ENT: New Trek Movie

VonHelton

According to Variety, Eric Genderson has been hired to write the eleventh Star Trek film currently in development. Genderson seems to be largely unknown, with no previous Hollywood credits, at least according to IMDB.

Variety repeated the other information previously released about the film; it's being developed by Trek Executive Producer Rick Berman with Jordan Kerner (Inspector Gadget, Snow Dogs) and studio executive Kerry McCluggage. The film will not include cast members from any of the five Star Trek tv series.

The Variety story also includes quotes from several sources on the upcoming "hiatus" in the Star Trek franchise. You can find it here:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117917840?categoryid=14&cs=1

What do you think? Is Paramount smart to go with an unknown to write the next Star Trek film?

:stare: :stare:

Everybody starts somewhere. A new writer brings fresh ideas and new blood to the franchise. As long as this Eric Genderson is a fan of star trek and not the almighty dollar, then all this should be a good thing.

A new movie with a fresh cast can also provide a starting point for the next series, without worrying too much about any excess baggage.

The dude's name is actually Erik Jendresen. You'll find some credits on IMdB, probably also with author search on Amazon books. He still seems like a nobody.

You can't trust Berman, Braga, &c. to do anything right. Even picking a writer. I hope they don't let Jonathan Frakes direct again.

Furthermore, I am sick of time travel on Trek. After all the pointless eps of Voyager & Enterprise where something happens in an alternate timeline which is eventually averted thus saving "our" timeline, I will throw feces at the movie screen like a goddamn ape if I have to deal with that in the next movie. Three sucky movies in a row is beyond the pale.

quite frankly I think makeing a Trek Movie without any original cast is both a bold and at the same time foolish endevour, why make a movie in a series of movies that had cast people we came to know and love, only to be replaced with complete unknowns, but on the other hand it will add a new scope to the series, finally seeing things from the perspectives of other members of starfleet, not just starfleet's finest, either way the movie will be good......it's Star Trek after all and anything with that in the name is bound to be good

• 3 weeks later...
Everybody starts somewhere. A new writer brings fresh ideas and new blood to the franchise. As long as this Eric Genderson is a fan of star trek and not the almighty dollar, then all this should be a good thing.

A new movie with a fresh cast can also provide a starting point for the next series, without worrying too much about any excess baggage.

Very well said! I completely agree with you!

BUT I must admit that member Yammichi makes a fine point as well...

Good, a fresh start; and we need a new trek movie anyay. We won't even have enterprise in a month or two :(. As long as it isn't:

A) A prequel

B) About time travel

C) Everyone/Earth saved by some legendary Captian

The last one happens all the time - What about the rest of the crew. In TOS it wasn't so bad, but in Voyager, TNG and enterprise it is all put down to the captain. DS9 wasn't so bad, Sisko wasn't so much of a "hero"

Having an entirely new cast is deffinitely ambitious. But I think that's what Trek needs more than anything right now. Someone who is willing to take a risk.

As long as the writers of the script RESPECT Trek, it should work out OK. Someone from the DS9 writing staff would be good. I don't know their names, but the writers behind eps like Chimera, The Seige of AR-558, Far Beyond the Stars, etc would make good choises. IMHO those were some of the best Trek ever done.

I'd be interested to see a movie dealing with the aftermath of the Dominion war, wether on DS9 or another ship. What I most deffinitely *DON'T* want to see (and WILL NOT go to) is an Enterprise movie.

So, yea, first post. Let the initiation commence :D

to a certain extend i've always see that ST movies, or even their series are too enclosed. the feeling i mean. u've watch SW rite? dont u feel like its more realistic, not too studio. and if the federation is so damn good, why is it always has to be enterprise? then, kirk or picard would say "We are the only ship with in range" after a while... too much coinsidence. things can become lame. its like rick had an idea struck "Hey! lets make a movie!" its funny cause i sometimes find certain episodes from the series more appealing if they were writen into a movie.

the romulan war sounds nice. it would also be even more interesting if we can have everybody from all of the 90s series TNG,DS9 and Voyer to be in one big, crisis, thriller, politics driven movie. complicated fun! something that is so complicated that it expands 3 episodes, and can be released consequtively one each year. that should get people to anticipate, buy books in the meantime, play games, i know, i've looked. i guess everybody has.... but its a good strategy. giving into account rick gets somebody good to write it.

my 2 cents...

peace... prosper... :cyclops:

Well having read all the comments above..

I just hope it's new & fresh + it must not tie in to any previous story line, The cast must all be unknowns with NO pre-concepts, An interesting carrot for the many fans of Star Trek, Even leading to a new series.

Lets hope then that this is for real & possibly a new begining.

I wouldn't hold my breath, it is being produced by Rick f*****g Berman, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes same way as Nemesis, straight to dvd and video rentals.

Berman says ppl are tiered if Star trek, it needs to rest, I say ppl are sick and tiered of Rick Berman, he needs to rest say for eternity and be gone for good from star trek universe.

:mad: :mad: :mad: