NiteShdw in the news

(please don't kill me but)

I love how the article lists "Hit shows such as Quantum Leap, Sliders...." and it goes on to list BSG and others.

Now I love Sliders and QL but I would never call them "hit" shows....not by far ;p

(please don't kill me but)

I love how the article lists "Hit shows such as Quantum Leap, Sliders...." and it goes on to list BSG and others.

Now I love Sliders and QL but I would never call them "hit" shows....not by far ;p

at their respective times they were fairly popular.

I thought that the article was pretty unbiast, concitering it was filed in the busniess secion of the newspaper. I even went as far as to send the reporter an email thanking him for respecting my request to not be named as an official for the site.

Nite, you aren't even living in Utah anymore, are you?

Frankly, I'd be embarressed as hell if I ever made it to such a large newspaper as that, under these circumstances.

My current domicile is 574 Daly Ave #1B Missoula, Montana 59801, just use Google Maps to find it.

Wonder if the "does" are from this site or other ones.

All the suits filed that I've seen all list Does 1-10. It sounds like a fishing expedition to me. It's hard to imagine a strange coincidence that isohunt.com, torrentbox.com, and niteshdw.com ALL had exactly 10 unknown people helping to administer the respective sites. But, I couldn't be completely wrong!

HAHAHA, what a bias artical, lol.

I love America to death, but screw this law. The MPAA scumbags are idiots, they are trying to apply an old concept of "copy rights" to a modern standard, and that just wont work. As soon as Internet came around copyright went down the drain. There is nothing that the MPAA can do to stop it. They can sue whomever they want, they can scare who ever they want, but it wont stop. So they just need to back off and spend their money else where, like on the war aginst terror or somthing, lol.

They dont give you enough credit Nite, I mean you started a community, brought ppl together under the banner of Science Fiction and they brush you off like some common criminal, I know you are not, We all know you are not. So I wish ya luck and if you need anything let me know.

Nite, you aren't even living in Utah anymore, are you?

Frankly, I'd be embarressed as hell if I ever made it to such a large newspaper as that, under these circumstances.

My current domicile is 574 Daly Ave #1B Missoula, Montana 59801, just use Google Maps to find it.

This was only a joke. I do not, nor have I ever, lived or even been to Montana. I appologize for the misleading statement.

This was only a joke. I do not, nor have I ever, lived or even been to Montana. I appologize for the misleading statement.

lol.... and here i was about to send you a post-card from down-under :)

But i would love an address for John G. Malcolm, executive vice president and director of MPAA's Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations so i can send him a Post-Pack :)

HAHAHA, what a bias artical, lol.

I love America to death, but screw this law. The MPAA scumbags are idiots, they are trying to apply an old concept of "copy rights" to a modern standard, and that just wont work. As soon as Internet came around copyright went down the drain. There is nothing that the MPAA can do to stop it. They can sue whomever they want, they can scare who ever they want, but it wont stop. So they just need to back off and spend their money else where, like on the war aginst terror or somthing, lol.

Actually, Copyright law wasn't specifically mentioned as far as I could tell. It was more anti-piracy law...I didn't know we had a tabulated and set in stone law for this. Copyright law would keep you from selling a product that you didn't create as your own. Don't see how that would apply in this case. This is the US, Land of Lititgation, anyone can sue anybody for anything (so please don't sue me for this post).

Nite, do I have your permission to respond to this publically?

......The article is trying to imply that the only thing we are about is "first-run" shows, which is a bold-faced lie!!

:mad:

I didn't get that feeling at all. My question is will they be able to prove that things that were downloaded by people were not:

a. already owned by those people in another form

b. bought later by those people

c. not available where those people reside

If they can't prove that, it will be hard to get a financial award for lost profits.

Actually' date=' Copyright law wasn't specifically mentioned as far as I could tell. It was more anti-piracy law...I didn't know we had a tabulated and set in stone law for this. Copyright law would keep you from selling a product that you didn't create as your own. Don't see how that would apply in this case.[/quote']

Anti-piracy law is based on copyright law. If I own the rights to something, then you cannot legally make or distribute copies of it in any way without my permission to do so. Alternatively, if I agree to it, you could pay me a royalty, which would then permit you to make or distribute copies, based on your selling it and paying me a certain percentage of the sale price. Or, under certain circumstances, e.g., charitable or other purposes I decide are acceptable, I may grant permission to certain individuals or organizations to make and distribute copies for free or otherwise (e.g., the proceeds go to charity).

I didn't get that feeling at all. My question is will they be able to prove that things that were downloaded by people were not:

a. already owned by those people in another form

b. bought later by those people

c. not available where those people reside

If they can't prove that, it will be hard to get a financial award for lost profits.

Legally, it's not directly about lost profits, but ownership, i.e., copyright, the purpose of which is to protect the owner's rights, including the ability to profit from the sale of the product or to dispose of it as he/she wishes.

Also, it's not the downloader who is copying and distributing it; it's the uploader. Hence, they could go after the uploader for breaking copyright law. I think that's the basis for going after trackers: the argument would be that they are faciliating (acting as 'middle men') the illegal copying and distribution of copyrighted materials.

An analagous situation would be for a pawn broker to accept stolen goods and then resell them. It's not a perfect analogy, of course, because the tracker operator never actually has his/her hands on the property, but it could be argued that he/she is, in effect, knowingly acting to broker an illegal transaction. The tracker operators who are fighting the upcoming cases, however, would, no doubt, argue that this analogy does not apply at all to their situation.