ENT: Picard Says Star Trek is Dead

VonHelton

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, Patrick Stewart was never a Star Trek fan and apparently, despite having worked on it for so many years and starting his career he is still not a Star Trek fan. He is an English actor, he likes that Shakespeare stuff. But he plays in movies with big budgets because he likes American dollars. We know Patrick will never appear on the screen as Picard again, so what does he care what happens to Star Trek?

I think Stewart is a fantastic actor.

However, I believe this letter may be taken out of context. The letter was sent in response to another letter, and yet we have never seen the first letter.

I believe the letter that Stewart is responding to was one asking for him to show his support to keep Enterprise on the air. In that context, it's clear the he sees his role in the franchise as over. I don't believe he means to say that Star Trek is dead, just that he has other things in his life now, and doesn't plan on giving public support to keep Enterprise on the air.

If you watch the extras on the TNG DVDs (which I have), you'll see that Stewart felt that Gene R. had a great vision of the future. I think he is proud of the type of future that Star Trek represents. He just isn't a part of that anymore.

The text of the letter never says "Star Trek is dead". He just says "It ended for me 10 years ago". Which is odd, because he made at least 2 movies within that 10 year time period.

I totally agree with nite, You cant diss Patrick a you have to admit he was one of the strongest actors to ever appear on star trek.

If he'd been not as strong character has he had been then maybe TNG would not of been sucessful so its abit unfair saying his opionon means diddley sqat

From what I understand' date=' Patrick Stewart was never a Star Trek fan and apparently, despite having worked on it for so many years and starting his career he is still not a Star Trek fan. He is an English actor, he likes that Shakespeare stuff. But he plays in movies with big budgets because he likes American dollars. We know Patrick will never appear on the screen as Picard again, so what does he care what happens to Star Trek?[/quote']

what a load of bollox...Patrick has been acting for years and years so to say that star trek lanched his career is bollox hes been in acting for years before star trek...remember dune??..please tell me what other "big budget" films he's been in??

There is no doubt that the success of The Next Generation was at least partly thanks to Patrick Stewart. However, he did say in that note that he feels that the franchise has run its course. I don't see how that could be seen in any context other than that he thinks Star Trek is dead. The first half of the sentence "Although I know it still has a large following," also seems to suggest that we fans should just move on and start watching reality shows or something. ;)

As I said before, Patrick Stewart isn't a fan so he probably doesn't watch Enterprise and doesn't care whether Star Trek will be on TV in the next ten years or ever again for that matter. Don't get me wrong, if he feels that way, well, that's his prerogative. ;)

X-men and x-men 2 for a start... I have to admit though- I sort of agree that Star Trek has been declining for several years. The last series of Voyager, the absolutely awful ST:Nemesis (rehash of Undiscovered Country anyone?) and the rather patchy enterprise...all of them demonstrate a need for new blood, a bigger representation of Earth besides the West and damnit less big, butch men running around!! In fact it's a crying shame that Enterprise has ended- From the first five episodes of Ent S4 Ive seen it would seem that Manny Cotto's effect has been incredible plus the addition of new writers. If only they'd let the new blood get into their stride...Anywho Stewart is perfectly right to voice his opinions and I'm sure quite a few people agree- Star Trek is good-but it could be phenomenal...

^_^ I'm now going to hide...

what a load of bollox...Patrick has been acting for years and years so to say that star trek lanched his career is bollox hes been in acting for years before star trek...remember dune??..please tell me what other "big budget" films he's been in??

If you can't see that The Next Generation was his big breakthrough, well, that's 'bollox'. Dune may be a cult classic, but it didn't do too well at the box office. After TNG, Stewart has starred in 4 Star Trek movies, two X-men movies (the third one is in he making), Conspiracy Theory and several relatively successful TV movies after famous novels and plays.

the absolutely awful ST:Nemesis (rehash of Undiscovered Country anyone?)

Nemesis was a copy of The Wrath of Kahn, although the plot from Undiscovered Country was copied in several different Treks (the Enterprise one being the most blatant). Otherwise I completely agree with you. ;)

damnit i'd forgotten about wrath of khan...although the "peace with the Romulans" bit no matter how false was *very* Undiscovered Country.... :( I was really hoping that Nemesis would be good...but Lord of the Rings kicks its ar*e very very hard... :p

Patrick Stewart played one of the best characters in trek - but he did that because he was an outsider, he wasn't a fanboy or truly a trekkie. He played the role as it was written, with a certain refinement you expected from the TNG era.

His time ended with the end of First Contact (everything bar Riker & Troi was tied up). He knows this. He's a good actor because he knows when to walk away.

In light of the fact that he did make star trek movies and his association with star Trek did not end "10 years ago" which would be 1995, HOW DO WE NOW THIS LETTER IS AUTHENTIC and not just fabricated piece of paper?

I could very well produce another one saying just the opposite and sign his name at the end just like that.. scan it and show it to everyone. Is it true? You make your choice but I tend to take things with a grain of salt..

Did anyone else notice that this letter appears to be dated nearly 8 months in the future? Or I suppose he could be using the funny European method of writing dates in the form of

DD/MM/YY, but since he lives in the states Im sure that something as insignificant as our dating system would have rubbed off on him by now.

In light of the fact that he did make star trek movies and his association with star Trek did not end "10 years ago" which would be 1995, HOW DO WE NOW THIS LETTER IS AUTHENTIC and not just fabricated piece of paper?

I could very well produce another one saying just the opposite and sign his name at the end just like that.. scan it and show it to everyone. Is it true? You make your choice but I tend to take things with a grain of salt..

That's a possibility, but the autograph looks pretty genuine and the note was obviously written by the same person that signed it. Why would someone create such an elaborate scheme to make Patrick Stewart look bad? Who would benefit from it?

That's a possibility, but the autograph looks pretty genuine and the note was obviously written by the same person that signed it. Why would someone create such an elaborate scheme to make Patrick Stewart look bad? Who would benefit from it?

B&B......