Gay Trek.

Tolver

Actually i am one of the only truely oppressed minorities left in the western world! I am not ashamed, I state it with pride! I am a SMOKER!!!

Me too!!! <>

Me three!

c4 B)

I just GOTTA love the smoking doctor in BattleStar Galatica, although I am kinda fond of the doctors in Woody Allan's 'Sleeper', 'smoking is the healthiest thing for you, now make sure that you get the smoke deep in your lungs'.

When 'WE' quit smoking I switched to menthol in orger to keep smoking cause he hates them and wont touch them.

Tolver.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest c4evap

Actually i am one of the only truely oppressed minorities left in the western world! I am not ashamed, I state it with pride! I am a SMOKER!!!

Me too!!! <>

Me three!

c4 B)

I just GOTTA love the smoking doctor in BattleStar Galatica, although I am kinda fond of the doctors in Woody Allan's 'Sleeper', 'smoking is the healthiest thing for you, now make sure that you get the smoke deep in your lungs'.

When 'WE' quit smoking I switched to menthol in orger to keep smoking cause he hates them and wont touch them.

Tolver.

I know I shouldn't smoke. Unhealthy and all that. Hooked. But, I figure it this way...when I'm on my death bed and the doctor tells me I have to give something up or die...I can always quit then...

:p :p :p

c4 B)

But the UK has some strict and virulent anti-smoking bias, now, too.

I know some parts of the country have supposed to have become "ciggist". I can't remember where really, but it's been on the news for people being fined drop dropping cigarette buds and all (but not litter strangely enough, they don't seem to enforce that), and that some cities are trying to entirely ban smoking in town centers, but, where I live, for the most part, no one seems to give a crap.

I can understand that they're trying to do it to discourage smoking (will it work, prob not), it just get's me how paranoid some people are - and usually old people, who aren't even downwind of a smoker waft their hands infront of thei faces and glare.

Guest c4evap
Why aren't there any comedic, 19th century writers who smoke cigars in Star Trek?

Apart from Sam Clemens

Gawd only knows. Hey, I see you're fairly new here. If no one has said it yet...

WELCOME!

c4 B)

Kind of back on topic. lol' date=' Worf married a Joined trill which apart from being kind of like 3 in a bed involves 3 diffent species! the last time i looked at statutes sex with other species was called bestiality which kinda trumps homosexuality in the deviancy stakes :p so i reckon star trek has covered the issue and raised the ante lol[/quote']

Well, actualy, the definition of bestiality is;

http://www.answers.com/bestiality

bes·ti·al·i·ty (bĕs'chē-ăl'ĭ-tē, bēs'-)

n., pl. -ties.

The quality or condition of being an animal or like an animal.

Conduct or an action marked by depravity or brutality.

Sexual relations between a human and an animal.

What people are generaly refering to with that word is actualy;

http://www.answers.com/zoophilia

zo·o·phil·i·a (zō'ə-fĭl'ē-ə) also zo·oph·i·lism (zō-ŏf'ə-lĭz'əm)

n.

Affection or affinity for animals.

Erotic attraction to or sexual contact with animals.

Biology. A tendency to feed or grow on animal tissue.

zo'o·phile' (-fīl') n.

zo'o·phil'ic (zō'ə-fĭl'ĭk) adj.

However, sex with another hominoid;

http://www.answers.com/topic/hominoid

hom·i·noid (hŏm'ə-noid')

adj.

Of or belonging to the superfamily Hominoidea, which includes apes and humans.

Resembling a human.

n.

A member of the Hominoidea.

is refered to as Rishathra;

http://www.answers.com/topic/rishathra

rishathra

In Larry Niven's Ringworld novels, rishathra is sexual intercourse between individuals of two different humanoid species. It is not generally considered a taboo and is often used by the myriad hominids of the Ringworld as a way of sealing agreements, such as trade contracts and peace treaties.

