Do i have a Virus?

ashfox

ok. here are the screen shots of my msconfig startup as attachments. I have so much stuff that there are three screen shots so that you can see them all. As you can see i have already disabled some things to try and make my pc run faster. i didnt want to disable any more because half of them i dont know what they are and i also know that some things are related to my anti virus and firewall systems.

Okay... I see some McAfee one's there still checked.... and then below I see some Norton ones.... THIS IS A PROBLEM. Honestly, having Norton and Mcafee both running on the system is inviting a full operating system reinstall. If that were my computer I would NOT HESITATE EVEN 10 SECONDS to remove both, and then reinstall the one you want to keep.

Also generally when i am on my computer and i go to 'task manager' and 'processes' i normally have on average about 40 to 50 things on there. Is this normal or could this be why my pc is a bit slow?

That's a lot, but it's not much more than usual.

BUT...

If you've tried everything and it's still slow, then it's probably a congested windows registry. But... there's one more thing you could look into before an OSRI. Go to google.com and search for "Autoruns" (yes, plural). The first result is a Sysinternals page. Someone earlier suggested the use of Sysinternal's process explorer which is another good program.

Go to the website, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and download that zip file. just run the Autoruns.exe file. It will show you a list of everything that loads with your computer: msconfig shows the main ones, but that's usually about 1/10 of what loads. Pay special attention to anything that does not have the manufacturer Microsoft. Think about disabling anything you don't recognize. You may have extra little programs or drivers running from programs you've used in the past.

I've used this handy program to cure random blue screens and slowness before. We even use it at the place that I work at.

Here's a direct link to the page: Sysinternal's Autoruns Download page

SNIPPET:

Go to the website' date=' scroll down to the bottom of the page, and download that zip file. just run the Autoruns.exe file. [u']

The one on the bottom of the page is an older version. A new version is located nearer the top of the page.

c4 B)

SNIPPET:

Go to the website' date=' scroll down to the bottom of the page, and download that zip file. just run the Autoruns.exe file. [/quote']

The one on the bottom of the page is an older version. A new version is located nearer the top of the page.

c4 B)

I couldn't find any link besides the one at the bottom. Could you post the link address or the link text so I could search for it or something? I'd like update my version to the newest one available. Maybe it's just me, but I can't find the other link that you're talking about.

Quick thought: it turns iself off -- have you checked whether there isn't something in your computer that overheats? E.g. due to a broken fan, changed air flow due to a moved cable / newly added hardware item, hardware malfunction...? Overheating parts (esp. CPUs) often slow down before completely shutting themselves off...

prehaps all you need to do is a disk cleanup, program files-accessories-systemtools-diskcleanup

works a charm every time. (at least in my experiance).

if that and defrag doesn't work then there a number of anti-spyware and anti-virus programs out there. or prehaps your one of the people unlucky enogough to have been infected with a rootkit.

of course it may be your hardware in which case all the software in the world won't help you

gd luck mate

ok. here are the screen shots of my msconfig startup as attachments. I have so much stuff that there are three screen shots so that you can see them all. As you can see i have already disabled some things to try and make my pc run faster. i didnt want to disable any more because half of them i dont know what they are and i also know that some things are related to my anti virus and firewall systems.

Okay... I see some McAfee one's there still checked.... and then below I see some Norton ones.... THIS IS A PROBLEM. Honestly, having Norton and Mcafee both running on the system is inviting a full operating system reinstall. If that were my computer I would NOT HESITATE EVEN 10 SECONDS to remove both, and then reinstall the one you want to keep.

Also generally when i am on my computer and i go to 'task manager' and 'processes' i normally have on average about 40 to 50 things on there. Is this normal or could this be why my pc is a bit slow?

That's a lot, but it's not much more than usual.

BUT...

If you've tried everything and it's still slow, then it's probably a congested windows registry. But... there's one more thing you could look into before an OSRI. Go to google.com and search for "Autoruns" (yes, plural). The first result is a Sysinternals page. Someone earlier suggested the use of Sysinternal's process explorer which is another good program.

Go to the website, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and download that zip file. just run the Autoruns.exe file. It will show you a list of everything that loads with your computer: msconfig shows the main ones, but that's usually about 1/10 of what loads. Pay special attention to anything that does not have the manufacturer Microsoft. Think about disabling anything you don't recognize. You may have extra little programs or drivers running from programs you've used in the past.

