Gay Trek.

Tolver

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm... wtf mate? Anyway...

Trek has dealt with it in a way - I do believe Jadzia Dax was once attracted to a wife from a past life in one ds9 episode. TNG dealt with it with Crusher falling in love with a Trill only to have a female host take over then the male one died.

It's there, it's just not blatent.

Besides which, it's still mainstream television and people generally think of the entire world as being like them - and the majority of the viewers are straight, ergo.... what we have in trek.

But uh... those are just abnormal cases I believe. Dax was a straight guy in a woman's body (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Erm... wtf mate? Anyway...

Trek has dealt with it in a way - I do believe Jadzia Dax was once attracted to a wife from a past life in one ds9 episode. TNG dealt with it with Crusher falling in love with a Trill only to have a female host take over then the male one died.

It's there, it's just not blatent.

Besides which, it's still mainstream television and people generally think of the entire world as being like them - and the majority of the viewers are straight, ergo.... what we have in trek.

But uh... those are just abnormal cases I believe. Dax was a straight guy in a woman's body (Correct me if I'm wrong)

When dax was married to the woman in question, he was a man. But a few lifetimes later, when Jadzia Dax met the woman, she was a woman too, and she was not supposed to pursue that relationship, since it was from a past life. But Jadzia Dax, for the most part, fell in love with men, she married Worf, so if you are saying that she is a "straight guy in a womans body" then there is something we don't know about Worf....

I think that the Dax symbonite differs to the preference to it's host when it comes to sexual pefrence seeing how a worm in the ol' tummy dosent exactelly have a need for reproductive organs, so it would stand to reason it wouldn't have a concept of gender identity. Put dax in a straight woman, and boom, dax loves men. Put dax in a gay man, and dax also likes men.

I've always thought as the Dax symbonite in the same light as installing a second hard drive for the purpose of storage. I keep all my movies and mp3's on a 80gigger , so that if I have to format C, or it C breaks down, I still retain all my stuff for the next install of windows / linux. I think that the symbonite works the same way, lives inside a host, makes a copy of the hosts exeperiences / memories or whatever, then goes to the next host, and gives that host the experience of the previous hosts.

And just for the record, I think that Malcom Ried is gay. Remember that eposode when they find that planet that is populated by their decendents, and malcom was the only one that never got married or had kids? Theres your explaination right there, he's in the closet, everyone. What other explaination could there be? he's a good looking personable guy, how could he have not gotten down with at least one women in that alternate future?

Or how about that episode where Hoshi and co. are trying like hell to find out what his fav food is for his birthda? Malcoms own parents didn;t know, none of his friends knew either. If he's so good at hiding that kind f information away from his nearest and dearest, what OTHER info does he have locked away in the closet?

It would appear that the symbionts don't have a gender and the hosts presumably usually decide to have relationships with members of the opposite sex. I suppose most hosts would be quite confused about their gender and sexuality because of the memories and experiences they carry through the symbiont. Or maybe the writers are confused. Or it could just be me. :p What I find more interesting is that at first Worf is embarrassed when Jadzia talks about her past hosts (the male ones like Curzon in particular) while Bashir is actually turned on by it.

But back to the original topic... I would definately support a gay character on Star Trek. I like controversiality and Star Trek hasn't really been controversial since the first interracial kiss on American TV in the sixties. Naturally a lot of people would be shocked by it and it would turn quite a few viewers away (while attracting some new ones), but Star Trek would once again be groundbreaking. Sadly, that's why it will never happen and why Gene Roddenberry got tired of his own creation.

The producers say there will be a gay character on a future Trek to keep the gay community happy, but by the time they do it they will have missed their chance to go somewhere no-one has gone before.

erm before i say this please dont take this the wrong way.

I for one would be against a gay character in the series, mainly due to the fact that its not just adults that watch the shows but also childern.

Well, of course!! Children shouldn't see a loving, devoted couple, not if they're Gay! Good Lord, what would they learn!?

But watching one race of aliens try and anihilate another, or one charcter torture another for information, or stab with knives, or blast with phasers, or burn with radiation, or throw into pits with animals, hey, all of that's ok.

Or watching one character sleep with several others over the course of a few years, or impregnate themselves with stolen DNA, or hunt for sport... hey, that's fine!

Trek had a lot of gay characters. Remember the atrocious mirror universe from DS9? Plenty of gay characters there. In my opnion gay Trek is gay. If a ten year old can figure it out, so can we, I'm sure.

i dont know about gay.... but rewatch TNG : "the naked now" (the remake/continuation of the naked time from TOS) theres a few cross dressing crewmates in the background in the scenes with the crew all groping each other in the corridors.

the premise was that everyone lost their sense of right and wrong as if they were drunk and lost their inhabitions.

(men in the short female skirt TNG uniforms that dissapeared around season 3)

Guest c4evap
erm before i say this please dont take this the wrong way.

I for one would be against a gay character in the series, mainly due to the fact that its not just adults that watch the shows but also childern.

Well, of course!! Children shouldn't see a loving, devoted couple, not if they're Gay! Good Lord, what would they learn!?

But watching one race of aliens try and anihilate another, or one charcter torture another for information, or stab with knives, or blast with phasers, or burn with radiation, or throw into pits with animals, hey, all of that's ok.

