To the stars? Or to the table?

ceedj

I was watching B5's TKO, and the question came up on whether humans should even bother with space, with all this fussing and fighting my friends. What do you think? Should we be building 8 gazillion Mars rovers or should we be working on ways to fence off the more annoying members of our species so that we can get on with NOT killing each other anymore?

I vote for fixing ourselves, but after reading Douglas Adams, I'm pretty leery of Thursdays lately.

I think we need to explore first. I still believe space flight will end up like Star Trek, or Farscape; we eventually either through our own means or something else, go to travel deep space beyond our solar system. Maybe even mean other lifeforms. Which will unite the people's of Earth, even if it takes some time (like Farscape did) but it will happen.

I mean granted the human race we have our problems. But I think alot of htings can be put aside when (yes when, I believe in it) we find out we are not the only lifeforms in the galaxy and our problems are probably miniscule compared to those of other potiental races.

Look at Trek right, more specifically Native Americans in the 24th century. In current times, sadly America has them isolated. Kept in small pockets on scarce land where we've driven them literally almost to extinction right. In the 24th century alot of them have colonized their own planets where no one will ever try to take them away from their homes or drive them away.

Imagine if we could find habitable planets. (Class M for a more familiar term). People who want liberation from their dictatorist government? Colonize a planet. I know quite a few million Chinese who would love to get our from under the thumb of their oppressive government.

Thats just one example of how we need to go on. We need to do more rovers, collect more data, explore MORE. If you ask me we should concentrate more on deep space travel. Build shuttles into ships that can spend weeks or months in space with fuel and food and air for a crew to go beyond our solar system.

It's humanitys last hope at peace really. "We seek, to better ourselves". We have to start somewhere.

There are folks out there (a little like me) who will take the opposite position from you every time, especially if it's not thier idea. I'm for exploration and finding room for all the babies that are coming, cause another trait of people is uncontrolled breeding.

I'm for exploration and finding room for all the babies that are coming' date=' cause another trait of people is uncontrolled breeding.[/quote']

No, it's not actually. For most of human existence, people actually spaced their children, because they were nomadic hunter gatherers, couldn't carry them around too easily and had fewer resources to support them. It wasn't until people settled, took up agriculture, and began to make war on one another that producing lots of kids became important. Living so closely together in large cities and towns with no sewage facilities also led to the spread of disease, which increased infant mortality. Hence, people had to have more children to ensure that some survived.

As societies shift from an agrarian existence, where human physical labour is important, to an industrial and information base where knowledge is the key, and health improves, the birth rate drops. This has already happened in developed countries, and is slowly spreading throughout the world. Knowing all their kids will probably survive, and given the demands of our modern world, most people prefer to have fewer children.

Well, here is what I believe:

In history, whenever a group was feeling persecuted, or needed a new beginning, they would head out to new territories, and start over. However, we've explored and settled over most of the planet. There just isn't much left to allow someone to start all over again.

We need to explore and settle space. Otherwise, what will happen is the overcrowding will cause war without end.

MOVED: This belongs in Modern Science

Not that I have ANY kind of issue with this, because I don't, but I'm curious: why? This is clearly more of a sociological discussion than scientific, modern or otherwise. But you're the boss, so what you says, goes. :)

Back on track, I've noticed a few responses that indicate we should go to space first. Ok, but what DO we do about all the nutjobs around here trying to control the world (Osama, GWB, B&B, etc)? How do we make that kind of progress with these unsavory souls in the way?

Well, Scaled Composites believes in it enough to be building a commercial vessel, and a spaceport to base it at. At first, it would be about $200000/ticket, for a few minutes of orbital time. But, there are enough people with this kind of money to help fund the next phase of space travel.

I was watching B5's TKO, and the question came up on whether humans should even bother with space, with all this fussing and fighting my friends. What do you think? Should we be building 8 gazillion Mars rovers or should we be working on ways to fence off the more annoying members of our species so that we can get on with NOT killing each other anymore?

I vote for fixing ourselves, but after reading Douglas Adams, I'm pretty leery of Thursdays lately.

i think space is the way forwards. mankind must have something to aim for and aspire to.

staying mired in our problems is ultimately self defeating.

if you want to move on, you must have somewhere to go!

....unless you can change human nature in the next hundred years (and that means every perosn on the planet except one (at the very least))

Well, it has been shown in history that when things get desperate, someone eventually starts exploring and settling new areas. But, there isn't anywhere left that is unclaimed. Even Antartica is claimed, as belonging to all nations.

But spaced is unclaimed.

I forsee a huge push to get out there and take our place.

Well, it has been shown in history that when things get desperate, someone eventually starts exploring and settling new areas. But, there isn't anywhere left that is unclaimed. Even Antartica is claimed, as belonging to all nations.

But spaced is unclaimed.

I forsee a huge push to get out there and take our place.

i heard somewhere that someone hase actually claimed space and was selling pieces of it off or something like that...any confermation???

I believe that once we are advanced enough to explore space, we're going to come up against a powerful race that's not going to like our attitude. They're going to come to Earth and blast it with a laser beam.

that selling should be the first bit to be aboli9shed if we really get out there eventually...

we can't let some monopolist moneyhugger lay out ground rules for exploration and settlement in space..

but the first issue is really, who's gonna get there first? as long as it's primitive(chemically propelled rockets), there always will be those working to get it done and the ones enjoying it.....im no communist, but as long as millions of people slave for the few whimsical rich,as long as money dictates progress (or rather defines progress for non-scientists,for the slob on the job),most people can only dream of it.....

think about it ...i don't think theres gonna be any way to get to explore space the way star trek does as long as we have pseudo-democratic,capitalist 'sects' (say, nations) bickering about irrelevant resources and values...you see if your kids think pokemon and 50cent is more fun than physics, we're one way or another pretty much toast..not regarding the half-a-brains of voters resulting out of this dilemma..

perhaps the only way to goto space and get rid of internal combustion cars is to force it upon mankind ,the latter probably doesn't take much more time to start WWIII.....

one could say the star trek timeline is kinda prophetic, personally i think roddenberry just a clever guy, gave a good estimate