By extrapolation, the term has become used to mean sex between any two (or more) humanoids of different species in science fiction more generally.

Basicly if you just lay there and grunt its zoophilia and if you lay there and talk about the stock market its rishathra.

Tolver.

cutting to the quick of the arguement, i'm pretty certain if i start knobbing chimps I'll be had up in court next week and i dont think the ringworld defense is gonna work ;)

.men who are homophobic are burying their own gay feelings

Okay, while I'm not a "burn the gays" type person, I take exception to these kinds of comments.

I find homosexual men repulsive. Literally. I am not judging their lifestyle or sexuality, it's just my gut reaction like tasting boiled cabbage. For this reaction alone many people would call me homophobic. I however, have no actual objection to those people living that way. People are born who they are.

More importantly, I'm not burying anything - as many young ladies in the west of scotland can attest to.

OK. You say your not homophobic so the comment does not apply to you. But I'm a bit curious...why do you find homosexual men repulsive?

c4 :thinking:

Ask me why I find steamed cabbage repulsive and you'll find about as much reason. It's just an instinctive response that I find many other guys my age have (21). As I said I have no problem with people living their lives, but actually seeing the act makes me react that way involuntarily.

Guest c4evap
.men who are homophobic are burying their own gay feelings

Okay, while I'm not a "burn the gays" type person, I take exception to these kinds of comments.

I find homosexual men repulsive. Literally. I am not judging their lifestyle or sexuality, it's just my gut reaction like tasting boiled cabbage. For this reaction alone many people would call me homophobic. I however, have no actual objection to those people living that way. People are born who they are.

More importantly, I'm not burying anything - as many young ladies in the west of scotland can attest to.

OK. You say your not homophobic so the comment does not apply to you. But I'm a bit curious...why do you find homosexual men repulsive?

c4 :thinking:

Ask me why I find steamed cabbage repulsive and you'll find about as much reason. It's just an instinctive response that I find many other guys my age have (21). As I said I have no problem with people living their lives, but actually seeing the act makes me react that way involuntarily.

OK. I can understand that...I don't like cabbage either. Always been a turn-off.

c4 B)

Well, it has been my experience that straight men are scared that gay men will treat them the same way that straight men treat women, like pieces of meat to be consumed and shat out. Straight men think that because they want to stick their dicks into women that gay men must want to stick their dicks into straight men,

In 1994, just after Clinton had come up with the whole "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" compromise about gays in the military, I rode in the California AIDS Ride, a bicycle trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles, raising money for AIDS education and treatment.

During the ride we slept with a tent-mate and showered in community showers. I was one of the few straight men on the ride. When we had to fill out our tent-mate request forms, I didn't know anybody. I was about to write down that I wanted a straight tentmate (homophobia raises its head), but then realized how hypocritical that would be - I had encouraged Clinton to lift the ban on gays in the military entirely.

I left the request form blank. I had a gay roommate the first night in San Francisco. He didn't try to jump my bones or make a pass at me. We had a great evening swapping life stories. He wrote children's books. My last memories of that night was hearing him telling me one of his stories.

The next night I met my tent-mate. He was a gay man. He had no interest in jumping my bones, either. And nobody even ogled me in the shower!

Almost hurt my feelings! ;)

Tolver - that's how I learned how right you are, and got to shed a bit of my own homophobia at the same time.

Worf married a Joined trill which apart from being kind of like 3 in a bed involves 3 diffent species! the last time i looked at statutes sex with other species was called bestiality which kinda trumps homosexuality in the deviancy stakes :p so i reckon star trek has covered the issue and raised the ante lol

Bestiality laws that now exist don't take the possibility of other sentient (and therefore, able to give consent) species.

But, just to ask a weird question:

It's legal to kill animals: for food, for clothing, for sport. Why then is it illegal to f*ck them?

