honor or power?

BitKeeper

Honour with Power, Power With Honor for there is no honor in not seizing power honourably. To keep your race/federation safe is to be with honour but to let the sun go down on your anger is to be vain in a sense of illusional honor therefore this choice seems to be void due to the unhonourable perception of "honour" and "power".

:p B)

Ferengi? Personally I find the Ferengi a horribly foul species!

And why would the Klingons not qualify as powerful? I think the Klingons are certainly more powerful than the Ferengi.

The Romulans are not really a sound option, since most of the time they cannot be trusted.

I assume the goals is to choose an ally for the Federation from these 3 species and so I can only conclude that the Klingons are the only suitable ally. The StarTrek storywriters seem to mostly agree with me on this point. Not that there were no alliances with the other species, but the one with the Klingons did seem to be the most stable one.

If I personally had to choose an ally from these three, I'd also go for the Klingons, not that I'm such a great fan of theirs, but the other two possiblities are simply to unreliable. Personally if I had to choose a species, not as an ally, but as my own species, I'd have a very hard time deciding wether I'd choose Klingon or Romulan. I think in the end I'd go for Romulan since I believe the likelyhood of their survival is bigger than that of the Klingons.

Of course all this reasoning only applies for my assumptions and if they were correct.

Ferengi? Personally I find the Ferengi a horribly foul species!

Yeah... especially since they're so intentionally a caricature of much of our society -_-'

And why would the Klingons not qualify as powerful? I think the Klingons are certainly more powerful than the Ferengi.

The Romulans are not really a sound option, since most of the time they cannot be trusted.

Heh... all are mirrors of different aspects of humanity, really. That's why they're all so monocultural. Even the Dominion is simply a look at our imperial side, so recently cloaked in humanitarianism.

The Klingons are stereotypical Vikings... the Romulans are our more xenophobic side, the Ferengi is the modern business world, the Dominion is a mirror of 16th-19th century imperialism complete with the dehumanization of the 'savage lesser races'... and the Federation is an 'ideal' image of a galactic society.

Me, I'd like an order of power sprinkled with honour, please ;)

What alien race would modern day US and UK be in Trekville? There's elements of corporate feudalism, theocracy and facism in our so called democracies.

Do the Borg represent communism in is "purest" form?

(As you can see most of my knowledge of political systems comes from the civilization games :P)

I like to think the Borg is a tribute / cross breed of the Cybermen from Doctor Who and the Amnion from Stephen R. Donaldson's 'Gap' series... the Cybermen for their habit of 'building' Cybermen from members of other species, and the Amnion for their biochemical assimilation and hive mind (very much like the Borg with their nanomachines... except the Amnion use tailored virii and are purely organic)

Actually, they're mostly based on the Amnion, now that I think about it... just tweaked to use nanomachines and cybernetics ^^

I like to think the Borg is a tribute / cross breed of the Cybermen from Doctor Who and the Amnion from Stephen R. Donaldson's 'Gap' series... the Cybermen for their habit of 'building' Cybermen from members of other species, and the Amnion for their biochemical assimilation and hive mind (very much like the Borg with their nanomachines... except the Amnion use tailored virii and are purely organic)

Actually, they're mostly based on the Amnion, now that I think about it... just tweaked to use nanomachines and cybernetics ^^

Probably all derived from zombies and vampires - your body surviving when infected but your will is gone or severely distorted.

I reckon it is something archetypal. Borgs, zombies, cybermen yadda yadda yadda all involve the loss of self somehow, and arises the whole "us and them" mentality, and if it is an archetype it would explain why they are so bloody scary. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a myth in antiquity that has something similar.

They could have both ripped the idea off Doctor Who, but then again, Doctor Who could have ripped off Night of the Living Dead, and that something else, or all could have arisen independently from something in our psyches.

I'd like to delve further into this and say that first and foremost, the inner personal honor most be cared for

(i.e.; inner TRUE dreams and goals consistent with who you are)

Because if you do, you draw power from there, from within.

Power from "things" outside yourself is not true power it's a shadow and an illusion.

There's an African proverb that Les Brown likes to quote:

"If there is no enemy within, the enemy outside can do no harm"

I agree with that, I know it is so, hence this reply.

Honour, like everything else, is very relative and invariably personally defined. One person's 'honorable behavior' is another person's 'atrocity'. The best thing we can really do is work towards actions that have the least negative impact on everybody ^^... THAT, is honorable to me ^^

the more power a group maintains and wishes to hold onto then it seems to me the more "flexible" their honour system becomes

teo old maxims which I think hold true on this mattert are

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

To maintain your own groups supremacy people are prepared to do some pretty horrendous things, yet still feel they are honour bound to do them

I'm willing to bet a number of Concentration camp guards figured they were doing the "honourable" thing for their people

as a previous poster said honour is a relative concept

Although they are technically westernised, i have a few japanese friends and though I agree with many of there principals I still find it hard to fully grasp their mindset, they are honourable and yet their yardstick is different to mine

I often think There is as much chance of us all agreeing on what is honourable than there is of seeing a Catholic suicide bomber!

So I vote for power. At least then you have a free hand to do what you consider best, even if you go down in history as a villian, at least you have a free hand

(Or maybe that is an honourable thing? being prepared to get your hands dirty for the sake of others?)

Honor, I suppose.... since apathy wasn't an option... :p

(...)

The Klingons are stereotypical Vikings...

(...)

WTF? Well, vikings were farmers when they weren't out collecting other peoples things.

The mental image of a klingon wearing a broad-rimmed hat and overalls shovelling targ-poo cracks me up!

:D

WTF? Well, vikings were farmers when they weren't out collecting other peoples things.

The mental image of a klingon wearing a broad-rimmed hat and overalls shovelling targ-poo cracks me up!

:D

I said STEREOTYPICAL Vikings, not REAL vikings -_-'...