Sony Announces Prices for Blu-Ray DVD's

vystral

I think I read somewhere that .... blue-ray would only be able to play dvd's and blue-ray disks.

Nonsense. The Blu-Ray PS3 is advertised to play all PS1 games (cds).

HD-DVD maxes out at 45 gig. Blu-Ray DVD goes as high as 100 gig. Twice as much room.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah' date=' they are bigger because HD uses more capacity, so the reason for the switch is for the 'supposed' increase in quality, not just because they are bigger.[/quote']

The real reason is DVD can't fold the 1080i HDTV-- Only about 20 minutes. So DVD is obsolete.

HD-DVD (or Blu-ray) is required for the new HDTV video.

I think I read somewhere that .... blue-ray would only be able to play dvd's and blue-ray disks.

Nonsense. The Blu-Ray PS3 is advertised to play all PS1 games (cds).

Correct, my info on that was appearently outdated, hd-dvd was the first to announce they supported cd's and dvd's. A few months later blue-ray did the same. Apologies... :)

HD-DVD maxes out at 45 gig. Blu-Ray DVD goes as high as 100 gig. Twice as much room.

Well, that is indeed so in the lab, in real life, hd-dvd's of 30 gig have been presented as working, in contrast, blue ray has not released a single working disk above 25 gig outside the lab.

What's more:

On the other hand, we have to add that the high storage capacities that BD offers are not really a must for recording high definition content. This is because of new compression technologies, such as MPEG-4 AVC, which makes it possible to produce high quality content at lower bit rates without a visible loss of quality. With this advanced codec technology, it is possible to store 8 hours of high definition video on a 30GB HD-DVD. For the moment, this is enough to store the movie and all the extras.

Anyway, I would prefer hd-dvd, but I'm not going to 'in' the war, I'll just wait untill there is a 'winner' and buy their technology, in the end the difference will not be 'that' significent. I'm certain many will do the same (wait for a winner)... :)

Well, I have seen these HDTVs, and they can keep them in my book. Other than the fact that it is widescreen, it still looks like a TV to me.

And given my finances, I can come up with far better things to buy than a $1000 tv

I agree. My (rich) uncle has a big HDTV. In all honesty, I wasn't impressed. Pretty sure I'd rather put that $10,000 towards a shiny new car.

For me, the issue is that both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are DRM-laden. Yes, they have a pretty decent increase in quality and capacity, but since we're going to have to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for the next gen stuff, we consumers need to make sure that the tech is friendly to us!

For this reason, I see the new Holographic Versatile Disc, as being potentially awesome. I mean, 1.2 TB, and the same form factor... and ::crosses fingers:: .... no DRM!!! I mean yea, HVD might cost $120/disc right now... that price will go down... ALOT. Besides, that means that it only costs $0.10/GB(1.2TB)-, whereas BD is going to cost $0.80-$1.00/GB(25GB for ~$24.00).

Well, if the MPAA and RIAA get a hold of HVD, we ALL know they will DRM the hell out of them.

But, from what I understand, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are going to do everything they can to ensure that these discs will NOT be avalible for use on a computer. Why? Because as long as computer users cannot even play these discs on their computer, the less likely someone will crack into the DRM software and make it avalible to others to distribute or copy their content.

But, I have the feeling that things will come to a head soon. It's just a matter of time before someone gets a better idea for distribution, and eliminates the trained baboons at the RIAA and MPAA.

You know, I was thinking, all these implementations they are trying to invent to disrupt 'piracy' of content, will not affect 'our' community at all....

The most 'dreaded' faeture was going to be HDCP, if not the entire communication way of the content was secured with this technology, no HD content can be played. Instead, there wil be content that is only 1/4 of the maximum resolution (standard).

However the maximum resolution is either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 for HD content, 1/4 of this will be 960x540 or 640x360, this is still beig enough to make some really, really high quality divx rips. Current HDTV rips in the 350 MB format (which is very decent quality imo), is NEVER in higher resolution than this, so in the end, we really have not much to fear from this 'hardware security implementation'. There still is the HD variant of CSS, but I have no doubt at all that this will get broken real fast once it is released. There is a whole scene just sitting there to wait for it to be released, just so they can start breaking it. It is nearly a matter of honour/prestige for them to be the first to break it. So no worries, whatever the studios come up with, it is ultimately useless... :D

I totally agree. Why sit there and spend tons of cash for something that will be obsolete within a couple of years anyways? I'd rather spend the money on more computer parts' date=' as well as working on my project.[/quote']

my thoughts exactly

MPEG-4 AVC' date=' it is possible to store 8 hours of high definition video on a 30GB HD-DVD. [/quote']

About 2.2 hours of HDTV on a regular DVD? Uh. Don't believe it. I already see annoying compression artifacts on my Star Trek DVDs with normal rez.