Not that I have any desire to - but the law seems to be quite inconsistent about this ... not at all logical. After all, it's a whole lot less harmful for a ewe to have a human take sexual gratification from it than to be slaughtered for mutton!

And Von, it's very difficult to find reasonable statistics to support a lower rate of homosexuality than 2.5%. And that's probably based on under reporting. So if 97.5% of the people want to pathologize the other 2.5% of the people - that's OK with you? Last time I checked Klingon Vampire Warlocks were an extreme minority ... what happens if the general populace decides that you are a deviant and a perversion?!?

B)

cutting to the quick of the arguement, i'm pretty certain if i start knobbing chimps I'll be had up in court next week and i dont think the ringworld defense is gonna work ;)

If the chimps aren't interested, court will be the least of your worries!

B)

Not that I have any desire to - but the law seems to be quite inconsistent about this ... not at all logical. After all, it's a whole lot less harmful for a ewe to have a human take sexual gratification from it than to be slaughtered for mutton!

You are entirely too sensible to be making laws.

And Von' date=' last time I checked Vampire Warlocks were an [b']extreme[/b] minority ... what happens if the general populace decides that you are a deviant and a perversion?!?

That's a very good point!

......Let's explore that a bit.

Do you see any of my kind demanding special rights?

.....Nope.

Do you see us attempting to force our lifestyle upon others?

.....Nope.

Are we putting books into schools for kindergarten children to read, in the hope they will consider us "normal"?

.....Nope.

Have we marched on Washington DC?

.....Nope.

Do we constantly harp about being misunderstood, or how Hollywierd portrays us?

.....No.

The whole point of life is playing the cards your given, not constantly trying to bribe the dealer into giving you a new set of cards.

.......Playing the game your delt will get you far more respect & honor in the long run.

:stare:

And Von' date=' last time I checked Vampire Warlocks were an [b']extreme[/b] minority ... what happens if the general populace decides that you are a deviant and a perversion?!?

That's a very good point!

......Let's explore that a bit.

Do you see any of my kind demanding special rights?

.....Nope.

Nor do I see your kind deprived of any rights (except in some states below the Bible Belt, where I understand laws forbidding "witchcraft" are still on the books - local prosecutors would probably consider a Warlock a male witch ... but don't worry, the Constitution protects you.

It does not protect the rights of gay people. It's been only recently that the rights of gays to couple in the privacy of their own homes has been decriminalized!!!

That's not a special right!

Many states have had to create "special rights" for gay couples because they define marriage in a narrow sense, hence the spate of "civil union" laws to allow gay couples to have some of the same rights that breeder couples have. And while registered couples now have some assurance about inheritance and medical visitation, they are denied the full rights and responsibilities of a married couple. They are discriminated against by tax codes, care for child custody in the event of a dissolution is not taken. Allowing gays to marry would take away the need for the "special" rights of civil unions.

And legal protection from gay bashers and harrassment. Is that a "special right?" The right to be secure in their persons is guaranteed by the constitution. Hate crime statutes do little to increase the penalties for people who have already committed a serious crime - but they can turn vicious harrassment into a serious crime. That "special right" goes out to lots of minorities who are persecuted by spiteful, fearful people. It gives the the right to enjoy a lifestyle more like the rest of us - free from fear. Is this a special right? NO! When folks like Matthew Shepard don't have to fear, then they won't need special laws in order to enjoy the same right to freedom from fear that the majority has.

Do you see us attempting to force our lifestyle upon others?

.....Nope.

See my post above about NOT being forced into a gay lifestyle when I was in the minority. Can you give me a personal example of a gay or lesbian who attempted to recruit you with any more fortitude than you've ever used when trying to get a date or to first base?

Homosexuals aren't trying to force their lifestyle on anybody - they're trying to get the space to be themselves without being killed, beaten, slandered, intimidated, or otherwise discriminated against. Those aren't special rights - they're not forcing a lifestyle on anybody - it's the attempt to get others to stop forcing them NOT to have their normal lives.

