Are polls a waste of web space?

tisjusme

I have come to the conclusion that 99% of the polls on forums are useless. Everyone has the option to write reply's anyhow.

Most of the polls lately seem to be boarderlining insanity.

Are Polls worth the web space?

No, the polls are not a waste of webspace(except for the duplicates). If nothing else, i like the debates and difference of opinions that they spark. Sometimes the results of the polls are not what i would expect either.

Yes, it is true that people can write their own reply, hey, I am doing that right now! ;) But seriously, you will usually notice a lot more poll results then replies. One major thing is that it almost seems a waste to post saying "I agree" or "no".

If you do have something to add the method we use now works rather well, and for those who have little to say/add they can just answer the poll. Maybe I should have just done that, eh?

But anyway, polls don't seem to hurt anything. This works fine.

polls are a godd summary of your thoughts and opinions. also a good way of finding out how popular things are at a glance.

i think polls are fun

hust this morning iwas thinkin of doin one or two polls

(1) what is your fave number - giving a list of options say 1-100

(2) whats your fave letter - listing all 26 in the english alphabet and of course some from the greek.

whadya think? :p

When I started doing my encodes of Enterprise, I went with the 175mb because users wanted something 'in the middle' (I was originally doing 115mb encodes). Now, I use the polls a lot to get the opinions of the users. I want this site to be user driven, not shoved down your throats (like all those torrent sites that make the ads more important than the torrents: they are clearly out there for themselves to make a buck).

Anyway, I value user input. I make a lot of decisions based on results from polls (such as the quality of the Extras encodes for TNG, and whether to do DS9 or Voyager after TNG).

Some polls are good, some polls are bad. It's as simple as that and we'll just have to live with it. Banning all polls is not a good idea because some polls hold really usefull information. Moderating which polls are allowed and which are not is difficult because sometimes a lot of people will not agree with the decision. So I guess it's best to just allow all polls and let the members decide whether or not they like the poll.

I have come to the conclusion that 99% of the polls on forums are useless. Everyone has the option to write reply's anyhow.

My feeling is, if the poll, is described properly as to what it's real meaning and purpose is, like you did above, they are fine.

It is the polls that are not clearly defined, nor have well thought out user choices, that are useless, in my opinion.

Many of the polls I have seen around here, make absolutely no english sense at all, and are pointless.

EDIT:

I just started a new poll...

http://tracker.thompson-web.org/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=2326

i think polls are fun

(2) whats your fave letter - listing all 26 in the english alphabet and of course some from the greek.

Errrr. I think those are examples of poindgent, but probably really, worthless polls, tho they have some merit.

Plz see my latest poll for an example of one that is very clearly well defined....

I like polls - even when you are not in the mood to type a post a poll is something we all can all find the time to click an answer in. And when you feel that you've 'done something' you might feel like posting too.

Really, how many of you 'polled' before you posted the first time you were ever in a forum? You could say to me polls are a kind of social function, something we can all be part of. Sounds fuck'ed up, I know...

Also, I like fun polls!:D

(and to those who don't know it yet - Ten Forward isn't restricted to sci-fi only)

Only poles that are put up for nothing. LIKE THIS ONE

i think polls are fun

Errrr. I think those are examples of poindgent, but probably really, worthless polls, tho they have some merit.

Plz see my latest poll for an example of one that is very clearly well defined....

wow, you took that seriously?

jesus man it was humour ;)