd try to hold out till LCD prices drop. Otherwise you're paying out the nose for something that will drop soon anyways.

Yep, better to wait it out for the model I want instead of trying to keep up with the latest LCDS around. I wonder how long it would take for the LCD tvs to drop to decent prices. It's still considered quite high.

But, why do we need to spend outrageous ammounts of cash just to get this "AMAZING" content?

To me, it boggles the mind. Who really wants to spend $3000 when a $200 piece of equipment gives virtually the SAME quality???

The ONLY thing I see good from this is that the screens use less energy to run than tube screens. But $3000 worth? No thanks.

I couldn't see anyone spending $3000 if the $200 piece of equipment actually does give virtually the same quality. But it probably doesn't. I know several peole with CRT TVs who swear that they see no difference in picture quality between DVD and VHS. After watching some stuff on thier TV's I didn't see that much difference either. But I noticed a big difference between DVD and VHS on my LCD TV monitor (a $600 one, I can't afford one of those $10000 "Enterprise main viewscreen" jobs, and mine doubles as my computer monitor, too). Older TVs only have a resolution of 325 scan lines, newer ones 525, and after a certain point, it doesn't matter how good the source video is. The TV is the limiting factor.

Also, Blue-Ray players (not writers) are going to come out at around $500-600, and will pretty rapidly drop to below $400. THis is exacly how VCRs and DVDs started out. Now you can get a cheap VCR or DVD player for $30. CD-RWs were astronimically priced back in 1987, now they are under $50.

And at nearly a thousand' date=' those aren't much better. I do just fine watching tv on my laptop screen myself.[/quote']

I don't know if I agree with that. I have dual LCD's. One is a Samsung and the other is a Dell. Neither are exactly spectacular compared to a good old fashioned CRT. Dot Pitch is a big problem with almost all LCD's (except for the apple ones, not that i'm an apple fanboy or anything)

Here's what I am saying:

Compared to spending $100-$500 on a regular tv, $200-600 on LCD, or $2000-3000 for Plasma, I do just fine and dandy using nothing more than my widescreen laptop. For others, they might want to spend that kind of extra money. I, personally, would rather use the money for something else.

Seems kinda stupid to go get a 25 gig disc the size of a DVD or CD' date=' when I will be able to get a 200-300GB disc later this year, and a 1.2TB disc in a couple of years.[/quote']

Because the cost of manufacturing HVD discs is astronomical. It's the same problem that plagues FVD.

Besides, everyone in the industry tends to side with Sony (HD was their idea). Whatever Sony says is best will sell. It's the way of the world.

Wasn't Sony the Betamax flag waver?