Are we putting books into schools for kindergarten children to read, in the hope they will consider us "normal"?

.....Nope.

I seriously doubt that you Vampire Klingon Warlocks are. But the libraries are full of books that promote the WASP lifestyle as the norm. It's a problem for some kids who don't see themselves or their families fitting in. Making books available to children has two beneficial effects:

1) It helps eliminate fear and prejudice.

2) It helps children who know that they're different feel less alone and despondent.

Most of the gay and lesbian people I've known knew that they were "different" before the age of 7. Most of them had no idea what that meant, and found it strongly disturbing. Some of them found it so disturbing that they attempted suicide in early adolescence. A few good books might have made a huge difference.

Books for children just might promote toleration and help bigotry decrease so that gay bashing and murders can stop some day.

Have we marched on Washington DC?

.....Nope.

What's your point? Lots of affinity groups have marched on Washington, DC. That's good citizenship, exercising your right to peaceably assemble, to petition the Government for a redress of grievances! This makes them patriots. Gays: 1, Klingon Vampire Warlocks: 0

Do we constantly harp about being misunderstood, or how Hollywierd portrays us?

.....No.

As a 100% Certified NERD, I constantly harp about how Hollywood portrays us. How many people voted in favor of the Fox "News" clip about the Trek United effort? How many found it annoying or offensive?

The whole point of life is playing the cards your given, not constantly trying to bribe the dealer into giving you a new set of cards.

.......Playing the game your delt will get you far more respect & honor in the long run.

Most homosexual people (that I know) don't try to bribe the dealer for a new set of cards. They simply want to be allowed to play their hand with the others and using the same rules. You're right - playing the game you're dealt will get you far more respect and honor in the long run - and trying to stop others from accessing the card table, or having as many cards as you have in your hand is dishonorable, anti-social, and evil. It's not the pre-Bush American Way.

And legal protection from gay bashers and harrassment. Is that a "special right?" The right to be secure in their persons is guaranteed by the constitution. Hate crime statutes do little to increase the penalties for people who have already committed a serious crime - but they can turn vicious harrassment into a serious crime. That "special right" goes out to lots of minorities who are persecuted by spiteful' date=' fearful people. It gives the the right to enjoy a lifestyle more like the rest of us - free from fear. Is this a special right? [b']NO![/b] When folks like Matthew Shepard don't have to fear, then they won't need special laws in order to enjoy the same right to freedom from fear that the majority has.

quote]

NO! no special rights for monorities! if the law is inadaquete then change the law as it applies to everyone, not apply some plaster over the wound patch. thats the microsoft solution

This whole hate crime business pisses me off, how can a white murdering a black be a hate crime, if the victim was white would it have been a friendly murder?

in England BTW there can only be white hate crime committers, the arrest form has plenty of tick boxes for white on black, white on asian, asian on black, etc, and the figures are published, however no records are kept on crimes against whites, apparantly thats not a hate crime and cant be ROFLMFAO!

[

Many states have had to create "special rights" for gay couples because they define marriage in a narrow sense, hence the spate of "civil union" laws to allow gay couples to have some of the same rights that breeder couples have. And while registered couples now have some assurance about inheritance and medical visitation, they are denied the full rights and responsibilities of a married couple. They are discriminated against by tax codes, care for child custody in the event of a dissolution is not taken. Allowing gays to marry would take away the need for the "special" rights of civil unions.

Totally agree a couple in a long term relationship should not suffer because of marriage biased inheritance laws

However, and this is a true case of people I know, 2 elderly heterosexual brothers, never married and shared the house they were born in all their life. One died and the surviving brother had to sell his home to pay death duties

this would not have happened if they had been a married couple or a gay couple in you scenario, is that fair? and how do you propose to solve that inequality, under your scenario they would have just had to claim they were a gay couple (not sure if the english incest laws apply to homosexuality)