I've used this handy program to cure random blue screens and slowness before. We even use it at the place that I work at.

Here's a direct link to the page: Sysinternal's Autoruns Download page

NORTON!!!!! Where did that come from! I had norton for about a week when i first got this computer. i then switched to mcafee. i thought i had completely unistalled norton but i obviously haven't. I know that you should have more than one anti virus system installed or it might break your system.

another thing if u can't detect anything using normal anti-virus/spyware scanners try using rootkit revealer at www.sysinternals.com. warning revealer only alerts you to the presence of rootkits. deleating them is catistrophic to ur system. if ur infected i'd advise a full reformat.

below I see some Norton ones..

He got the nv and nwiz stuff confused with norton, but it is actually for your nvidia video card. You don't have norton on your system. If you did have it, and uninstalled it, you would know. You'd look like a mummified Pharaohs testicle by the time it was done.

This link will tell you how to remove it if you think something might still be on there http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

SNIPPET:

Go to the website' date=' scroll down to the bottom of the page, and download that zip file. just run the Autoruns.exe file. [/quote']

c4 B)

I couldn't find any link besides the one at the bottom. Could you post the link address or the link text so I could search for it or something? I'd like update my version to the newest one available. Maybe it's just me, but I can't find the other link that you're talking about.

Link. Newest version.

c4 B)

Link. Newest version.

c4 B)

Yup, that's the same link I pointed too. When you scroll down to the bottom of that page, that's the download link.

below I see some Norton ones..

He got the nv and nwiz stuff confused with norton, but it is actually for your nvidia video card. You don't have norton on your system.

Yeah Wahaha's right. I looked again and I don't see any Norton things there. It's probably totally gone. Sorry! Must've been a long day.

Link. Newest version.

c4 B)

Yup, that's the same link I pointed too. When you scroll down to the bottom of that page, that's the download link.

OK. I see now what's going on. On the sysinternals homepage they have programs listed on the left hand side (under the heading Mark's Blog. There's a few that refer to the different versions of the Autoruns program - but, no matter which one you click on it takes you to the newer version only. Didn't see that before.

c4 :)

If i were you, i'd completel Uninstall McAfee. It runs so much on start up that is not needed, and messes up the registry. Software from AOL, McAfee, and Norton all do this.

A suggestion would be to download Avast. Just google "Avast" and click on the first one. You have to register for a free home licence, but it works amazingly well! And in an Anti-Virus award, it has beaten McAfee, Symantec Anti virus, and Norton. I've been using it for ages - its the best around.

I agree that since the computer is shutting itself down, something is probably overheating or failing. In your BIOS, what settings would shut it off: RAM errors, motherboard/cpu overheating? Have you tested your RAM and cpu? If you've been using the computer more often lately, it's possible that the case is just warmer and you need more fans. Overheating is bad for hard drives too.

• 1 month later...
Well, fact is that windows will eventually after a few months die. You just installed to many programs, deleted them, changed the registry etc etc. There really is only one solution to that, and that's a total reinstall. So unless you recently reinstalled your comp you could consider reinstalling it.

Does this happen with laptops as well? I'm getting the same symptoms as well... :(

No telling what you have until i see that log. I cant see an antivirus bringing a 3.0ghz computer to it's knees!

In that case you've never tried norton antivirus 2005/2006....... :)

Does this happen with laptops as well? I'm getting the same symptoms as well... :(

Well yeah it happens to any comp (well unless you're only using notepad), it could only be one program, but if the comp got gradually slower it's most likely just windows getting cluttered and taking it's last breaths... An reinstall wil do miracles.

format and reinstall o/s should take 15 minutes on a 3 ghz

macafee never slowed mine down but i didn't like it so it's off again lol

check the graphics card as well as cpu for overheating probs

The shutdown thing sounds like a PSU fault does your BIOS have a system state restore option? with this if your power goes it will either stay switched off, reboot or do its previous state(if it was off and you unplug the pc and it is set to reboot then plugging in the power would restart the computer, i suggest changing this to reboot. if the system reboots you have a prob.... also i know there is a virus for xp that comes up with a message saying system will shut down in ?? seconds and it cant be stopped.