New Trek?

x5315

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a bit like a B5 rip-off,... again. :D

I wonder why they allways want to write about war? Is there nothing else interesting to do in the scifi universe, war here, war there,.... There must be other themes to exploit?

A whole series revolving around a war, is for me personally, not what I'm looking for... Especially in Star Trek. btw. did I mention I watched the first ep of BSG 1978 just the other day? (I finally know now where that friggin jumpin mechanical dog Hilander72 used to have as an avatar came from ;D )

Sounds a bit like a B5 rip-off,... again. :D

I wonder why they allways want to write about war? Is there nothing else interesting to do in the scifi universe, war here, war there,.... There must be other themes to exploit?

A whole series revolving around a war, is for me personally, not what I'm looking for... Especially in Star Trek. btw. did I mention I watched the first ep of BSG 1978 just the other day? (I finally know now where that friggin jumpin mechanical dog Hilander72 used to have as an avatar came from ;D )

Oh you mean his dagit lol[br]Posted on: April 14, 2007, 12:43:59 pm

B5 or DS9 sounds like...best place for trek is re-runs and leaving it say 10 years then try and bring it back, if they tried it now it would go the same way as enterprise....we all like star trek but whats the point in doing a show for the sake of just keeping it on the TV!!

Does this have any a realistic chance? Or is it just some guys idea?

Because we all have good ideas for new Trek series, and a series set in a tax office on Betazed could be good if itwas well written.

Sounds totally awesome...............I love the USS Cardinal idea.

They should make it........NOW, or at least a pilot episode to be shown at some sort of fan fest. I hope it continues where Voyager left off and introduces new alien species in the crew...........perhaps some of those introduced in TNG. Exploring their backgrounds would make interesting episodes.

This is fantastic news. the point of this show is to give us Trekies meaning in life.........we are really bored at the moment. I`m so bored I`m even watching the new Battlestar.....can you believe that?

I can imagine myself now watching the first episode...........heh look theres Quark.......some space 'scams' for him would make great episodes too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for a new Trek series, but please don't call it Cardinal! That's the stupidest name I've ever heard. :o Ah well, maybe it'll grow on me.

Does anyone remember the time ship episodes from Voyager? That would've been a great sixth series. I suspect those episodes WERE groundwork for the next series but alot of Trekkies for some dumb reason complained about ST going further and further into the future with each series. So those complaints caused ENT. I hope you guys are happy. Star Trek: Relativity might be in its 7th season by now if it weren't for you guys. :(

Don't get me wrong, I to wanted to bridge the gap between now and TOS but I don't think you needed a whole series to do it. A movie or 2 would suffice. First Contact was a good start.

It'll never happen. Well, Cardinal won't... it's just too... unTrek like.

Basically, you'd have the fanboys going "I want 7 of 9! I want to see a new species every week!" etc. and all the people that struggle with a plot that isn't resolve in 45 (more like 40 these days) minutes.

Don't get me wrong - it sounds like a good idea but I just don't see it panning out.

Personally i dont like the idea of planning out all the seasons, generally when i write i like the story to unravel as it does, i know he might find it easier using a rough template for each season but imo that would confine the stories that could be written and grab half the potential you could get out of it away to the void of constraint.

Hmmm Trek is/was too huge for only one person to sit done and write a whole new show on, i've personally read better fanfic based in the trek universe, but hey you never know it could be awesome....just dont go to their FREEWEBS (yes i did that on purpose) website, well yeah do that, you can email the creator to get 2 sample scripts, im not. I dont like the premise kinda DS9/B5/BSG/VOY all in a jumbled mess.

I've said my peace im off to bed

I'm fairly good at the old "making it up as we go along" but I think that the hodge podge of DS9 and BSG shows that if you're going to make an attempt at some kind of overarching story, you really ought to know where you're going. BSG has clearly suffered from a lack of planning in both seasons 2 and 3... there's kind of that barren wasteland between the midseason finale and the finale, where the show seems to lose focus and kind of... become aimless.

And of course, with DS9 it was often hard to take the war seriously when we had the constant interruptions for "Oh, let's get to know Ezri Dax!" or "Time to have 5 holodeck episodes!"

Personally, I think the benefits of a preplanned story outweigh those of an on the hoof one... JMS did a pretty good job with B5, so - you can't say it hasn't been done.

Stories made up as they go along are like being lied to by annoying drunk strangers.

Then again, they do more closely resemble real life in a kind of not remotely resembling real life kind of way, as I find out in early spring that I am actually a genetically engineered alien who has been sectretely working for the Chinese all my life and that my wife is actually my sister, and then it was as if everything got frozen in time until early September, when I will weigh slightly more and have slightly shorter hair, with nothing to satisfy me in the mean time except vauge cycling recollections of previous events.

Stories made up as they go along are like being lied to by annoying drunk strangers.

Then again, they do more closely resemble real life in a kind of not remotely resembling real life kind of way, as I find out in early spring that I am actually a genetically engineered alien who has been sectretely working for the Chinese all my life and that my wife is actually my sister, and then it was as if everything got frozen in time until early September, when I will weigh slightly more and have slightly shorter hair, with nothing to satisfy me in the mean time except vauge cycling recollections of previous events.

ohh.... I'm sorry to hear that... Is it curable?

Oh you mean his dagit lol[br]Posted on: April 14, 2007, 12:43:59 pm

B5 or DS9 sounds like...best place for trek is re-runs and leaving it say 10 years then try and bring it back, if they tried it now it would go the same way as enterprise....we all like star trek but whats the point in doing a show for the sake of just keeping it on the TV!!

I concor. Star Trek needs to be put to bed for at least a decade before they try again. Or it's going to be failur after afailure.