Babylon 5's Katsulas Dies

gingillo

From Sci Fi Wire, 15-FEBRUARY-06

"Babylon 5's Katsulas Dies

Andreas Katsulas, the character actor known to SF fans as G'Kar on Babylon 5 and a familiar face from Star Trek and other SF&F TV shows, died Feb. 13 of lung cancer in Los Angeles, his agent, Donna Massetti, confirmed to SCI FI Wire. He was 59.

Katsulas, a longtime resident of Los Angeles, played the Narn ambassador G'Kar for five years in the syndicated cult TV series Babylon 5, starting in 1993. He reprised the role in subsequent Babylon 5 telefilms.

Katsulas was also no stranger to Trek fans, playing Romulan Cmdr. Tomalak in Star Trek: The Next Generation. His last appearance in a Trek series was as a Vissian captain on an episode of Enterprise."

:(

:(

A sad day. His portrayal of G'kar changed my way of thinking. He will be missed.

G'Quon wrote, "There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."

No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand. The Centauri learned that lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Although it take a thousand years, we will be free.

Our thoughts form the universe. They are always important.

If I take a lamp and shine it toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth... for understanding. Too often, we assume that the light on the wall is God, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the sense of revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search - who does not bring a lantern - sees nothing. What we perceive as God is the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light... pure and unblemished... not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes we stand in front of the light and assume that we are the center of the universe - God looks astonishingly like we do - or we turn to look at our shadow and assume that all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose, which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and in all its flaws; and in so doing, better understand the world around us.

I believe that when we leave a place a part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in these halls, when it is quiet and just listen. After a while you will hear the echoes of all of our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit that the part of me that going will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

I heard he was a SOB at conventions' date=' for not signing autographs and being rude to fans.[/quote']

This surprises me... I don't why, I haven't heard anything either way about it.. but it does.

G'kar and Londo... apart from being great characters are probably thet best double act ever to appear in any sci fi.

I'm sorry he's gone and will never be able to reprise G'Kar again.

EDIT: @ the original poster.... that's a bummer of a first post. dude! :o

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:52:01 +0000 (UTC)

Lines: 41

Just over a year ago, Andreas Katsulas -- who loved smoking with a

passion that cannot be described -- was diagnosed with lung cancer,

which by then had already spread to other areas. He quit smoking at

once and went on a healthy diet and vitamin program, but there was

little hope of a good resolution even though the new regimen was very

good for him. When we spoke about it, he laughed, and said, "Now that

I'm dying I've never felt better!"

His spirits were always up and positive, putting everyone at ease about

his condition, because...well, that's the kind of person he was.

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me,

Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and

good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him

because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we

knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

Last night, in the company of his wife and family, Andreas closed his

eyes and went away.

He lived an amazing life...full of travel and wonder and good

work...was part of the world renowned Peter Brook company...he saw the

planet, loved and was loved, ate at great restaurants, smoked too many

cigarettes...he lived a life some people would die for.

And, sadly, due to the last part of that equation...he did.

Memorial arrangements are still being worked out, but will doubtless be

private.

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play

that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

J. Michael Straczynski

I don`t base my judgements on hearsay' date=' just what they write in forums. B)[/quote']

It might have been from my uncle, but I've found other posts that he had a nasty habit of cancelling conventions he had been scheduled to attend. Not that he did many in the first place for some reason. After all, it's the fans who make you famous. You have to give back something.

Being an ACTOR and a HUMAN BEING are 2 separate things. I have no respect for a-holes in real life.

Besides, death isn't the end. I KNOW.

Oh shut up. He was a extremely talented actor and his craft enrichened my life and many other lives. For that alone he deserves more respect than you or any other person on this board. So stop your ridiculous sniping and act a little human yourself.

To be honest, I don't think actors have any moral obligation to go to conventions etc.

And the notion that actors have to "give something back" is a view that seems to be supported mainly by selfish fanboys who abuse the "right" anyway.

For me, he did a good job on the show which will place him infinitely higher than you wahaha - you seem to spend rather a large amount of your time being unreasonable, deliberately argumentative and senselessly antagonistic. Trolling a dead man though - that a new low.

Oh shut up. He was a extremely talented actor and his craft enrichened my life and many other lives. For that alone he deserves more respect than you or any other person on this board. So stop your ridiculous sniping and act a little human yourself.

>>>>A FAN WROTE:

>>>>>For every person like yourself who stands up to these jerks, there are

>>>>>hundreds of other victims who say nothing, often due to feeling

>>>>>self-conscious that it will look like they're over-reacting.

>JMS RESPONDS:

>And that's been the curse of the net ever since its inception.

>The rule of the game is that it's okay to say anything you want, about

>anybody, no matter how offensive or incorrect...but to defend yourself

>(or someone else), to take the person to task for it, THAT'S somehow

>wrong, it means you can't stand the heat, or you're infringing their

>right to speak, or being rude, or somesuch.

>It's carte blanche for the assholes and the nutcases and the rude folk

>to say any damned thing they want, no matter how untrue, hurtful, or

>libelous. And most astonishing of all is that people buy INTO this bullshit.

>The ones who badrap everybody the most, who feel that they have the

>right to do whatever they want to other people, are always the ones

>who go most bugfuck when somebody goes after THEM in return. THAT

>they don't like, THAT is unfair.

>It's the logic of the guy who pees in the pool 'cause he thinks its fun.

>I say fuck 'em.

>jms

On behalf of the late Andreas Katsulas, I would like to thank you. :D

Certain people need to understand to give the benefit of the doubt.

He may have had reasons for `allegedly` cancelling appearances, after all he was dying.

I agree that actors have no reason that they have to appear at conventions. If they do appear, it is a bonus to the fans, not a right.

Again I say,

Rest In PEACE G`Kar. :(