Where have the torrents gone?

species8472

These articles say that we are over 24,000 strong?

Well what are we going to do about this?

Who here wants to start up a fund to help in his defense? Can we get enough of us together to go and stage a protest on the trial date (assuming there is one)?

24,000 people is a lot of people and I don't know about you but Nite and this site mean more to me than my vacation days!!! If anyone is interested lets hear it. Post back and lets see who is willing to stand up to these guys. Even now though we must be careful. I am going through a couple of other servers to mask my IP before typing this but lets do it.

Organize a resistance right in front of them.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mrthumps

Who here wants to start up a fund to help in his defense? Can we get enough of us together to go and stage a protest on the trial date (assuming there is one)?

24,000 people is a lot of people and I don't know about you but Nite and this site mean more to me than my vacation days!!! If anyone is interested lets hear it. Post back and lets see who is willing to stand up to these guys. Even now though we must be careful. I am going through a couple of other servers to mask my IP before typing this but lets do it.

Well, seeing that the section that caused this rukus and the areas of this very forum that were meant for various chatter have been removed I think it's safe to say that Nite made his decision about it.

Not meaning to sound harsh but this isn't the only website out there and there are plently for everyone to find what they're looking for. While it's sad and a downer that Nite got hit, we have to just accept it and move on.

It could be worse....Nite could have killed this forum as well. At least we still have a place to post messages and vent out this situation.

Well, seeing that the section that caused this rukus and the areas of this very forum that were meant for various chatter have been removed I think it's safe to say that Nite made his decision about it.

Not meaning to sound harsh but this isn't the only website out there and there are plently for everyone to find what they're looking for. While it's sad and a downer that Nite got hit, we have to just accept it and move on.

It could be worse....Nite could have killed this forum as well. At least we still have a place to post messages and vent out this situation.

indeed - i spend much more time on the forum than the torrent site - i download very little really.

And actually - 24,000 users isn't correct - we are nearly at 50,000 users

Thanks to Nite for everything you have been a star man when it came to this site and board i hope you dont give in to the man theres always away around eveything once again thx for your time and engery you have put into this site it will be missed by all but i will miss it the most as i dont ever download anything else beside scifi shows from here

rico

Boing Boing just posted about a new MPAA attack on websites and newsgroups' date=' including this one![/quote']

Security Notice You have tried to connect to a Website believed to contain inappropriate content. The E-Mail and Internet Use Policy does not permit access to these types of site.

Awww crud. Can someone post a copy of the article as text?

Awesome, your ISP blocks the MPAA and allows Niteshdw! Where do I sign up?

The MPAA go on about creators loosing money by people using filesharing programs. Here in Australia they are not losing any money, not one cent, we dont get to see SciFi!

The reason Australian TV stations don't give a $%#@ about SciFi.

Channel 10 broadcast Battlestar Galactica, the decided in their wisdom not to show season 2.

Channel 9 were broadcasting Star Trek 3 years after after it was produced. The are not even going to broadcast S4 of Enterprise. Even when they did it was on at 1am 2am or 3am take your pick on what time on which week it always changed. They also broadcast Farscape take your pick on day night and time.

Channel 7 broadcast Stargate SG1 5 of 6 weeks a year only out of rating period, or they would decide to change the day and time as a fill in when a sporting event was cancelled or finised early.

The national broadcaster ABC "non commercial TV" broadcast Doctor Who.

I'm a little late chipping in but here's my $0.02:

I know how the shopping industry works. Companies do not give out DVDs for free for the retailer to sell and then wait for the money to be passed back. The big companies sell the DVDs (CDs, VHS, whatever) to smaller companies through a distribution chain and they are paid in advance for the materials they expect to sell which means that for a certain amount of time the company is holding money which it hasn't rightfully earned (legally yes but rightfully no). On this advance they earn interest on the money they haven't yet earned and as this happens globally they can earn millions in interest every day just by distributing their wares. Even if they are sale or return this means interest has been accrued whether or not the store-level sale has been made. Money made even if there was no sale.

I pay for premium cable/subscription TV. I pay for the right to watch hundreds of channels 24/7. However I can't because the decoder only has one tuner which means anytime I watch I'm only able to watch one channel at a time which means X-hundred less one channels are losing out. Commercial companies have already paid for their airtime to have commercials shown at times while I'm working or sleeping which means I only get to watch 2 or 3 hours of TV at the most during any one day and thus for 21 to 22 hours commercial companies have payed money to have their commercials aired when I'm incapable of watching by circumstance.

Subscription service is rarely premium. It does mean getting first look at something over a non-pay TV service like season 5 of 24 long before non-paying viewers might see it. This good however some new shows are repeated up to three or four times in one week. I managed to see the Threshold pilot three times in five days. The cost for making it didn't go up so the more I see it within a certain timeframe the better. The Pay-TV company still paid for the same usage rights to it at a single price. I paid to see it once and more than likely if it happens to be on again I'll sit down and watch it. Even if I record it onto VHS or DVD I might still watch it again (even though I know for certain I have a copy that I can switch on AT ANY TIME).

Things I have watched through torrenting actually helped galvanise what I would spend my money on. I downladed Farscape PK Wars and still bought the DVD because I enjoyed the show but it took the best part of a year to come out on DVD.

The biggest arguement for torrenting is that it often has shows which will never be shown again or brought out on DVD like Bucky O'Hare, Gargoyles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - shows I watched once or twice but never saw again - and I can have them. Someone has encoded them in a format I can use and they are sharing it.

