Where have the torrents gone?

species8472

Maybe I'm a bit less tolerant, but when these "new" people that like people have mentioned JUST signed up and are begging for information, why can't someone just give them the BOOT!?! There has to be someone with the administrative ability to STOP letting people sign up new, as starcrunch mentioned, but also that ANYBODY that is so STUPID to CONTINUE to sign up or has recently signed up and NOT read the entire thread here and keeps begging for "information" that is NOT here - just BOOT them off and ban them all together. Maybe they ARE legitimate people wanting to sign up, but most likely NOT. At the very least, they should be banned for being STUPID! :mad:

Heck, I'd prefer that even I got banned if I was doing something SO continually STUPID and ANNOYING and creating potential trouble for the rest of this board. I say just BOOT the JERKS! :mad:

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mrthumps
Anyone else notice how suddenly we have people who just signed up right around the time this mess started, and are all clamoring for trackers?

People, WAKE THE FRAK UP! The majority of the people that are doing this aren't people we want to know. Most of these are nothing more than a jackbooted leg of the MPAA. They're trying to goad people into giving up information. They especially want to get the information as to where other sites may be for filesharing.

There is a simple concept. If you don't know someone, don't tell them anything. I get several PMs a day of people asking for addresses. All of them are from people who have just signed up recently, and not one gets a single SHRED of information from me.

Wake up, and be smart. If you don't at least know the person, then don't tell anyone anything. Especially when you have agents of the MPAA scouring about for this information.

I think you're being a little too paranoid over this.

Just keep telling people who ask what nite and s0v told us all to tell them and eventually the rest will get the hint and understand that this is a messageboard and that's all there is to it.

Maybe I'm a bit less tolerant, but when these "new" people that like people have mentioned JUST signed up and are begging for information, why can't someone just give them the BOOT!?! There has to be someone with the administrative ability to STOP letting people sign up new, as starcrunch mentioned, but also that ANYBODY that is so STUPID to CONTINUE to sign up or has recently signed up and NOT read the entire thread here and keeps begging for "information" that is NOT here - just BOOT them off and ban them all together. Maybe they ARE legitimate people wanting to sign up, but most likely NOT. At the very least, they should be banned for being STUPID! :mad:

Heck, I'd prefer that even I got banned if I was doing something SO continually STUPID and ANNOYING and creating potential trouble for the rest of this board. I say just BOOT the JERKS! :mad:

Now that's just being elitist and you're right, you are being "less intolerant".

Because they haven't posted before and are trying to get information you want to ban them? Not everyone thinks to read all the messages beforehand.

A little more patience is needed right now till everyone figures out and understands what the 411 is here. Things will calm down eventually.

Scary isn't it?

Nite should close down the sign ups for now.

Screening would be a better method. The new users seem to flock into two groups: those that understand the situation or those that don't & just want to ask "wehere con eye getz mah tor ants?!" :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents opinion:

I'm not a newcomer here even if I have never posted a message in a forum.

I'm european.

The storm will pass..believe me.. they are just preparing the field for themself to enter the market of "WebTV" or IPTV...

Did anyone notice that google video is not offering 2 seasons of DS9 ?! (And that is just a BETA test)

Now.. WHAT *IS* the problem with p2p ?! Simple: p2p it's a great way of sharing ideas/thoughts/likes/no-likes etc etc... the problem is that p2p has a weak point: exception made for a few networks, all p2p softwares need a search engine, a tracker or something like it for people to find what they are searching...

In this way MPAA & C. will have someone to hunt for, to blame or to repress.

The answer HAVE TO be something like KAD (for example)... a serverless network. Where everybody is a search engine, everybody is a client and a server, etc etc

At that point they will sue a few people and then understand they can't sue the whole word for something it's intrinsic to human being: SHARING.

I fully understand copyright laws and motives, but, as many already stated here, infringing copyrights is something different from SHARING.

Nobody gets sued if he/she buys or rents a DVD and shows it to a few friends at dinner...

What's the difference in P2P ?! Just that I can have more 'friends', more people to share with...

And believe me: I personally own every single DVD of startrek (original of course) and as someone already said, I bought a few other dvd I would never have bought if I haven't downloaded them before and liked them.

(I quit this post here.. I could go on for hundreds words but almost everything has already been said...)

Just a reminder: if anybody doesn't already know it, search on google for "THE MENTOR MANIFESTO" (you will find it in almost any language).

Just wanted to say something, everyone seems to have gotten extremely paranoid over this MPAA press release when theres not much to go on yet. Having read my way through this thread a couple of times, i think more recent posts are extremely elitist.