Or watching one character sleep with several others over the course of a few years, or impregnate themselves with stolen DNA, or hunt for sport... hey, that's fine!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Some people just don't get it do they StevenofNine..? You know what I have found out to be very, very true...men who are homophobic are burying their own gay feelings. They are so mad at themselves for having these feelings that they take it out on others.

c4 B)

snip

But Jadzia Dax, for the most part, fell in love with men, she married Worf, so if you are saying that she is a "straight guy in a womans body" then there is something we don't know about Worf....

I was pretending to know something about TNG, you sure showed me :p

I haven't seen much of it, but from what i'd read when I made that comment it seemed something sensible to say ;)

You know. Homosexuality is associated with ill health. Many homosexuals become lopsided. This causes mental and health problems that limit their abilities compared to straight people. Many homosexual people have a crippled arm, leg and are blind in one eye. That is where the legend of the cyclops originated. Gays only have one working eye so Homer called them Cyclops in his novel.

Hmmn... where'd you get that from? And wasn't the cyclops also a giant that could use it's entire body? In the Star Trek future they have advanced a whole lot in the medical field. Wouldn't this mean that even if what you're saying is true (which it isn't) they could heal lopsidedness?

You know. Homosexuality is associated with ill health. Many homosexuals become lopsided. This causes mental and health problems that limit their abilities compared to straight people. Many homosexual people have a crippled arm, leg and are blind in one eye. That is where the legend of the cyclops originated. Gays only have one working eye so Homer called them Cyclops in his novel.

Hmmn... where'd you get that from? And wasn't the cyclops also a giant that could use it's entire body? In the Star Trek future they have advanced a whole lot in the medical field. Wouldn't this mean that even if what you're saying is true (which it isn't) they could heal lopsidedness?

Uh Oh. I don't know if you should have asked that.... Anyone who followed the gay/straight topics probably knows from where I am coming....

So let me get this 'straight', (pardon the pun).... Boris attacks gays, and the gays (if that's not a PC way to put it, I mean no offence) / gay sympethisers start attacking Boris?

So correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that those attacking Boris is just as guilty for the whole 'cycle of hate' as he is here. Find some common ground, try to see the situation from the other persons pespective.

I used to be wickedly homophobic back when I was younger, then as fate would have it, my first GF "got the gay" as it were. Then My step ma came out of the closet, then I started to work with gay men, and hanging out with them socially, and ya know what, thay're exactelly the same as straight people are. They all work jobs that they hate, dislike the government, complain about taxes, go to the grocery store, get fukcd around in relationships, etc. Its all simple common sence stuff.

The basic idea is that we're all people here, wether you're into loving the same sex, or you get your jollies off from spouting hetero-supremicy in sci-fi forums, we're all the same, and we all deserve the respect and understanding from each other.

Anyway, a few posts back, someone pointed out that Enterprise already has a gay charecter, so get over it already :P

Well, back to the topic of Gay Trek, I was stimulated to do some online research and came across 'Hidden Frontier', a fan-made spin-off series, that deals with the gay issue in a couple of their episodes.

http://www.hiddenfrontier.org/

And here is a short review that led me to the site in the first place.

http://www.hiddenfrontier.org/news/fave_sostrom.html

And for those who have an interest, here are the direct links to dl the episode for their own viewing.

http://videos.hiddenfrontier.com/video/205Act1.mov

http://videos.hiddenfrontier.com/video/205Act2.mov

I was going to post a new torrent for season one, but for some reason the tracker seems to be down, perhaps later it will be back up, or else I may just go seed season one through a different tracker and post its url here.

I know that the quality is lower than paramounts, but these people are doing the show for free, so give them some slack, at least we have SOMETHING new to watch thats in the same universe?

Tolver.

So let me get this 'straight'' date=' (pardon the pun).... Boris attacks gays, and the gays (if that's not a PC way to put it, I mean no offence) / gay sympethisers start attacking Boris?[/quote']

Gay sympathiser? Yeah, ok. And, yes, I find it completely within bounds to mock Boris' obviously uninformed situation. Homosexuality is an illness leading to lopsidedness? Sorry, that begs ridicule.

Cycle of hate? I don't hate Boris and his ilk, I find them pitiable and dangerous. But they see what they want to see. There's plenty of real science out there, and they've glommed onto this lopsided issue? Puh-leeeeese.

Tolver, post the torrents, get some exposure for the issue. You know Paramount won't.

Uh Oh. I don't know if you should have asked that.... Anyone who followed the gay/straight topics probably knows from where I am coming....

i know where ur comin from.

think im gonna leave this one alone.

see ya round

You know really, up until enterprise sexuality really was not very prevalent on Star Trek. I really couldn't imagine too many opportunities to showcase a gay character, short of a glance at a mans ass here or there. I always thought Julian Bashir acted pretty damn Queer. Neelix too, running around with a 1 year old girl and doing all the cooking. Neelix was definately gay. Besides that, it would just be annoying if there was some guy running around with a lisp and pink tu-tu. What are you looking for, half the crew singing 'YMCA' on the bridge?

Mostly though, I think you'd find most of the viewership of Trek is straight males, and it's just not that appealing to males to watch homosexual men gettin' their gay on. Trek needs to appeal to what it can to stay on the air, and for one I've watched many an esisode of Enterprise a second time just to gauk at T'Pol, and Seven Of Nine probably kept Voyager afloat for a few seasons.

So if there is going to be another gay character on Trek (in addition to Neelix), it should definately be a Lipstick Lesbian!