The Runaway Bride

Fenriswolf

I thought that BBC had screwed up at the beginning - interesting how they started the Christmas ep exactly the same as last years - with the shot of earth and the moon - I hope that they dont use that for every Christmas special.

Ever thought that they where just saving money, actually our TV license fee which the bbc tends to waste alot normally lol

The license fee is - in real terms - dropping, apparently.

They probably reused the same shot - don't hate them, the number of times Paramount used the Wrath of Khan explosion is INNUMERABLE - or about eight.

Catherine Tate is what passes for "funny" in the UK, if you'd been subjected to the irritation of her characters - and parodies thereof - you'd likely have fond that she grated a great deal more.

I'll agree with the sonic screwdriver - it changed from useful item to god wand, next thing you know, it'll be making jam sandwiches. Just lazy scripting, I imagine...

That shot of the Earth is what they've used at the beginning of every new series (which is what the specials basically are: a preview of what's to come this year). At this point they seem like they're meant to be an injoke now rather than a cost cutting device.

Catherine Tate is a British comedian - with her own shown, namely the Catherine Tate Show- a series of short sketches mostly, not too dissimilar from The Fast Show or Harry Enfield - just of the 00's generation....(god I cant wait till we get to the 20's - at least it will sound decent).

As for license fee's dropping over here - that will be the day. At one point it wasn't supposed to go above £116.

The BBC should scrap its fee's in favour of charging a decent price for shows that people could download. That way my money doesn't fund the likes of EastEnders.

Catherine Tate, for all those not aware of her, is a new-ish British award winning comedian, but Ive never been a big fan of her show, i found some of her characters annoying and unfunny, perhaps 20 years ago Id have found it funny as i did with such acts as Tracy Ullman, The Young Ones etc, but today, along with Little Britain can just be a little obnoxious.

But as far as playing The Runaway Bride she done a good job (I still wish theyd have introduced Martha), almost slipped into an annoying character when she first entered the TARDIS but spared me from wanting to smack her, although i still wish the Doctor had hit her back!

Did we REALLY need three explanations of who Tate is?

I suppose they didn't want to introduce Martha because that would have detracted from Tate (and that would have been SOOOO tragic) and obviously the fact they seem to be making the Christmas specials wholly self-contained stories - more or less.

Also - don't forget the TARDIS's new ability, snow generator.

I suppose they didn't want to introduce Martha because that would have detracted from Tate (and that would have been SOOOO tragic) and obviously the fact they seem to be making the Christmas specials wholly self-contained stories - more or less.

Introducing Martha immediately after the Doctor loses Rose would be pretty crass, wouldn't it? He needed an episode between companions in which to mourn. And yes, he invited Tate to join him, but the Doctor is a genius, and to be blunt, Tate's character wasn't. He was most likely expecting her to say no to his offer.

I think such a ploy would be a bit beneath The Doctor, most likely he was just on the rebound and yes, he needed an episode of action to stop him mopin' around.

Looks like he's going to be a bit haughty with Martha though - not looking forward to a lot of angst, Tennent is already pretty close to being an emo... if we see him posting on myspace, it's all over.

I love how the Tardis can travel through time, fly through space, withstand orbiting super novas, withstand most kinds of offensives (rockets, Dalek lasers, etc) but flying in and out of moving car traffic to catch a taxi makes it damn near break down? Fantastic ;p

It was a good episode. I liked it. Last years was better imho, I guess cause I still miss Rose by the Doctor's side. The previews for season 29 look great, but it will take time for some of us to warm up to Martha.

I was also sadden to find no nude pictures of Catherine Tate online ;p

I think such a ploy would be a bit beneath The Doctor, most likely he was just on the rebound and yes, he needed an episode of action to stop him mopin' around.

Looks like he's going to be a bit haughty with Martha though - not looking forward to a lot of angst, Tennent is already pretty close to being an emo... if we see him posting on myspace, it's all over.

Everybody's on myspace nowadays. It's the 21st Century: Get with the program!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=9751685

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=71161035

That's probably the tip of the iceberg.

It's like Satan or any other name...people everywhere will latch onto it, forums and myspace will be full of it.

Elf Only Inn: the only guy to typo the Lord of Darkness, became the Lord of Dorkness.

*snicker*

So it's bound to be the same with the Doctor, or Doctor Who, heck some of the Dr. Who forums out there are crawlin' with Regenerations old and new.

No thread to comment on about this so i created a new thread. I liked the runaway bride, it had some funny moments in it and the special fx was top i would give the episode 8/10 the arachnoids (think they was called that) were great is always good to see evil with a sense of humour lol this is probably why i enjoyed love and monsters i think.

Mrthumps edit - Merged with already existing thread. Remember to always check for existing threads before making your own.

• 2 weeks later...

As a christmas special, I liked it. Rose was gone, so it wouldn't simply be an episode set at christmas, and gave the opportunity to have a non-assistant in the supporting role. CT played the character quite well (I kept expecting lines of "am i bovvered", but luckily this was resisted).

I think we've seen the tardis fly through the air before (no I don't mean last christmas's crash landing). The poor bride, what a dialemma stay in the taxi with the crazy robot driver, or jump into the flying policebox with the crazy man. A really enjoyable stand alone plot. The robot santas being used again was a nice link, and not involving Martha yet means the full series can handle that correctly without needing to reference the christmas special