Revenge of the sith - was it any good

Y'know, as long as it isn't just George Lucas writing, the TV series may have some pretty good potential...

i dunno. georges writing works for me. the stories so far have been pretty good with the exception of phantom but even then apart from the pointless pod racing and the bad telling of the story, the content wasnt too bad. just made a sub standard star wars movie.

i agree that there is a lot to tell in the 30-40 years between rots and anh.

1. the formation of the rebellion.

2. the completion of the death star

3. whatever happened to the ugly bloke in mos eisley cantina it didnt look like he was born that way

4. how chewie and han become friends

5. vader has to hunt down the remaining jedi

6. the emperor to gey a little uglier

7. and a whole universe under oppression of the sith.

so.....now i think about it, not much really. forget what i said.

also i hope what happened to indiana jones doesnt happen to star wars. the series was annoying so i didnt watch and the films were annoying. they were exactly like they were supposed to be and i TRIED NOT to like them. really hard.

but more star wars has to be a good thing

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from what i've heard about the new tv series, is that it basicly has no focus on the original characters, though i'm sure the storyline will pop in some of the characters the odd time. And like it was previously said here, there's alot to cover for the time between revenge of the sith and a new hope.

And of course george is doing it for the money. But its the Expanded universe that makes star wars so great. I can only hope Timothy Zahn will get a chance to write a few episodes for the new series.

I went back and saw the original episodes 4-6. I noticed something interesting in Empire strikes back, episode 5.

When Luke skywalker goes to the planet to get training from Yoda. Yoda gets impatient and says I cant teach him. But Obi wan's voice comes in the background and tells Yoda, (roughly paraphrased) 'remember how I was when you taught me" and i was also impatient' and so on. So of course implying that Yoda was Obi Wan's master.

However we know from Episode I (phantam M) that Yoda was not Obi Wan's master, it was quin.

How could that slip through Lucas?

Actually, if you could gather how the jedi teaching system works, everybody gets trained by yoda at some point. I seem to remember yoda (phantom) in a room with younglings teaching them lightsaber skills. Thus, one can conlcude from this that he taught obiwan as well, remembering yoda is quite old, and has been with jedi order for sometime.

EDIT: From what i can tell, your jedi master would = your home room teacher, and other jedi masters taught other subjects, atleast this is what i think from playing Knights of the old republic, and the prequel movies.

im not so sure george is in it for the money, though that is such an obvious benefit.

if yo are that successful then its cos yo love what you do and you wanna do it well.

these things he has done.

he already has a ton of cash. what would he need more for?

There are at least 2 major stories out there

- the prequel of the prequel, the Jedi and the Rift with the Sith, the Sith in Power and the Defeat of the Sith.

- the years between III and IV. (but a good story there would really take some work.)

-edit

just discovered some rumors are going around Lucas is considering a prequel to the prequel, refered to as the Knights of the Old Republic era. this is fan-reporting so it ought to be taken with a handful of salt.

hxxp://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Lucas_Talks_PreEpsiode_I_Movie_92964.asp

just discovered some rumors are going around Lucas is considering a prequel to the prequel, refered to as the Knights of the Old Republic era. this is fan-reporting so it ought to be taken with a handful of salt.

Actually, since there's two games set it that era, it would just be a matter of turning the games into movies... It's not that much of a stretch.

My main gripe with Episode III was the death of Padme. In Episode VI, Luke asked Leia if she remembered her real mother. She answered that her mother was beautiful but very sad. Clearly Padme needed to live a few more years for Leia to remember her.

All the other problems seemed minor and I can easily live with them.

im curious about that too.

it was an ambiguous end to the movie.

i dont know if anyone else noticed that when amidalas funeral procession was underway, the camera pointed very deliberately at a 5 year old girl.

it left me wonderin if the events werent dealt with in chronological order and amidalas funeral was a few years later rather than immediatly.

vader said that he would have felt her death and had not.

so what if the 5 year old girl i mentioned was leia after all and the funeral did occur a few years later?

i have no doubt others have opinion to the contrary but thats the first impression i got and the second when i saw it again a few days ago.

any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this movie was very good, much better than the previous two. I was glad to see there werent any characters like jaja binks to keep the kids happy and piss everyone off

it was more true to telling a good sci fi story and filling in all the gaps that to keep the families entertained

I think that the movie was excellent. There were few things that is bothersome but hey we all should deal with it and accept them as they are.

I have a more important problem about the main theme of the SW series. Don't they say that loving a girl takes you to the dark side? Maybe if Anakin didn't love padme, he would stick to the jedi orders' rules and become a great jedi. Or maybe not. I don't know really. What are your thoughts?

In ep. IV Obiwan tells Luke he cant remember ever owning a droid, but in ep. I -III he is constantly with R2 and 3p0. Has his memory failed him since he took residence on Tatooine at th end of ep. III, after all, how old was he at the end of ep. III and roughly how old was he when luke wandered out into the dune sea and Obiwan found him? My guess is maybe in his 60's , even though Alec Guiness was much older than that. He shouldent be goin senile so why no memory of the droids?

My main gripe with Episode III was the death of Padme. In Episode VI, Luke asked Leia if she remembered her real mother. She answered that her mother was beautiful but very sad. Clearly Padme needed to live a few more years for Leia to remember her.

All the other problems seemed minor and I can easily live with them.

I agree, This is odd and dosent fit in with ep.III as we have seen.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed the movie, but it could have been almost any summer/action/Sci-Fi blockbuster. Nothing about the quality of the "movie" said "StarWars" to me...except for the names and costumes the movie was pretty generic. I think "Independence Day" had more plot/character development then "StarWars 3"...and about the same amount of action (and a lot more humor).

Could it be that Will Smith is a better actor then Ewan McGregor?

Could it be that Roland Emmerich is a better director then George Lucas?

Could it be that Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are better screen writers then George Lucas?

...I don't think so. But questions must be answered.

One reason I think the acting was so wooden was that the actors only had the pages of the script they where in. So they had no way of knowing what the story arc was, and they had no way of knowing what came before or after (their scenes). They where acting in front of green screens, a lot, so they couldn't "picture" the action in their heads...they couldn't really "add" much to their characters beyond what Lucas gave them in the way of "Direction".