I've been coming to niteshdw for months now and im not a leecher, i used to leave my computer seeding as well. I didnt join in the community in a written way on these boards, as you'll note this is my first post. I voted on polls, read what people had written on the boards and the site itself was an amazing accomplishment in my opinion. Im very grateful that niteshdw saw fit to create what was a fantastic thing and enjoyed it while it existed. However, the paranoia that has struck the community, especially this thread, did my head in and prompted me to post.

All you people who posted every day, dont have a go at anyone new! Perhaps theyre just like me and just shared and shared alike while they could, a persons number of posts dont define them, and this idea that the MPAA have "special agents" policing the niteshdw forums in case someone mentions if theres another tracker is ludicrous! Theres tonnes of other trackers if you can find em, none of which belong to niteshdw anyway so he's covered himself by closing his for now.

I just want everyone to mosey on over to IsoHunt and read their statement about the MPAA announcement. Theres a lot of torrent sites that arent going to stand for being bullied and i have to agree with them. They are not actively copying restricted material onto their servers, most of the traffic is simply passing through their bandwidth and theyre just making .torrent files available which arent in themselves copyright material. Metaphorically, if your mate down the pub said, "I know a bloke who can get you cheap DVDs" he wouldnt be breaking the law would he...

Technically everyone connected to a tracker and sharing pieces of the files actually has the copyright material and could be prosecuted, and on some trackers thats around 20,000 peers at a time (if you're lucky). The MPAA wouldnt bother trying to process 20,000 civil suits so they bully the sites that have the .torrent files, sites that do nothing but for lack of a better explanation, point you in the direction of people with the files on a p2p network.

Anyway im done moaning, everyone just stop pointing fingers at each other and going "you're a secret MPAA special niteshdw forum monitoring agent!" its so sad.

Gd'nite

My post had a point. Just before the tracker was eliminated, there was a sudden influx of signups. If you look at most of these posters, they all have signup dates within the last 2 weeks.

The RIAA has made it a habit of joining boards that stay alive once their filesharing/torrent trackers are down. They monitor it to get the addresses of other places, which they then also serve and sue.

Do I sound paranoid? Elitest? Well, too frakking bad. We all have the right to not be harassed. So if I happen to know where I can get the latest episode of Frakked, I'm not telling anyone, unless I happen to know them.

And yes, I only joined back in December. However, I post regularly on here, and have had the chance to get to know a few good people on here. So get over it, and get to know people on here before throwing a tantrum.

Sad part is that if every form of P2P or file-sharing were to completely disappear right now this instant.... they'd still claim that they lost 5.4 billion last year due to some other excuse, rather than admitting that they just make garbage (Star Wars 1-3 anyone?), and hope they can recoup the losses for the costs of making that drek they think we'll like.

I for one probably never would have bought the Firefly series had I not downloaded the torrent of the series, and then I probably never would have gone to the theater 6 times to watch the movie Serenity (based off Firefly) and then BOUGHT the DVD as soon as it was available if it had NOT been for the fact that I had seen it first via P2P file-sharing.

Oh by the way...not new here..just posting for the first time.

I'm sure as time goes by I'll post more...

This really scares me. I come to this place because of the friendly people so please everyone don't stop being friendly to each other :o This has become one of my favourite places on the internet and I'd hate to see it changed. PLEASE everyone READ THE POSTING RULES. Nite didn't make those for nothing and they're more important now than ever.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it really doesn't matter what you think about this, what your opinion is of certain organizations or if they read here or not. The only thing that matters is what NITE wants! This is his place and we are his guests. You don't put your feet on the table in someone elses house even if you do that at home do you? And if someone asks you not to smoke in his house you don't, even if there's nothing illegal about it. It's really none of our business what his reasons are, we just comply or stay away, simple as that.

So can we now please end this and go back to business as usual? I liked it much better that way.

mr. niteshadow...:)

give us back the torrents. its not illegal to watch recorded tv shows, we all pay enough money

...dont let them dry our wallets again and again.they will earn enough money through their work. :):)

Hey, Trekman, what part of this didn't you and others, understand????

1. Noobies to the site, shut the f@#$ up.

2. Everyone who is jinxing the thing with legal talk, eulogies, swan songs and "Thanks For The Memories" posts, shut the f@#$ up.

3. You, yeah, you with the "Where can I find..." questions. Man, that's insulting. Not only should you get out, but shut the f@#$ up.

oh ...big boss here ,arent you man ? Is this a forum or a joke place ? with shouting at others you will receive nothing good back. Is that what StarTrek thought you ?

