should there be more fat people in trek?

That Fat Bloke

I would be considered one of those "individuals of larger girth" and I don't think there's any discrimination.

I just think that in the future our foods will be much better for us and the goodies we like won't be as bad for us since they'll mostly be replicated. So people just won't get fat.

Scotty

Riker (Enterprise finale)

Guinan

O'Brien

Morn (big ol' fatty)

Paris (was gettin' chunky towards the end of the show)

Kes (fat but well concealed)

Neelix

Phlox

Plenty of fat folks, but not too many obese. Understandable, Star Fleet officers are physically conditioned, and 24th century nutrition is bound to be superior.

The next incarnation of Star Trek should be a starship with a crew made up entirely of T'Pol clones.

Lesbian T'Pol clones.

Star Trek:TPOL

no i don't think there is discrimination

and this topic is kinda......stupid....

Well now gentlemen (and ladies if any are present besides myself) - doesn't this individual have the right (as you all do) to post any question on this forum?

He asked a specific question - he didn't ask you if you thought his question was stupid.

Looks like a new member to me - is this how we give him a Niteshdw welcome?

Is this how Starfleet officers would behave?

I think not!

c4 :(

i think the reason that there are no "Fat star fleet people" is that u need to be in reasonable physical shape to get in, remember starfleet is a millitary organisation and therefore needs people to be fit.

remember there are plenty of fairly tubby civies in DS9 morn, Zek, quark to name a few. hell gareks father was pretty tubby in season 3.

no i don't think there is discrimination

and this topic is kinda......stupid....

Well now gentlemen (and ladies if any are present besides myself) - doesn't this individual have the right (as you all do) to post any question on this forum?

He asked a specific question - he didn't ask you if you thought his question was stupid.

Looks like a new member to me - is this how we give him a Niteshdw welcome?

Is this how Starfleet officers would behave?

I think not!

c4 :(

synexo said it good, imo

I doubt that 'really fat' people would stand a chance of either getting into Starfleet or staying 'really fat' once they're in, physical exercise and 'good' food can do miracles for the body... :)

sorry for the offence - but i mean Synexo and TetsuoShima are right - i mean in order to make Startrek at least plausable - they really couldn't allow just anyone into Starfleet - all new members would have to be subjected to Health examinations and tests to see if they were fit enough to get into Starfleet.

'stupid' was the wrong word to use - but to say the Federation is discriminating overweight people is not right.

Again sorry

And - Welcome 'That Fat Bloke' to Nites forum :)

Scotty

Riker (Enterprise finale)

Guinan

O'Brien

Morn (big ol' fatty)

Paris (was gettin' chunky towards the end of the show)

Kes (fat but well concealed)

Neelix

Phlox

Kes was fat?....was I watching a different Voyager show?

Anyways, assuming you just ate replicator food which is far more nutricious than normally grown/cooked food, you probably don't gain nearly as much weight. Plus since most Starfleet officers have some form of excersise (galaxy class ships have gyms) it's not so easy to become overweight.

Plus any medical reasons for weight gain, such as thyroid, glands, etc have probably been long since eliminated in the 400 or so odd years the Federation has been around.

Kes was certainly not fat when she was in the show - I remember seeing her at a Star Trek Convention at the Royal Albert Hall (oh god I have told people I have been to a convention - I was 15)

and Kes made an unexpected appearance - and she looked Anorexic-ly thin.

From what I have read she did podge out a little when leaving the show and having her baby - but even in Fury- she still looked thin.

On another note - its interesting that the one truly fat race depicted in Trek - were also shown as being stupid - the Pakleds.

On another note - its interesting that the one truly fat race depicted in Trek - were also shown as being stupid - the Pakleds.

Agreed.

amazing how people are stereotyped.

also interestin that it seems many people are in denial about the sterotypes which exist even tho they react to them.

i am pleased someone notice the Pakleds cos that is a stereotype no-one seems to find it necessary to question.

Agreed.

amazing how people are stereotyped.

also interestin that it seems many people are in denial about the sterotypes which exist even tho they react to them.

i am pleased someone notice the Pakleds cos that is a stereotype no-one seems to find it necessary to question.

oh - well as Star Trek as a whole then overweight people are DEFFINETLY NOT discriminated - there are many species in which overweight people are captains, crew members or other such cast members - Pekleds, Bolians, Ferengi and even Starfleet Admirals.

The next incarnation of Star Trek should be a starship with a crew made up entirely of T'Pol clones.

Lesbian T'Pol clones.

Star Trek:TPOL

This is the greatest idea ever. I am salivating at the thought. The uniforms should be revised for this, perhaps to a bikini format?