Anyway, I would prefer hd-dvd, but I'm not going to 'in' the war, I'll just wait untill there is a 'winner' and buy their technology

Yeah better to wait to see who wins before buying new tech-- got a laserdisc that is worthless & Digital Autio Tape (DAT) also worthless. Better to wait and see. Heck I still use SVHS for recording! No fancy digital recorders for me-- they might be obsolete soon!

25-30 inch HDTVs can be had for only $300-400. Not much more than a normal TV.

What annoys me are all the fools you meet who want stuff in maximum possible quality because of prestige and no real clue as to how to appreciate anything. Foe example, when they release all the original Star Wars on super cleaned up super high def to be watched on massive TV's, guess what? It will look like it was filmed with toys, more so than each successive time its been cleaned up. Then look at stuff like 'Top Gun' on DVD, that's been so cleaned up it doesn't even look like it was filmed in the 80's anymore, removing any atmosphere.

Hell, the special effects on modern films, like Lord of the Rings or more so the Star Wars prequels look more realistic on videotape than DVD, this is because if you film on digital format, release it digitally and watch it on digital equipment, your CGI compositing has nothing to shmmer or vaseline it into live action and therefore looks totally fake.

It's important to avoid ever getting caught up in a simple linear attitude to technology without ever realising what it actually does, this is almost as important as not getting suckered into stuff that could be soon beaten by another format.

Hell' date=' the special effects on modern films, like Lord of the Rings or more so the Star Wars prequels look more realistic on videotape than DVD...[/quote']

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, bro. (sounds like someone needs better audio/video equipment) :cyclops:

Well, I have seen these HDTVs, and they can keep them in my book. Other than the fact that it is widescreen, it still looks like a TV to me.

And given my finances, I can come up with far better things to buy than a $1000 tv

I agree. My (rich) uncle has a big HDTV. In all honesty, I wasn't impressed. Pretty sure I'd rather put that $10,000 towards a shiny new car.

Well, for starters an HDTV isn't necessarily showing and HD programs yet. Most stations, broadcast and cable, and still tramitting at the old TV standard, so there isn't going to be any difference in picture quality, yet.

As for the price, all that will drop over time. As someone else pointed out, the same astronimcal prices appeared when CR-RW drives came out. This is typical with new tech. It is very expensive when first released, then drops in price over time. This has been true from everything from video game systems (the Atari 2600 orginally sold for $400), the VCR ($1,000), PCs, laptops (remember when a color laptop cost $4000?), CD write drives, DVD drives, DVD players (I knew people who bought playstations to get a low cost DVD player), DVD recorders, LCD TVs, LCD monitors, and blank media. Just last year blank DVD-DL media went for around $10 each, now down to $2-5). The same will happen with LCD TVs (has already started), Plasma TVs, HD-DVD and Blue-Ray. In 10-15 years they will be selling for $50-100.

In the long run the higher storage capacity is going to be the thing that will make the new formats the new standards. With PC RAM and Hard Drives growing, the larger storage capaicity will be needed. Just look at what CD and DVD drives have done to floppy discs.

It's just a matter of waiting until all the technologies get worked out, implemented, and the prices start to drop.

Inevitably though, it's the development of newer, better systems that pushes down the price of older, more common ones.

10-15 years you reckon $50-100 for a plasma screen tv? One of those nich 39" ones? Retail? Prices come down but honestly I've a hard time imagining them giving away plasma screens, even if something ten times better has come out.

Well, for starters an HDTV isn't necessarily showing and HD programs yet. Most stations, broadcast and cable, and still tramitting at the old TV standard, so there isn't going to be any difference in picture quality, yet.

Actually, I watched some "supossed" HD TV shows on it. I still could tell not one bit of difference.

The deal with tech and prices is more on the maturity of the tech, not what is new out there. DVD players have dropped in price. Why? I don't see anything avalible on the market just yet to replace DVD.

Nope. Just now the manufacturers have goten the hang of making them, and can make them cheaper. Also, most people have one nowadays, so who'd spend $200 on a new one for no reason?

Also, notice computers. At one time, you couldn't get even a used computer for less than a grand. If you did, it was usually so old and out of date it was junk. Now, you can buy a cheap new one from Dell for $350. The computer market has hit that crossroad where most have them, and don't wanna pay a huge cost on another one.

Personally, with the fact that there really isn't a whole lot of improvement on image, and better media ready to hit the market, I'm saving my money for something other than the blu ray/HD-DVD fiasco.