So keep on tellin all "noobs" : your are nothing but ####. shut up and be lucky that you are allowed to be registered here. keep your mouth shut then nothing will happen to you . And if you dont read all damn stuff written on this forum and donot decide right which is written from the "important" pple and you donot kiss asses then youre fired.

wow ...what a policy here. Never saw something like that on a forum. I hope youre not the master example of the "important" pple here. thought this was a good place , but this ..:(

Don't let the door hit you on your way out! Kissing asses and asking dumbass questions are 2 entirely different things, there is also the other thing where you actually bring something worthwhile to the convo(you have not done this). When and if you learn the difference, still don't come back as you are most likely not wanted.

maybe you should learn something man. Here are too many pple which can only shout at others and point to the door. very worthwile to the convo. ...:(

Alright first of all, everybody read this. It's a summery of all availible information regarding the lawsuit, explainations as to why some posts and threads have vanished, and an a few additions to the general posting rules.

Second of all, everybody read this. NiteShd'w orignal posting rules. The most importiant one cited there right now would be

3. The Ranking system does not imply any sort of authority

-- The ranking system is designed to show how active a user is in the forums, but in no way does it give that user any special privledge or authority. Please do not "brag" or attack based on rank. Doing so will result in posts being deleted, demotion, or a complete removal of the ranking system

Finally, the forum moderators, and myself have ALL been working in over drive lately, so that NiteShdw dosen't have to. So we're all understandably cranky. I would seriouslly advise that you don't add to our aggrovation at this time, by seeing how close to the line you can go, as you may not find us as tolerant as we normally are.

It is in everybody's best interest to follow the rules, guidelines and common sense now more then ever.

well i can tell you i did not watch one ep of enterprise on tv you dont have to be a brain to work out were i got it BUT! i did not see any ads BUT! if every one like my self did watch it on tv with the ads enterprise may still be on the air all the way to season 7 just may be this is the other side of the coin there rating would have been up for a start any way i own all four seaons on legal dvds any way just some food for thought ps i dont think their was much file p2p going on when stng was first on tv .

Alright first of all' date=' everybody read this. It's a summery of all availible information regarding the lawsuit, explainations as to why some posts and threads have vanished, and an a few additions to the general posting rules.

Second of all, everybody read this. NiteShd'w orignal posting rules. The most importiant one cited there right now would be

3. The Ranking system does not imply any sort of authority

-- The ranking system is designed to show how active a user is in the forums, but in no way does it give that user any special privledge or authority. Please do not "brag" or attack based on rank. Doing so will result in posts being deleted, demotion, or a complete removal of the ranking system

Finally, the forum moderators, and myself have ALL been working in over drive lately, so that NiteShdw dosen't have to. So we're all understandably cranky. I would seriouslly advise that you don't add to our aggrovation at this time, by seeing how close to the line you can go, as you may not find us as tolerant as we normally are.

It is in everybody's best interest to follow the rules, guidelines and common sense now more then ever.

spoken good and clear ...I agree completely :)

This really scares me. I come to this place because of the friendly people so please everyone don't stop being friendly to each other :o This has become one of my favourite places on the internet and I'd hate to see it changed. PLEASE everyone READ THE POSTING RULES. Nite didn't make those for nothing and they're more important now than ever.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it really doesn't matter what you think about this, what your opinion is of certain organizations or if they read here or not. The only thing that matters is what NITE wants! This is his place and we are his guests. You don't put your feet on the table in someone elses house even if you do that at home do you? And if someone asks you not to smoke in his house you don't, even if there's nothing illegal about it. It's really none of our business what his reasons are, we just comply or stay away, simple as that.

So can we now please end this and go back to business as usual? I liked it much better that way.

I understand you :) and think youre absolutly right on this ....

Oh woe is me! *muchwailingandgnashingofteeth*

Ok i'm over it... shouldn't you be too?

I'm just a little sad it took this to get me interested in the forum side of things.

I hope to be here to stay! Now i'm off to find a topic thats actually what this site is all about!

TKz

is there any thing we the members can do to help ? donations to help with costs of solicitors ?

I assume you mean lawyers by usage of the word solicitors? Just curious, never heard that term used in the means of defense. I have heard it used for the prosecution side of the law, people whom submit subpeonas, warrants etc

Let's not forget Nite has no legal battle at the moment. He has not been actually "sued" by anyone nor hit up with any legal action.