What does your nickname mean?

Annika

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Exterus" is an alternate spelling of the latin word externus which means: foreign, outsider, external. I started to use it when I was 14-15 years old and felt like an outsider due to the hard time I had at school. After a few years I was so used to it that I never felt like going through the hassle of changing my online handle.

I like your avatar Exterus (heh' date=' Londo:))) My nick is phonetic - as close as it gets to my real name. I know - nothing sci-fi related or deeply symbolic; how lame is that? ;)[/quote']

Thanks. Londo Mollari is one of the greatest science fiction character ever. Oh, and I wish my nickname wasn't so "symbolic". When you're fourteen and filled to the brim with hormones and angst, symbolism is awesome. But when you're in your twenties, it isn't that cool anymore. ;)

humm dosen't take much t to think my one out....

yep after bones for tos!!! i just liked the sound of it..... i added a 2097 (as in wipeout)... jus because bones was already taken when i mad my first email acount some many years ago......

stuck ever since...

ah the good ol' days.... :)

My name comes from a character Aragorn in a book from J.R.R. Tolkein- The Lord of the Rings,but i have removed a letter R from it just because it sounds better to me!

The number 666 represents the evil side of me; it dosen't mean i worship satan because i dont!

Aragon is also a name of region and former kingdom of northeast Spain!

Top Gun. I remember when I got the internet, man well over a decade ago (around 94 or 95). And I noticed instead of obviously using your real name or whatnot, people used "handles" (as they were called back in the day) or "nicknames" (aol later coined screen names). Since fighter pilots also use handles (also known as callsigns) I immediately thought of the army/nave/air force (though I'm not a military fan). Eventually Top Gun popped into my head. Most of the screen names were cheesey (Iceman?...). I chose Maverick cause it was so, unique. You never hear people called Maverick.

I over the years just shortened it to Mav cause people would obviously shorten my name when referencing me "yea mav gave me that linux tutorial" (for example). So it stuck.

Ironically alot of people think I got it from other places, like the Mel Gibson poker movie Maverick (good movie btw), or the Mega Men X games where some of the enemy bosses are Maverick(s). Or that I was a fan of the Mavericks basketball team in the NBA. Nope, Top Gun.

Used the same name for, goin on over eight years now, close to nine.

ceedj - given to me by friends and family, because apparently "CJ" (which itself is shortend from Christopher James, but that wouldn't fit on my Drivers License, so now all my legal docs say CJ) was one syllable too many. :stare: So they shortened it. The spelling is a phonetic translation. ceed-j (just the first part of the j sound).

-ceedj

"Phonetically Correct"

Well, if you need to know...

Mine got nothing to do with, there can only be one, Highlander. It from my surename Korkeamaa and those of you who know finnish this is obvious, but just in case it's roughly translated to english as highland. Since there are hundreds of others that uses highlander, hiland, etc.

I had to settle for the modified, there can only be one, Hilander72.

Wasn't there another 'what does your nickname mean' topic a while ago?

Anyways, the one I use I used as an -alternate- when I started using a program called Direct Connect. I was a newbie, so I used this one with the intent of changing it to my 'normal' one after a while... Turns out I got well known on the hubs I was on, and so I kept using it there and elsewhere.

Ironically, it's been over a year since I last used Direct Connect... but I use Gorun Nova everywhere I go. It's also esoteric enough that I've never needed to append a number to it!

As for the meaning of 'Gorun Nova', it's the name of the Sword of Light wielded by Gourrey Gabriev in an anime series called Slayers (picked because I was connecting to an anime DC hub at the time). (Almost) totally arbitrary, but it stuck. ^^

Pella comes from the greek name pela, which means 'of the sea'. I liked it's sound but it looked odd with one L so Idecided to add another one, making it sound more like Bella. I chose the name because like most TG girls I wanted the femmine version of male name, but in my case this would have been Petra. Unfortunately this reminded me too much of a Dog on 'Blue Peter', so I went with something similar. Unlike Indiana Jones, I did not want to named after a dog!!!!!

I count myself lucky, if I had been born a genetic girl my dad would have called me 'Shirley' (he had a crush on Shirley Bassy -Singer of Goldfinger, apparently) I think I came out of the womb as a boy just to avoid the humiliation of it ;)

Wasn't there another 'what does your nickname mean' topic a while ago?

Yeah... this is my second "what does your nickname mean" thread too :p

Quos Ego is latin for I'll get them. I once looked in an very old dictionairy and i found these two words, ever since i've used them as my nickname.