Despite this I still buy retail games because I enjoy the 'never been used before' feeling that comes with them but they were paid for long before I came in and bought them.The distibutors already have their money,

what theyre just gona force file sharing deeper & deeper under ground... making a perfectly secure way of file sharing allowing real illegal stuff (you know what i mean) to flow around the internet...

I'd hate to see an episode of voyager get out there in the wild.

here is a thought.. perhaps it may be that seed of an idea that can strike back at the MPAA..

bottom line.. I live in an area that films many shows/movies/etc.. they CANT work if even a few people are uncoopertive much less outright protesting.. rather than walking down the streets randomly protesting.

Organize, prevent, delay, cost em in production costs.. make them hire thousands more for security, riot though (outdoor) movie sets. blockade critical roads used to access sites. in general screw with them, an airhorn can cause all kinds of fun when they are trying to film an outdoor scene..

it works for anti logging, it can work aganst movie sets..

i know there's gonna be some problems for BSG which films in my area as a result of this bullshit..

time to take it back while its still possible..

Warp5 just paid for the licensing right there with that big sexy robot! Wonder if running MPAA ads would shut them up. Personally, it seems like a ruse on the part of THE MAN, cause you know how it works, they get the legal action started long before they let you know about it. How many sites got locked out just before they got contacted?

I haven't gotton anything off the tracker in weeks I think, spending time with MOSt of you is why I come here, so let's not let that go.

Otherwise, I can't say what I really want because It'll get modded, but let me start a list.

1. Noobies to the site, shut the f@#$ up.

2. Everyone who is jinxing the thing with legal talk, eulogies, swan songs and "Thanks For The Memories" posts, shut the f@#$ up.

3. You, yeah, you with the "Where can I find..." questions. Man, that's insulting. Not only should you get out, but shut the f@#$ up.

EDIT: when I posted this it returned me to the top of the page with CyberBob's post. Dude, shut the f@#$ up.

Just what a guy needs, people piling misery on the doorstep. I know many of the users here agree that this right here, this forum, this is Niteshdw.com, we may not all be freinds or even like each other sometimes, but I had my eyes opened several times here and I bet it happens again. This is the site, the torrents can be found anywhere, but this group of users is nowhere else but right here.

Personally, I'm hoping to get involved with the Torrent Tome project, I think this is the future for alot of us since we know more about the shows and movies than average people care about.

So say we all?

Oh man I can't afford money for DS9 on DVD. I had all the eps on video but they went in my shed after Uni and it flooded, so they are destroyed.

I hate the MPAA and I don't even know who they are.

Any news on when, if the torrents will be back up?

I agree it is a price thing. Star trek seasons are all in excess of $100 per season that is riduculous, when everything else is in the vicinity of 50. What are we supposed to do.

Yesterday when all this was happening i finishing up watching the entire TNG series for the first time. it's really quite an amazing coincidence that all this happened while i was watching such an epic episode, esspecially how one of the major quotes was when Q said to Picard "All good things must come to an end." ... sadly it feels like i'm learning that lesson the hard way today.

Oh man I can't afford money for DS9 on DVD. I had all the eps on video but they went in my shed after Uni and it flooded, so they are destroyed.

I hate the MPAA and I don't even know who they are.

Any news on when, if the torrents will be back up?

I agree it is a price thing. Star trek seasons are all in excess of $100 per season that is riduculous, when everything else is in the vicinity of 50. What are we supposed to do.

I say we blame it on Braga. B)

Warp5 just paid for the licensing right there with that big sexy robot! Wonder if running MPAA ads would shut them up. Personally, it seems like a ruse on the part of THE MAN, cause you know how it works, they get the legal action started long before they let you know about it. How many sites got locked out just before they got contacted?

I haven't gotton anything off the tracker in weeks I think, spending time with MOSt of you is why I come here, so let's not let that go.

Otherwise, I can't say what I really want because It'll get modded, but let me start a list.

1. Noobies to the site, shut the f@#$ up.

2. Everyone who is jinxing the thing with legal talk, eulogies, swan songs and "Thanks For The Memories" posts, shut the f@#$ up.

3. You, yeah, you with the "Where can I find..." questions. Man, that's insulting. Not only should you get out, but shut the f@#$ up.

EDIT: when I posted this it returned me to the top of the page with CyberBob's post. Dude, shut the f@#$ up.

Just what a guy needs, people piling misery on the doorstep. I know many of the users here agree that this right here, this forum, this is Niteshdw.com, we may not all be freinds or even like each other sometimes, but I had my eyes opened several times here and I bet it happens again. This is the site, the torrents can be found anywhere, but this group of users is nowhere else but right here.

Personally, I'm hoping to get involved with the Torrent Tome project, I think this is the future for alot of us since we know more about the shows and movies than average people care about.

So say we all?

Oh man... that post was too good to NOT to comment on.

I've been in a really bad mood ever since the lawsuit news hit, as I'm sure that 100% of the forum regulars (if you're not sure who the forum regulars are, then you probabally arn't one of them) have been. The only three things that have made me smile, and laugh since this whole thing started has been 1) my GF, 2) my kids, and 3) str82u's points in the quoted section 1 through 3, and especially the edit.

You sir, have just made a friend for life from everyone that the general concensus conciters to be a regular on these fine boards.