Do you overclock?

sloany

Not sure if anyone is into overclocking on this site but I thought I would find out. If there is anyone who is good at it they could give advice to those who want to try it. The reason I am starting this thread on this site is that the people who post on this site are willing to help others unlike some of the sites where as soon as you ask a question you are labled a n00b and no one seams interested.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it, but what more can you get from a p2 350? Not much.. got about 400-480mhz out of it, but had to stop once I installed a HD controller card for a new HD. It didn't like being overclocked on the FSB over 100mhz, and locked the system on boot up.

Once I have everything of importance moved to my new computer I'm going to give it a shot on my old Athlon 1200. From what I've read you can overclock it to well over 1500 if you have sufficiant cooling. I don't have a water block for this system but I've built an air/air heat exchanger to install through the sidewall of the case. This is mostly just for experimental purposes. To be honest, there's no way I would try this on my primary system, but since I have the time, I'll give it a go on the old one. We'll see if it makes a significant differance in video conversion speeds. If it's not a remarkable improvement though, I'll reset it to stock. I'd like to get the improved performance, but I'm far too cheap to burn up perfectly good components for a 10% gain.

I have an Athlon 64 3200+(2.0 ghz) that I have overclocked up to 2.4 ghz (I believe that is the clock of the 3800 +). It does make a difference, but a lot of that is because without a memory divider, or another way of adjustment, it overclocks your ram a lot as well. I am using Corsair Dual Channel DDR for that. My mem overclock is from pc 3200 to pc 3800. It runs really stable on torture testing (prime95) as well.

B)

I have been overclocking my amd processors since I got my first k6 processor years ago and overclocked it from 350 to 500 and it has been quite happy to run at that speed. My current comp has a 2600xp athlon processor that I have overclocked to 2.2ghz and all I had to do was turn the fan up a bit. As for cooling I am using a thermal take volcano 12 with the ducting mod. I would recomend the ducting mod to anyone who can use one as it allowed me to turn my processor fan down and my processor still runs cold than before.

Overclocking is usefull only if you need extra performance in games like Doom3 or you have an old system. If you want to overclock you need 1.good cooling(you don't wnat to roast your CPU(GPU),cupper is best standard cooling(better than aluminium)and a big, fast fan 2.some advice ( http://www.tomshardware.com , or try to google a site) how to do it 3.the basic way to overclock is thru BIOS, the second with a program http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php 5.You do it at your own risk! Good luck :)

Overclocking is usefull only if you need extra performance in games like Doom3 or you have an old system. If you want to overclock you need 1.good cooling(you don't wnat to roast your CPU(GPU)' date='cupper is best standard cooling(better than aluminium)and a big, fast fan 2.some advice ( http://www.tomshardware.com , or try to google a site) how to do it 3.the basic way to overclock is thru BIOS, the second with a program http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php 5.You do it at your own risk! Good luck :)[/quote']

thanks for the info. i look forward to reading it!

Unfortunately my current CPU/mainboard combination does not allow me to overclock my CPU. Overclocking is as much a hobby to me as it is a quest to get the most out of the components of my computer.

If the card was on the isa or pci bus it may be down to the lack of a pci or isa bus lock.

Sloany, those old mainboard didn't have pci/agp bus locks. It would most likely have used a Intel BX chipset, so at 100 MHz FSB and higher, pci would be at 1/3 FSB and agp at 2/3. Most components on the pci bus would be able to handle up to about 40 MHz, but may cause damage in the long term.

For people wanting to learn more about overclocking, I recommend www.overclockers.com , but most PC tech forums will have a lot of people who can help you.

I once tried to overclock my old p2 400..... only those things are not the best to overclock... got it until 447.9 that's what i call a gain... :P but my motherboard wasn't to happy about it... as the fsb should not be over 100.... but it worked and it ran stable...

My router/file-server is a Pentium1 / 150 Mhz,

running overclocked with 166Mhz B)

(Hey, that are over 10% more power, you notice the difference)

It's located in the kitchen directly besides the drying, washed clohing (so temp is between 20 and 30 °C, humidity 70-100 %, not exactly a climate server-room :rolleyes: )

What shall i say, the current uptime is 45 days. (since i changed a harddisk), and the system is running stable, and without power interruptions or hardware failures, since over 1.5 Years.

It's overall age is nearly 8 Years. It has been overclocked after the first year.

thx for reading,

GoaBytes

(edit:)

PS: And I'm proud of this ancient tank!

The mean reason I started this post was to save people having to deal with some of the people of the dedicated sites as those who are good at it are sometimes quite nasty to n00bs when they ask questions. On my overclocking front I am planning to install a water cooling system into my machine to cool the cpu gpu and the northbridge and if I have some money left over maybe the hard disks. Then I should be able to push it alot more without having to suffer the noise made by the fan on my cpu cooler when at full speed.

On my overclocking front I am planning to install a water cooling system into my machine to cool the cpu gpu and the northbridge and if I have some money left over maybe the hard disks.

Running water through an electronic device sounds extremely dangerous!

:o :o :o

Actually liquid cooling is the way to go in top notch systems. I don't really have any cooling problems on mine' date=' but the thing I like about liquid cooling is the silence! No fans humming along whatsoever![/quote']

Hmmm........I'd figure you'd still need a fan to cool the return pipe down before the water goes back into the system.

.....Just lie a car radiator has a fan.

;)