Do you Smoke?

Detor

Since they have proven that second-hand smoke is definitely dangerous to those that inhale it, I really DO want smokers out of my breathing space -_-'... I only have issues with smokers who choose to do it around me! If they stand downwind, I've got no problems with it... and many of my best friends are 1) smokers, and 2) agree with me, stating the 'if I could only stop' line of an addict.

*sigh* It's amazing what peer conditioning and addiction will make people do... the 'it's cool' argument IS peer conditioning, after all. Instead of saying 'smokers', maybe 'cigarette addicts' is in order?

Of course, I don't consider someone who smokes less than a cigarette every few days to be an addict, or maybe even one a day would make for a 'casual smoker'... but more often than not, you can't stop at -just- one a day... still unhealthy in comparison to a drink a day, though.

As long as you don't breathe smoke directly or indirectly on non-smokers against their will, I've got no problems with smoking... and I'll give any moral support necessary for those who want to quit! Addictions are never easy to shrug off, especially ones as strong as cigarettes...

Thanks there Gorun, for a measured and level headed response.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

Addictions are never easy to shrug off, especially ones as strong as cigarettes...

snip

GUESS WHAT? THE TOBACCO COMPANY DIDN'T FORCE YOU TO SUCK ON THE DEATH STICK.

snip

After the first few they do. Cigarette companies stuff thier products full of addictive substances and chemicals.

I agree completely with you GorunNova :cyclops:

O.o... wtf? No they haven't been discredited... they've been supported from several different independant researchers. The only 'discrediting' studies I've seen are in studies sponsored by the big tobacco companies, which are suspect.

I call you on this one... what study has proven that second hand smoke does NOT increase the risk of cancer in those that inhale it? All the ones I've read mentioned 'increased risk'...

There are a number of disturbing UK adverts about this, including ones targetted at second hand smoke. Young children being at risk from inhaling smoke, now you can't tell me that a toddler in a pram with two mothers who are smoking like chimmneys and it's wafting into his face...his eyes are red raw from it and the poor thing's coughing up a tiny lung - is good for the baby.

No that's not the advert, that happened the other day.

a few years ago in sydney a law was passed that people couldnt smoke within 1 metre of the bar areas. In protest the customers would lean over the 1 metre line and purposefully blew smoke at the bartenders. being a non-smoking bartender myself I wasnt impressed.

While doing research on Tobacco and smoking, I stumbled across a fact that seems pretty obvious from this topic: 85% (or some high percentage.. i forgot) of smokers say they want to quit, but the succcess rate of quitting is low (single digit percentage). Nicotine patches actually only help to an insignificant level (addition of another single digit percentage only). So to all those people in this forum who smoke and keep saying that they try to quit, I do feel sorry for you.

I also feel helpless in this situation. I have a close cousin who I recently found out to have started smoking a few years back. I can't imagine other people who feel as dispassionate as I do towards smoking, not able to stop their parents, brothers, sisters or children from smoking. Its just something of a near-impossible task. Yet its something beyond our control, as kicking the habit is sort of a Prime Directive in itself. You just gotta let the smokers quit by themselves coz it takes inner strength to do it. However I'm absolutely certain that just being there for them to support them (and lead them in the right direction to cessation) will help temendously and give them more courage and strength to fight the addiction.

Btw, anyone of you find it absolutely ignorant of parents who smoke like chimneys even with their kids and babies right next to them? Bloody hell... those kids won't stand a chance...

=Han=

a few years ago in sydney a law was passed that people couldnt smoke within 1 metre of the bar areas. In protest the customers would lean over the 1 metre line and purposefully blew smoke at the bartenders. being a non-smoking bartender myself I wasnt impressed.

That's really annoying because if somkers are allowed to smoke then they should really try not disrupt other people - I really think stronger laws need to be inforced or the ones we have will be ignored.

Btw, anyone of you find it absolutely ignorant of parents who smoke like chimneys even with their kids and babies right next to them? Bloody hell... those kids won't stand a chance...

=Han=

Yes - my Gran smokes and she has lots of my cousins who stay with her and they are young and i know they will all turn out to be smokers when they are older - My gran also has a dog that she has had for a while and it is always breathing heavily

thats come into effect in queensland now to, pretty soon (like.. a few years time) smoking in any public place will be completely and utterly banned

Smokers have become second class citizens of late. Please' date=' try to remember that smokers are not the enemy...the tobacco corporations are! Many of us started early in life cause it [i']was[/i] considered cool. Heck, all the ads showed some famous person tokin' on one and we wanted to be like them. We were kids. We are now addicted. I am trying to quit. If you've never been addicted then you do not know how hard it is to quit. Just my two cents worth...

nosmoking.gif

c4 :(

I disagree. It's ultimately your decision if you smoke or not. Everyones opinion of "What's cool" differs from person to person. So what if a movie star smokes on screen? If they jumped under a bus would you do the same?

People should choose what they like, rather than follow what everyone else likes. It's that kind of mainstream thinking of what's "fashionable" or "cool" that causes so many problems in todays society. I do things because I 'want' to do them. Not because everyone else does.

aaanyway...

While doing research on Tobacco and smoking' date=' I stumbled across a fact that seems pretty obvious from this topic: 85% (or some high percentage.. i forgot) of smokers say they want to quit, but the succcess rate of quitting is low (single digit percentage). Nicotine patches actually only help to an insignificant level (addition of another single digit percentage only). So to all those people in this forum who smoke and keep saying that they try to quit, I do feel sorry for you.[/quote']

I agree that it's all about will power. The thing is, smokers "like" to smoke, but know it's unhealthy for them so they say they want to quit. but people who keep saying they want to quit constantly, is like someone saying that they will do their homework 'eventually' and never actually doing it. In the case of the guy with homework, it's because they're lazy. They can't be bothered. It's too much effort. In the case of smokers, they also find it to be too much effort and give up and give in for a smoke. What's the point in saying you're going to quit if you're going to be lazy about it?

If you decide to do something, DO IT. Don't procrastinate under the pretense you're eventually going to do it.

Physiological addictions aren't easy things to throw off, contrasia. It helps to think of withdrawal as being on par with the extreme hunger pangs of starvation... if you're hungry enough, you'll do damned near anything to eat, and the same is true of drug addicts (including cigarettes). That is NOT an easy thing to overcome... especially when you know that it only takes one cigarette / shot / hit to immediately lose that hunger and agony...

OK I'll come clean. Yes I do smoke a lot.

I became a smoker 35 years ago at the age of 14 and before I did I used to suffer from acute bronchitis from the age of 7.

Yes I regret the cost of my addiction but not the relief I found.

Apparently the number of smokers in the UK put more carcinogens into the atmosphere than the thousands of cars on the roads.

Although the number of smokers has reduced dramatically it would seem that the fewer that their of us, we now cause more problems for the NHS due to secondary smoking.(i.e. you breathe air that I've polluted!)

OH PLEAASSEEE!

We are and always will be an easy target for governments. If it was so bad why isn't it banned outright and all sales stopped? If anyone deserves preferential treatment (in the UK) for breathing related deseases then it is the smoker who has for years been pilloried and taxed to the hilt and as such has paid more than his fair share.

When you stand at the top of a hill and gaze down at the village, town or city below, that pollution haze you see is not caused by the smoker, there aren't enough of us left

Oh I forgot, there's more money to be made from oil! We can even fight a war for that!

Pip

EDIT Forgot to add that I do respect other peoples opinions and stance on the discussion.