You think Starbuck character

SpaceSAM

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to go with just bearable. :thinking:

At first I had an issue with Star"BUCK", not Doe, being a woman. :mad:

The original Starbuck was a cigar smoking, drinking, womanizer and I questioned how they were going to pull it off changing the gender of the character.

:D And it turns out they/she did a good job of making the switch and I applaud them/her on that.

But the whole bad “frakken†attitude has gotten kinda old.

I think it’s time the character sober up a bit, and I mean just a bit, and started doing her job as good as we know she can, without the insubordination issues, or at least less of them.

Maybe she just needs to “get†with Lee and she’ll be all happy. ;)

Although that might be kinda weird, wasn’t she engaged to Lee’s brother?

I don't understand why she hasn't been executed yet for being such a insubordinate jerk. If I were her captain' date=' I woulda shot her out of the nearest airlock long ago, good pilot or not.[/quote']

well, she has come close to that a few times actually, with her relations with Saul Tigh, and with the commander Garner (or what's-his-name) on the pegasus. The two other superior ranking officers we have seen her with are Lee (as CAG), and admiral Cayne.

And Cayne had to do all she could to get Starbuck on her side as a part of her whole "get commander Adama out" scheme.

so basically, the only reason she "gets away with it", is because of her very special relations with the adamas, and the show repeatedly implies she'd get in trouble very fast if there was just her and "normal" superior officer.

Now, her attitude before she got under the old man's wing, we do not know. In the flashbacks when she's still in caprica, I don't think there's signs of such a strong attitude. It may have gotten worse with time, as her skills and growing protection from adama gave her a growing immunity and pushed her further into her pathological attitude.

I think we can make it be quite plausible.

While I have liked Starbucks character this go around, her personality shift since she came back from Caprica has been a bit much. That said, hopefully the writers are taking her to a interesting point to move the plot along at some point soon.

Starbuck = BAREABLE

Starbuck's character USED TO BE awesome--a maverick who still gave her all for the cause. Then she went through a "tortured soul phase" where she was way too insubbordinate, but it was quite appropriate for the dynamic nature of the character (not for an officer as such, of course). But now that's played out WAY too much.

I give her a BAREABLE rating now, because she's just too annoying. Take this past episode. Sure the Commander of Pegasus was a putz who shouldn't have been in charge, but he WAS and she went out of her way to mess with things and it ruined her work--and the pilots under her lost respect for her. She should not even be wearing a uniform now--if I was her CO I'd put her on medical leave until she shaped up because she's a danger to everyone she comes in contact with. The difference between her and Apollo is that he knows when to be a punk and when to play ball, she's a punk even when it might kill innocent people. She's screwed up.

If there was no Baltar, I'd say she'd be the reason to watch the show. But I just love Baltar's character. I always love the villians, and he is one cunning evil man.

But besides him, Starbuck is awesome. She's tough, the best viper pilot there is, hot as hell...*droooooooooooooooooooool*

*ahem* Yes, she is quite acceptable.

yes i didn't like here at first but she kinda grows on ya!!

and i'd suspect if the two main pilots were guys then they'ed end up being gay!!

hint hint, sponging off the broke back mt success...

btw, how come your never see any gay/ poofs in ST,, guess they found the cure??? :)

not counting picard!!!

ok ok it was a joke!!!!!

Starbuck = BAREABLE

oopsie, sorry, my bad !

I've got an excuse though, english is not my first language. So please 'bear' with my terrible mistakes, I'm trying my best.

;)

and actually thanks for correcting me, that's the best way for me to improve my english.

If there was no Baltar, I'd say she'd be the reason to watch the show. But I just love Baltar's character. I always love the villians, and he is one cunning evil man.

But besides him, Starbuck is awesome. She's tough, the best viper pilot there is, hot as hell...*droooooooooooooooooooool*

*ahem* Yes, she is quite acceptable.

I totally second that ! :)

On several episodes, I found myself awaiting her appearance more than any other character.

I agree with the opinions she's been too much lately, objectively.

but even then I didn't find her that annoying at all.

