Feeling Robbed

str82u

I had the same impression as a lot of folks who got into Surface, they announced that they had a season 2 coming and that they would wrap with a season finale, and if that's as far as it goes, then I picked the wrong show to back.

How did the other new shows turn out? I'm too pissed off about following this one to find another series to catch up on.

Invasion is still going, it's season isn't yet over. ABC seems to at the very be letting it finish this season. I think it'll get picked up for a season 2. I'll admit it was a slow building show, most of the good stuff didn't start happening till mid season. But it was worth the wait.

Surface is more of a coin toss. I don't think they've said "no" to continuing the show just yet, but at the same time they haven't greenlit season 2 just yet. The season 1 finale did not wrap anything up. All it did was include the hurricane/tsunami headed for the town, and the revealing that teenage dude (I suck at remembering names..) has powers just like Nim now.

But why feel robbed? I mean yea it sucks if a show gets axed early or at such a point but honestly, this is how network tv runs (even cable networks too). If the show isn't making money and isn't bringing in the ratings they desire, they often just get rid of it. Sometimes the network might cut them some slack and let them try again with another season but most times they just get cancelled. It sucks, it's sad but it happens.

Threshold, gone. Nightstalker (revised), gone. Firefly, gone. Milleniun, gone. Lone Gunman, gone. Hell if you look at the Sci Fi channels lineup, half of their shows are stuff that is in syndication or got cancelled (like Firefly for example).

It's just the way tv works :(

If you want to know how well TV shows fair...

Watch the first episode of Family Guy after it got brought back.

Peter spends about 2 minutes reeling off TV shows that - if cancelled - would allow Family Guy to come back.

Invasion is still going, it's season isn't yet over. ABC seems to at the very be letting it finish this season. I think it'll get picked up for a season 2. I'll admit it was a slow building show, most of the good stuff didn't start happening till mid season. But it was worth the wait.

Surface is more of a coin toss. I don't think they've said "no" to continuing the show just yet, but at the same time they haven't greenlit season 2 just yet. The season 1 finale did not wrap anything up. All it did was include the hurricane/tsunami headed for the town, and the revealing that teenage dude (I suck at remembering names..) has powers just like Nim now.

I agree about Invasion. It took a little time to get going, but once it did, it became quite interesting. Last I heard, it's future is still up in the air.

Same about Surface. It won't be announce until May whether or not it's coming back.

I hate that the networks are afraid to give anything that isn't an instant success half a chance. While not top ten by any means, both Invasion and Surface did ok rating-wise. I hope that we'll be treated to 2nd seasons of both, but I guess we should be happy they've hung around this long.

Judging by fireflyfans.net (they know their stuff when it comes to audiences and ratings) Surface was getting around a 5.2+ average on it's original Friday nights, when it moved to Mondays it dropped down to around 4.5ish. Now let's keep in mind 4.5 is quite good, if you look at professional wrestling, WWF's Raw which airs live Mondays at 9pm has stayed on the air for over ten years now, with ratings going as low as in the 3.0's to it's 5.0+ high days. So if a show can have staying power when it's easily in the low to mid 3.0's then Surface should be able to easily survive on 4.0+....

I think it's a money issue. Maybe advertisers are scared to sink in money to advertise their products on what they percieve as an "iffy" sci fi show that could plunge in ratings any week and end up canceled (thus costing them money).

The thing is, Raw is always full live. Same for the ppvs. I guess that's where they make most of their profit. Wrestling isn't going out of style anytime soon :p

Aside from PPV's, I don't see the bearing of something Live on tv compared to taped. You can take two shows of equal popularity, one can be Live the other not and both can get similar ratings. If anything Live shows or events cost more on the network cause they need people there to double check stuff, monitors for the censors etc (which is true for all Live shows not just Raw). But both types still get equal ratings.

Now maybe one type (not including PPV's) brings in more advertising money. If that is the case then that is the fault of the advertisers. If Coke and Pepsi wish to pay more money for a Live tv show to air it's ads during their comericals than a taped traditional show, nothing at all the audience can do about that.

Guest c4evap
Feeling Robbed, This Season's Sci-Fi

Robbed? Raped more like it. If it wasn't about some damn lizard then it was a bug or a bat or a zombie (or Bush - haha).

Reminds me of the song American Pie by Don McLean.

"...the day the scifi died..."

c4 :(

I was really starting to enjoy surface and threshold and didn`t really like invasion. I have since started watching invasion just because the isn`t any other scifi shows that I know about still running just now. So if anyone has any ideas on something good to watch.

I hear Sci-Fi's next film is going to be about a beetle that is almost a foot long.

It's not poisonous or deadly or anything. People just kind of get frightened.

It's called "The almost foot long beetle."

I'm on the edge of my seat!