Favorite car

wahaha

Cluesless abt Australian cars. All I know is the "new" pontiac GTO has the body of some Aus car, but the engine is from GM, 5.7L uninovative gas guzzler. Ya the Aus version runs 60mph at 1,500 rpm, but it's not a great platform. I noticed another Aus car pic posted in this thread, but it had a FORD engine in it?

I even noticed it has rear parking sensors, like my Audi. Ahh.. all the conveniences people in the US never get unless they buy German, or a minivan lol.

I've got twin turbos from a 2.7L, and don't know if I'll ever upgrade them, but it would be nice to have over 400HP and get a run to 60 in less than 5 seconds before the engine melts. It's just so funny my car is so fast even with a smaller engine. Course turbos give it so much torque at 1,800 rpm.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cluesless abt Australian cars. All I know is the "new" pontiac GTO has the body of some Aus car' date=' but the engine is from GM, 5.7L uninovative gas guzzler. [/quote']

Yep the Pontiac is a Holden Monaro, which came out with the 5.7L engine here. Holden is actually General Motors Holden.

Have you actually driven one? There's a big difference in performance from the two from what I saw. There's no manual tran for the US version, and the Aus version has a lower cruising RPM. Even with that, I think both do 60 in 6 seconds.

I saw one on the freeway near detroit once coming up behind me. I thought it was a test car or sth since they were new and I never saw one before. I was on the fence whether to crush the gas pedal to waste it, but didn't think it was worth it lol, and I had other people in my car.

They're really not selling well over here. Esp now with gas prices. And due to the fact most people think they're ugly and have the usual GM plastic interior. I can never go back to anything less than an Audi interior. The 2002 VW Passat I had was close, but the extra price shows a clear difference between the A and its brother VW.

As for FORD. The crown vic is made in Canada if I remember. But I think most canadians buy japanese.

Have you actually driven one?

You'd never catch me in one even if my life depended on it and I agree they are an ugly car, I'm a Ford girl through and through. They didn't do as well here as Holden hoped they would, especially when Ford brought out the BA and then the BA GT & GT-P. The Falcons have out sold the Commodores for a few years in a row now and I don't really see it changing as Ford have just announced that their new BF Falcon will have a six-speed auto.

But the question is, who designed the GTO/holden monaro? Was it done by some GM engineer or an Australian company?

The styling is what killed it over here. But personally, I'd never drive a car that looks like a brick, like the old GTO was. It makes me sick with its inefficient un-aerodynamic design. I like sleek looking cars that can move through the wind.

Hasn't the world gotten tired of GMs boring engines yet? The 350ci 5.7 is sooooo old and past its' usefulness. They haven't invented anything new, and are usually the last people to implement advances in tech and safety that the Germans pioneered and were the first to use. Not to mention all their juicy engine choices hehe. I've seen people put the Audi 2.7 twin turbo into VW passat wagons. But it kind of looses it's efficiency since they can't mate the AWD with it like the Audi. It's only now that they are starting to recognize and add the functionality of AWD to US cars. They just don't have a clue.

I'm not sure who had the final say on the design, but the Monaro looks exactly the same as the Pontiac body wise. I would guess it was an Australian design because it's pretty much just a coupe version of the Commodore, which was not very interesting either.

At least you didn't buy a GM or ford truck. I'm sure you'll get better gas mileage also. If I had to buy one though, I'd go for the Porsche Cayenne with the 450HP twin turbo V8, even though it's not really a truck lol, or an Audi Allroad 300HP 4.2 V8. I just can't stand anything other than an Audi vehicle interior. US and Japanese interiors are too plastic(glued on headliner storage bins) ,flimsy and don't have enough safety features for me. But for a real truck I'd go for the Nissan Titan with 305HP and navigation.

I'd rather push my Audi than drive a GM/ford.

No surprise about the recalls. They always have problems with their cars blowing up or catching on fire. Bunch of bozo engineers trying to be the first to market with boring cars.

As soon as the VW passat came out, everyone was trying to copy the design including Honda, and they admitted it! Now the new ford car looks like an Audi.