And I really enjoyed her

reconciliation and tender hug with Lee

at the end of 2x17. That must be the romantic in me overpassing the cynic layers :)

I think she'll get better from now on, and we've seen her worse (for now, at least..)

I'd vote for "the highlight of the show" personnally, but it seems I can't vote. Poll posters can't take their own poll ?

Changing the gender of a main character is silly in my opinion because it accomplishes nothing. It's like making Julius Caesar a woman or Captain Picard a woman. Unless you use a decent actress like the one who played the female changeling on DS9 (great leader she was) it would be impossible to pull off.

I dunno, one of my favorite incarnations of The Doctor was female. ;)

That said, I dont have a problem with them changing the sex/color/religion of any character in a reimaging of a series. As long as it's a generally good series, just changing the characters sex will not make a bad series good.

Changing the gender of a main character is silly in my opinion because it accomplishes nothing. It's like making Julius Caesar a woman or Captain Picard a woman. Unless you use a decent actress like the one who played the female changeling on DS9 (great leader she was) it would be impossible to pull off.

In case you hadn't noticed - this isn't just a rehash of the original BSG, it's a totally different show that beyond the basic premise has almost no similarity to that show.

It's been how long since the show started? She's got a vagina - get over it.

I feel the character is in a bit of a low at the moment, although for me that's because the show seems to have fallen into a bit of a lull. I feel the presidential election could kick things up a notch though... I hope that Starbuck plays her part.

Well, realize that in s2e15 "Scar", we see just WHY she is acting squirrely. There has been a lot of losses in the Viper squads, and it's frakking with her head. Add into it the fact she is still pining for Anders, and you'll have issues.

Also, she feels like a frakup. She accidentally shot Lee in s2e16"Sacrifice", and just feels like she can't do anything right. If anything, this makes her character seem more real, more human. And this is what truely makes the difference between the old BSG and the new.

The old one was "Oh ho hum, we just lost our home, but we're going along just fine." The new one SHOWS the concequences of this. People burn out. People get desperate. People even get squirrely. You see tempers flare within the fleet. And this is how humans behave.

That's true - let's see.

On top of the whole humanity on the brink of destruction with her life regularly on the line - she's not just pining for Anders, she feels she betrayed him because they didn't go back! And yes - she's obviously struggling with the command, managed to shoot Lee, has become an alco and lost her spaces as topgun to a "frakking stim junkie".

Starbuck is the most polarizing figure on the show -- even just to me individually!

I may be in the minority in that I love the character arc she has been on in the Season 2.5. Although I liked Season 1-2ish Starbuck's brash devil-may-care attitude, I did think that her character became too perfect. She was

the best pilot

the best shot "in or out of the cockpit"

able to devise the best military strategy because she thinks "out of the box"

a great athlete who was going to play pro sports before being injured

a great card player

Basically, whatever sitation arose, it seemed that Starbuck was always the best equipped to deal with it because she was Starbuck.

In the beginning, the only consequence she had for bending the rules was her great guilt over having passed Zak in flight school -- and even then, she was forgiven quite readily by both Lee and later Bill Adama. Even if I could fan-wank that her insubordination never catching up to her was directly related to the fondness of both Adamas for her and that the "Great Starbuck persona" could be a result of implied abuse as a child, she started to become an overblown, artificial character to me because of the complete lack of consequences - especially in a military setting.

In the more recent episodes, I'm grateful that we finally see her coping with not being the best in any and all endeavors. Mini-spoilers for Scar & The Captain's Hand:

As unpleasant as it was to see her crawl into the bottle in Scar, I was relieved to rediscover a character who isn't perfect and who has to struggle with consequences that arise from personal and professional flaws. Lee finally getting angry with her, explaining why and doing so without rejecting her as a friend (or whatever) was also wonderful to see -- her free pass from both Adams needs to expire in order for her to grow into adulthood and resume adult relationships.

I've become a Starbuck fan again! :D

So she needs to fall from grace in order to raise to the top again?

Now there's a cliche I hate ;\ It's one thing for them to depict her struggles both internal and external but becoming a drunk who shoots one of the men she loves as a result and other crap is just stupid IMHO.