Logs

x5315

In nearly half of the star trek episodes, some for of logs has been deleted. Isn't this a security risk. Don't you think it would be better if they were practically undeletable. ATM it seems like nearly any ensign is able to hide information by just deleting logs, why is that so?

In the cases I remember where logs were deleted they usually knew whose log had been deleted, from what terminal it had been deleted, and in a lot of cases, who's "login" deleted them. I think to delete a log the person must use the "login" of someone who has access. For example, most Lieutenants probably have access to change almost any sensor log, etc, and the Ensigns have access to change the logs in their area of expertise.

They could make them "undeletable", but then there would just be more episodes where someone found a way to delete undeletable logs.

They could make them "undeletable"' date=' but then there would just be more episodes where someone found a way to delete undeletable logs.[/quote']

Yeah some ensign probably got an crack and overrided the "you can't delete this log" message.... Allthough the message would then say something like Lcars nicely cracked by Team SnD. :)

They could make them "undeletable"' date=' but then there would just be more episodes where someone found a way to delete undeletable logs.[/quote']

Yeah some ensign probably got an crack and overrided the "you can't delete this log" message.... Allthough the message would then say something like Lcars nicely cracked by Team SnD. :)

Heh heh yeah. And it would have insanely loud Midi music playing in the background while the crack was working, and the "no sound" button would be impossible to find until after you've woken up everyone on your deck.

its a trap set up by star fleet in my opinion. You see this is how it goes down.

The corrupt ensign goes to delete the logg of the transporters... and he will be discovered by one of the fancy Cheif Engineers. and then the ensign will try to escape and he will be shot or captured. eaitehr way the loyalty of the Federation is maintained by removing thoes who try to mess with logs...

Its desigend so that you will get caught and get...removed...

Kinda how the Tal Shiar works... but in a more discreet way.

Heh, a lot of things in Star Trek are silly. Like how easy it is to do anything. Point a stick with a glowing top on a "fluxinducing power coupling" for a few minutes and you have access to the security system, or whatever. I don't think it's worth analyzing stuff within this particular aspect of Star Trek too closely.

Heh' date=' a lot of things in Star Trek are silly. Like how easy it is to do anything. Point a stick with a glowing top on a "fluxinducing power coupling" for a few minutes and you have access to the security system, or whatever. I don't think it's worth analyzing stuff within this particular aspect of Star Trek [i']too[/i] closely.

How right you are. Take it for what it's worth - not for what you wish it was worth. And I'm not demeaning any aspect of Star Trek: the "sillyness" is necessary in order for the episode to focus on the story / making it's point.

Well' date=' the simple fact is that no computer file can be made "undeletable". Even if you carved each log entry in stone, the stone could be broken. There is no method of storage that cannot be destroyed or tampered with.[/quote']

Stones schmones. Just have security add restore points! :D

Security precautions on Trek are usually pretty silly. I remember an episode where 7 was trying to access Cpt. Janeway's logs, but was not allowed access, so she opened a panel, pulled out an isolinear chip, and in less than 5 seconds was listening to Janeway's private thoughts. Another time on voyager, Barclay was denied access to the Pathfinder lab. Fortunately he was able to disable the forcefield to this high security facility in less than 15 seconds by opening a panel, pulling out a chip, and waving a glowing stick at it. As Exterus said, it's probably best not to take stuff like logs and security too seriously on trek. These are two areas where things can get pretty rediculous in the interest of easy plot development.

Also remember that this isn't just some cruise ship. It is a military vessel. Yes, an ensign could change logs. However, would an ensign on a military naval vessel frak around with logs?

Nope. These people aren't just turned loose like crack smoking kids in a candy store. These people are trained to do their jobs, and do it quite well. Also notice that when someone abuses the abilities, they eventually get caught.

Well' date=' the simple fact is that no computer file can be made "undeletable". Even if you carved each log entry in stone, the stone could be broken. There is no method of storage that cannot be destroyed or tampered with.[/quote']

"Backups"? With all the capacity the main computer has on a Galaxy class ship, surely it can allocate some space to backup logs.

Even more so make that space set aside in it's own terminal that is cut off from the rest of the computer (meaning manual input of daily logs would be needed). Like a blackbox, for logs, sort of..