Now THIS is what everyone should be driving! I'm not sure how fast it goes, maybe 65 but it's a sweet ride. It lowers when you go faster and raises when you slow down for maneuvering. Toyota i-unit. I found pics of it a while ago of the interior, but lost them. It has some LCD console for displaying speed and stuff, and uses 2 joysticks for driving. The website shows a newer model and more info on it, but it doesn't look as nice as the older version. http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/1203_1e.html

toyoPM01.jpg

toyoPM03.jpg

6685704157179014.JPG?0.19234797106334878

1387385637448262.JPG?0.8457306312872892

toyoPM05.jpg

toyota-pm11.jpg

toyota-pm2.jpg

toyota.pm.driver.500.jpg

Get's 240hp out of a 2 litre engine' date=' rev's upto 9000rpm, rear wheel drive[/quote']

Don't you have to rev it to 9000 though to get that power? Mine kicks you in the butt at 1,850 rmp through 3,000.

I was test driving an Audi at a dealer that had a used s2000, and the salesguy with me said everyone was coming in and test driving it (joy riding), so they had to stop and only let older more serious buyers look at it because it was so popular.

I never noticed it though since I don't buy anything less than AWD for winter here, and rain driving. I just LOVE the way the car spins on its center when you slam on the gas to do a U-turn from a dead stop in the snow! There is almost no tail spin hehe. Audi pioneered AWD and only now are others copying them.. I still say a car without AWD is NOT a true sports car.

Seriously, why do you feel the need to keep spouting that 'Germans make the best cars in the world ever'? It's simply not true. British-built cars are way up there - try this:

mantisgt2.jpg

Marcos Mantis GT. British concept, design and build. Supercharged V8. 506 bhp @ 5800 rpm. 0-60 mph: 3.7 sec. Top Speed: 179 mph. And that's the ROAD VERSION.

Currently I drive classics as a general rule - I own one of 100 Vauxhall 'Droop Snoot' Firenzas:

snoot.jpg

Not much in terms of power (0-60 in about 7.5 seconds, top speed about 135mph) but for a 1975 classic, it's fantastic to drive.

Seriously' date=' why do you feel the need to keep spouting that 'Germans make the best cars in the world ever'? It's simply not true.[/quote']

I didn't say they're the best in the world, just that they're the best sports performance cars. Except for the McLaren F1, which is powered by a BMW v12, no car in my mind beats German engineering. They were the first to build a car and they continue to lead the field in innovation. They're the FIRST to implement technology. And why AWD hasn't caught on with every other car maker, that's just a mystery.

I consider other cars like Japanese once in a while, but no way would I ever own an American or British car. Even the guys at TOP GEAR (the british equivalent to Car and Driver) prefer foreign cars like Ferrari / Audi / BMW to their own. The most famous of the British brands aren't even owned by you anymore, which says a lot. You just have to face the fact that Germany has an Autobahn for a reason.. because their cars can handle sustained speeds of 155 - 200+ MPH. They were built for that crucible. My car without the limiter can go 170-180, and even at 130 it feels like 65.

I can only talk about what I have driven, so I don't say anything bad about the handling of true British cars. But just from the standpoint of interior, mechanical, and engine design, they're lacking. And not even the US brands that bought them can turn them back into money makers.

Err, I prefer the bus, less congestion, less pollution, cheaper. Sold my car last year, never going to get another. I live in a city centre so a car is virtually useless to me, nowhere to park it, all shops in walking distance, and a frequent bus service. Ditch the car I say, make public transport virtually free, subsidised by our taxes and enjoy the fact you are doing your bit to save this fragile planet. After all, its the only one we have got. The Asgard wont save us! Although, saying that, some people believe that oil is not a by product of millions of years of decaying organic matter, but a natuaral process which the planet produces, like our mucas, sort of. But still it does pollute. I used to drive several miles to work to see other car drivers sitting alone in their cars taking up space and oxygen. Take them out of their cars and put them on a bus I say.