Man Goes Bankrupt Building Starship Voyager Home.

synexo

Man Goes Bankrupt Building Starship Voyager Home.

Tony Alleyne, the man who turned his apartment into the Star Trek Starship Voyager has gone bankrupt. He started transforming his apartment after his wife left him when he replaced the refrigerator with a 'warp coil'. The apartment is located in Hinckley, Leics, has moulded walls, touch-panel blue lighting, and a command console. He even built a life-size model of the show's transporter room with reshaped windows to look like portholes and set up vertical lights to give the illusion of being beamed up. Tony at one time had the apartment for auction on eBay for $2 million but had no luck in selling. Tony maxed out 14 credit cards accumulating £100,000 in debt. His goal was to lure other Trekkies to pay him to convert their humble abodes.

Here's what Tony has to say on his grand plan:

But I was wrong and just overstretched. Building it in my apartment was the enjoyable and easy bit. But then I got hooked up with marketing and merchandise people here and in America and it all got out of hand.

I'm still proud of what I created but it's been a financial disaster.

At least with all that credit card use, he probably earned a trip to space with all the accumulated airmiles.

starship02-712913.jpg

starshipkitchen-728994.jpg

starship03-701393.jpg

http://www.uberreview.com/2006/02/man-goes-bankrupt-building-starship.htm

Are you kidding? It needs at LEAST 75,000 miles for a free roundtrip to Asia!! Rip off offers!!

And I'm one of those marketing people!

I was waiting for this guy to lose everything. He was on one of those inside whatever TV shows a few yrs ago. Old news to me.

If you want to see some good footage of his apartment, watch the documentary Trekkies 2. It is a nice apartment. And he wasn't kidding, he did ask $2,000,000 for it on eBay. The bathroom (which are rarities themselves on all the shows) is really tiny, even he looks cramped when he's sitting in it (yes with clothes on).

I found it funny he kinda painted himself into a corner. I mean the costs aside, from the documentary they said that's his only apartment. He has no bed, no closet for clothes and no fridge. His bathroom barely functions, so he basically sleeps on the hard floors and just kinda stares at it all day.

And it is a tiny apartment, it's all basically one big room minus the bathroom and the one little area where he has the shutter window-thing. I guess space is a luxury in his area of the UK.

I'd love to visit it, but a trip across the pond is a tad far for just a fan built exhibit :(

Looking at the map - he's in some nowhere town in the midlands - I doubt that space is exactly at a premium. He's between Birmingham and Leicester and there really isn't a lot around but the man is clearly a mentalist.

In the same category as the man that celebrates Christmas everyday...

You just don't see women do this kind of stuff, do you?

WOW! Very interseting. Went to his website and checked it out. Very nice stuff. Really nice website design as well.

At the bottom right hand side it says "As seen in the film Trekkies 2". Anyone familar with Trekkies 2?

c4 B)

well he was selling it for to much... he should have just done one room and show it to ppl so they can get a taste of what he can do.... he could probly get a job working at the Hilton in Las Vegas.

I think his whole point is he wants to do this for a living. At least that's what I got from viewing his website.

c4 B)

Personally, I feel sympathy for the guy. His wife left him, he has significant financial problems, I can't imagine him being the the most comfortable man in social situations, his dream of turning his hobby into a profession has shown no potential, and I would imagine that he has more than enough people telling him that he is a lunatic. To me he a tragic figure. Sad. Probably very lonely.

I admire his passion. He's like a character out of a Werner Herzog movie or an Errol Morris documentary. I don't know the guy, obviously, but I would love to see him move to London or the States or some other big city and follow his eccentricities. He may not "make it" as a Star Trek interior decorator, but he may enjoy a field such as stagecraft.

I just saw a guy on television a few nights ago about a guy name Joshua Davis who wrote a book called "The Underdog." Davis is a former data entry worker who hated his job and just decided to quit one day. His wife was not pleased. He then decided that he would follow his heart and look for something more exciting in his life. Long story short, his wife somehow stuck with him as the toothpick-thin Davis entered arm wrestling, sumo wrestling and other outrages contests. He gained some attention and eventually was hired by Wired magazine, has a well-selling book, and the guy who played Napoleon Dynamite is going to play him in a movie.

Now I'm not saying that Tony Alleyne, the Trek apartment guy, is going to have the same success. But he seems articulate enough to write a book. He's also be a perfect subject matter for a feature documentary similar to "American Movie." I just wish him well because Mr. Alleyne seems to have all the things going wrong for him right now and I just hope he doesn't do something tragic.

WOW! Very interseting. Went to his website and checked it out. Very nice stuff. Really nice website design as well.

At the bottom right hand side it says "As seen in the film Trekkies 2". Anyone familar with Trekkies 2?

c4 B)

Yep. It's quite a good movie/documentary, much better than Trekkies 1. 2 involves going back to visit some of the more prominent fans from Trekkies 1. Like for example you remember Gabriel Koerner from the first one? The real ackward kid who was like 15? Yea he's like my age now, and he is the guy who designed the CGI Mark II Vipers for the new BSG. They also go beyond the United States in #2, they go like everywhere from the UK to Australia etc

Both are hosted by Denis Crosby, I think she was the only one the creators of the documentary could either afford or get to actually host it.

c4 B)

Yep. It's quite a good movie/documentary, much better than Trekkies 1. 2 involves going back to visit some of the more prominent fans from Trekkies 1. Like for example you remember Gabriel Koerner from the first one? The real ackward kid who was like 15? Yea he's like my age now, and he is the guy who designed the CGI Mark II Vipers for the new BSG. They also go beyond the United States in #2, they go like everywhere from the UK to Australia etc

Both are hosted by Denis Crosby, I think she was the only one the creators of the documentary could either afford or get to actually host it.

Gawd...I'll prolly get blasted for this but...I've never seen Trekkies 1 either. :stare:

c4 B)

I can't believe the extremes people go just to be closer to Star Trek. The way I see it if you want to bring yourself closer to the Trek universe make a computer game or play one of the existing ones like Bridge Commander. You can get mods to make the game more enjoyable like warping from system to system or core ejection and the like.

In Elite Force there had been a planned 'Insurrection Alpha' mod but they took so long to finish it that they lost it all when their hard drive crashed. The fact that all of this was on one computer surprised me as they could have put their work on multiple machines to protect against that kind of loss. The mod team was large but fractious and prone to argument and division. These human problems prolonged the progress of the mod. I read the preliminary script for the mod and what they were doing went way beyond the events of the VOY episode it recreated, "Worst Case Scenario". I waited patiently for over a year for a first release but they only ever released a beta of one level and a great trailer, saying "coming soon". That 'soon' never came, not too long after I got EF the mod ended and the mod website went under. I was so dissapointed with them for not releasing their work in segments but they wanted their custom levels to be grandiose. It would have been incredible if completed but their quest for perfection resulted in a lost project and shattered dreams.

I highly recommend to all fans that you pursue realistic goals and achieve big ones one step at a time. Having great ideas and coupling them with great enthusiasm is nice but if you set your standard too high you will accomplish nothing. I have my own projects but I always pursue them one step at a time so I don't end up losing myself. The guys behind that big EF mod could have released their work in segments to grab and keep the interest of fans but in 2-3 years they released so little of their work. When their work was lost no one had anything to remember from their great project, which became a huge dissapointment. This accompanied by the fact that EF was so hard to mod in the first place. Jedi Knight was easier to mod because of programs like JED and JKEdit.

Achieving big goals by making baby steps is my advice to people who want to realize their Trek dreams. I still think the computer is the best way to do that because you don't have to lose your livelihood in the process.