Cute Speed Test

str82u

Higher distance is less speed, that is common knowledge, but that the difference was that big I didn't know. I live in Europe, if I connect to a bandwithtester

in Europe: 9653 kbps down

in New York: 4877 kbps down

in Los Angeles: 3045 kbps down

The site in Europe obviously was not from this same provider, and the funny thing is, upload is allways the same, nomatter where I connect.

Download Speed: 3988 kbps (498.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 516 kbps (64.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I've never topped out with a torrent d/l, but that is completely accurate for my upload speed.

Nice test, nice visual, thx!

And, to "somewhat" dispute the distance theory... I switched to a test site farther away, and got a slight increase on d/l speed:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 4015 kbps (501.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 514 kbps (64.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Not a lot, but an increase. Of course, it was only a 300 mile difference... LOL.

Download Speed: 1322 kbps (165.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 301 kbps (37.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Downlaod is reasonably accurate but upload is an 200 kbps to low :')

Did improve somewhat when it was closer 387 kbps............

I tried it three times, and got three very different download speeds (anywhere from 1 KB/sec to 4.5 KB/sec--not sure what that means), but the upload speed reading was consistently about 16 KB/sec, which I find incredible, because the fastest upload speed I have ever achieved is about 5 KB/sec.

Okay, I did it again, and I think I'll scrap the first test, in which case the download speed is about 4.5 KB/sec.

I'm noticing that everyone else seems to have higher download than upload speeds, whereas I am registering the opposite. Does anyone know what that means (aside from the fact that my downloads are glacially slow. :rolleyes:)?

if you arent in the USA then it wont give a reliable speed test. Heres one i ran using another test from a UK tester.

Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 2595 Kbps (324.4 KB/sec) 2802 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 285 Kbps (35.6 KB/sec) 307 Kbps (inc. overheads)

If you want a simple quick speed test (UK server from NTL but anyone can use) try this, gives 4 ping results very quickly, I do like to run more complex tests from time to time but for a fast answer to make sure if getting my 2mb connection speed I use this, if its not close to 2000 for me theres usually something wrong.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html

If you want a simple quick speed test (UK server from NTL but anyone can use) try this, gives 4 ping results very quickly, I do like to run more complex tests from time to time but for a fast answer to make sure if getting my 2mb connection speed I use this, if its not close to 2000 for me theres usually something wrong.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html

On this test I keep getting around 2.6 mbps, when through broadband reports and toast I get 4.1. I am supposed to get 4. Apparently, this isn't accurate outside of Europe anyway, just a warning.

Download Speed: 204 kbps (25.5 KB/sec transfer rate

Upload Speed: 48 kbps (6 KB/sec transfer rate)

that is my results. I think it is a failure. :(

What kind of connection?

Here's what happened when I used this UK [http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html ] test from East Coast, USA

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 05:09:33 UTC

1st 128K took 265 ms = 494611 Bytes/sec = approx 4115 kbits/sec

2nd 128K took 1813 ms = 72296 Bytes/sec = approx 602 kbits/sec

3rd 128K took 1984 ms = 66065 Bytes/sec = approx 550 kbits/sec

4th 128K took 453 ms = 289342 Bytes/sec = approx 2407 kbits/sec

These results appear to be rather fast: maybe this page was in the browser cache.

Pretty good still, I wish this made a bigger difference for torrents. Our cable company does offer 6mbit service to us, but it's more than what I want to pay just now.

And No, That was my first visit to that page, the backup test reads about the same.

Download Speed : 8494 kbps (1061.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 8720 kbps (1091 KB/sec transfer rate)

Yay for business connections....

to bad i have to cancel it in 2 weeks when i move. :(

still think we pay to much for the speeds we get here in the UK, fastest ive seen is bulldog but aint sure weather to switch.

Also it sucks abit how some companies tie you down for a year so if a better and faster service is available then you cant get out of it such as AOL.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 433 kbps (54.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 223 kbps (27.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Very good test. I live in Europe and this is probably as accurate as it can go. The figures from my ISP are 512Kbps download and 256kbps Upload - however, the above result was probably correct for the time; as you never get your full line capacity at peak times.