Religion

wahaha

I class myself as a student of Buddism and was raised as Church of England. I don't really think it matters what your beliefs are as long as they do not purposely harm.

Buddist follow the Eightfold path, that is right view, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. It to me is more a way of life and does not let you handover responsibilty unlike other religions.

This is more in keeping with star trek's way of thinking than with any others.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - I didn't feel like logging on most of the day 'cause I thought I'd probably been to harsh In commenting daffydk's post...

And now it's turned into a debate on morality - ...I feel a little embaressed!

But for arguing my viewpoint in absentia I'd say zerotop, Andreas, and elderbear do a better job than I would've!

:D

(and yeah, we have no blushing emoticon!)

SNIP

As I said a while back.. Rejecting God is a dangerous path since they are really defending NOTHING (no God) and yet if by any chance they are wrong, they are setting themselve up for a surprise. Whilei people who simply believe in God dont have anything to Lose if there is Nothing.

You're making belief sound as an insurance system.

Personally I find that immoral - you can call me names and insult my mother and it does nothing but tickle my funny bone, but this ... bet hedging is a wee bit on the coward's side.

And yes, atheists can have a strong moral sense - since we don't have to abide out of fear of a god/punishment.

I dont think I made it clear enough. I should have re-iterated exactly what I had said in my earlier post. Because no one is going to go and read way back in the thread. Even if it was me in your place I would not go back and read somone's old post 10-15 pages ago.

What I had said was, the idea of 'insurance' should NOT be used as a reason to believe since its cheating. People should believe out of their heart and only after true realization.

What I merely meant was that people who reject God should not be so adamant about it since the possibility always exist.

And thats what gene Rodenberry thought which, as I mentioned, is reflected in star trek.

You see a true scientist would not reject something for which they dont have enough evidence. When scientists do experiments for instance, they always leave the possibility open for the alternative. Read any peer reviewed journal article and you will see what I mean.

Wow - I didn't feel like logging on most of the day 'cause I thought I'd probably been to harsh In commenting daffydk's post...

NO you werent harsh, you actualy pointed out a good part that people who claim believe should never do so becuase of 'insurance'. That fact maybe a consequence of believe but should NOT be the reason for beliefe becuase it is not geniune.

Like most people would stop at a stop sign becuase you are afraid of a police ticketing you. In reality, people should stop at a stop sign becuase its a safe practice for other people and themselves.

Also, Nite, many atheists do believe in a greater good - a good that is greater than their own immediate self-interests. The ironic thing is, this belief in a greater good is one that a number of theologians have referred to as "inner grace," "the call of the Holy Spirit," or even "the Hound of Heaven."

Indeed It is ironic Elderbear, the "greater good" is refered to by most of those who believe in God as "God".

And the fact that they 'believe' in something is also curious since they must have some sort of faith to believe.

Thats why I was compelled to write my post when I read Mark's "why atheism" where he goes in length trying to defy those who put faith in something he calls "unscientific".

Thats why I was compelled to write my post when I read Mark's "why atheism" where he goes in length trying to defy those who put faith in something he calls "unscientific".

Science is a useful tool for looking at the world and learning more. It's a very effective approach - within its domain. But science has its limits - and the belief system it is based on my not be "scientific," just useful.

Personally, I've got a number of different ways of slicing the universe. Integrating what I learn from a scientific perspective with the experiences I've had, say from a perspective of faith leads to a growing awareness and appreciation of both.

Oma, thanks for the confidence although I wouldn't doubt myself if I were you; I'm positive that you're easily as capable as anyone (by their own whim) in here since you're a THINKING person. To THINK is highly underrated.

So never doubt yourself when it comes to that (remember, thinking and believing CREATES one's current reality - if you tell yourself you cannot, then you won't and likewise the other way around of course)

Daffydk: Yes I agree, it's sort of "cheating" hoping to believe just to have an "insurance" if case Christianity happens to be the ultimate truth once one's death is due (which I find highly doubtful) and you'll either get to meet the guy with the beard sitting on a high cloud or... end up in the opposite direction.

No, true faith should be anchored in self, trusting oneself's guidance and morals, experiences and ability to make a conscious choice - not in order to "please" whatever entity there might be - seems to me sort of like just saying yes to the Emperors (or kings) of old just in order to NOT be decapitated although it's totaly against what one really thinks.

This also concurs with Elderbear's proposition as it is based in self and whatever seems/feels/is reasonable for oneself both in scientific regard and emotionally, by experience and spiritual / mental.

Tolerance is what will bring us all together. As long as people don't use their faith to justify commiting crimes.

quote: Tolerance is seen as a more widely acceptable term than "acceptance" and particularly "respect," where the application to controversial parties is concerned. Tolerance implies both the ability to punish and the conscious decision not to. It is usually applied to non-violent, consensual behavior, often involving religion, sex, or politics. It rarely permits violent behavior. End of quote.

Tolerance is such a horrible word. I know the above is not what you meant but it is what you've said.

I tried to include the popular religions that I found listed on 1 website, but the forum only lets you list 7 I think.

I try to keep an open mind since having my experiences, but Christianity isn't one of them. It's too harsh for me.

And your religion is ?

• 1 month later...

LOL! I'd join the Jedi group instantly! I'd apply for Jedi Consular (Emperor and Yoda followed this particular branch)

Hm however I do already feel strong enough without any "support" group..ah heck with it - I'll just learn to control the Force on my own and anyone opposing me..well prepare to be FRIED (Force Lightning)!!!!!!

On a personal note, I think I'll get myself one of those lighsaber-scythes..hehe..*

Guest c4evap

I, like George Carlin, believe that when you die...your soul goes to a garage in Buffalo.

c4 :p

Atheist through and through! However I am interested in religious texts in the context of them being ancient scriptures, but there are often area's of contradiction and gross innaccuracy even in the bible which does nothing to inspire any faith in me at all...

I tend to lean more towards String theory (i.e. Nature) as the creator of the universe.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking to the stars"

-- Oscar Wilde

I believe that the creation of the universe was the creator of the universe ^_^ ... and that's not really the tautology it may resemble.

*sigh* Sometimes I really dislike english... 'Creation', 'Formation', 'Making'... all imply a creator, a former, a maker... other than 'evolution' (which only applies to gradual selection), there's no simple word for spontaneous formation without implying someone or something did the forming ;p...

'Spontaneous generation by random events and chance' gets pretty darned cumbersome -_-'

You guys will accept Jedi as a religion, eh?

[X] Jedi

And there we go.

In one nation, the census results had a couple % of people with the Jedi religion...

It was England, it started on the internet, someone discovered that if a certain percentage of the population chose a minority/new religion it sort of became official

so naturally when the next census came around all of the piss takers put down Jedi :p

Genealogists in the future are going to need a foot note in a few hundred years I imagine, to understand what the hell a Jedi is and why great great...grandad was one