Where have the torrents gone?

species8472

I agree we all owe Nite a lot for the wonderful thing he has made available for us. However let me point out that as of yet we do not know HIS reason for taking the files down or weather he will put them back or if they are gone for good.

So it would be nice if he would pop in and make a comment of what is going on and where he stands in all this.

Absolutely right. All the information I've made availible is either things that I've done myself, have made educated guesses, based on availible information, and what I believe NiteShdw is planning on doing.

I am in absolutely no way the spokesman for the forum (all you reporters would do well remember that before you revise your articles). I'm just the guy trying to keep a cool head, and encouraging everyone else to do the same.

Only NiteShdw himself can comment on official the whys, whats and hows

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope at least this forum survives. It's really nice to discuss the latest sci-fi episodes and other subjects here. We can always get the torrents elsewhere.

One thing is certain: file sharing is inevitable. Nobody can stop it unless the whole internet is shutdown.

It's quite ironic, however, that RIAA, MPAA etc. are kind of promoting file sharing through the endless announcements and lawsuits. Go figure.

Niteshdw, thanks for everything! You're the best! :)

There shouldn't be any real reason as to the forums going offline. The worst case scenerio is that Nite loses the domain name, and server (not very likely to happen), and we have to update our bookmarks to another domain name (there are tons of backups for the forum's database and quicksilver forum files).

Best case, and most likely is that the forums, and domain remain as - is, and we retool the main site content as something else. Maybe retool the existing torrenttome project into an interavtive TV database, like we planned for, only minus the torrents.

If there is legal action coming, let's hope that Nite isn't hurt by it. They can force him to take down the site, etc., but let's hope at it's worst that's all that happens, and that his equipments and resources aren't taken.

Why the torrent site need to be down... you don't host the copyrighted material... only a tracker...

What is illegal is the people who upload a torrent... who make public a copyright material... in several european country, download is not illegal... copy for personal use not illegal... but in some european country, upload is illegal...

I find strange that USA, the country of "freedom", have so limited right... at several level, usa freedom is now more low that in Russian from the Staline time...

But like always, the big one with a lot of money will make a long and expensive legal procedure who will obligate litlle one like these site to close... the Niteshdw community is a little one but what about all torrent site and user of torrent site together... a long time ago, big one like Microsof have try stop the little Linux system but the communauty have win : not in US where several package was removed :-(

Seem that i will be to late for the 80's serie gallactica :-(((( ... maybe via DC++ ... at very slow speed...

well this sucks. but its simple. just get hosting outside of the USA.

Canada has yet to get anything related to this. The canadian version of the MPAA has been shut out of all their legal actions so far. The only thing they stop is people from downloading and selling. or buying then burning then selling. selling be the illegal thing.

anyway 2 good sites you can use is.

MiniNova

Thepiratebay swedish site. and they taunt the MPAA related things. this simply wont be shutting down.

This is the same as copyright. Say a musical group releases a cd and only has one single on the radio, meaning if people want to hear the other tracks of their music they must purchase the cd. While I can buy the cd and listen to it, making copies and distributing them normally would mean each other user paying their fee to own that copy, just like a retail store...

Wrong example for here in Europa... on the price in store for a original CD, only a very little part go to the author... the main part is for the distributor... here, when you buy blank CD, DVD, video, etc ... you pay a fee ( author tax ) on the blank support... the money earned is shared between author...

Same method with free software... free to download but you pay for the boxed version... you don't pay for the product but you pay for the distribution ( manual, box, support, ... )

Now, i have one little question : who own the copyright ? The author or the distributor ?

To answer your question, thoumsin, as I understand it there is more than one copyright for any work. I am a songwriter and have a copyright registered with SOCAN (the canadian ASCAP) which takes care of the authors rights. But there is also a copyright on the publishing rights of an artist's work - which is where the MPAA and RIAA and organizations like that come in. They own the licensing on the recordings of the artists' work, but not the author's copyright.

There is a great article on snopes.com which explains this well by citing the case of the copyrights for the Beatles' songs currently held by Michael Jackson. It's not specifically on the laws regarding the difference, but who wants to read boring legalese? Check it out.

Ok i am 57.5% downloaded on "V The Original Mini Series" I am downloading it on Bitlord, and the trackers according to bitlord is are all Niteshdw.net and .com two of them say "cannot resolve host adress" and the other says "cant connect tracker 11004 waiting 40s to retry..." there are no peers listed, nothing seems too be happening at all, should I forget it and look elsewhere or is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Ok i am 57.5% downloaded on "V The Original Mini Series" I am downloading it on Bitlord' date=' and the trackers according to bitlord is are all Niteshdw.net and .com two of them say "cannot resolve host adress" and the other says "cant connect tracker 11004 waiting 40s to retry..." there are no peers listed, nothing seems too be happening at all, should I forget it and look elsewhere or is there a light at the end of the tunnel?[/quote']

No. The NiteShdw.com tracker isn't even on the server any more, so all the torrents that had that tracker as it's soul tracker, are now officially dead.

Nite, my best to you and your family... I hope and pray that some good will come of this event, for you and for all the good members here. I'm one of those that does a fair amount of forum lurking without saying much, but let me now say 'count me in as a friend of Nite' - if there's something I can help with, drop an email or a pm and I'll do my best.

Well this really sucks. I first joined this site because I have no access (at any price) available to the new Doctor Who shows. I have a good capture card and DVD burner in my PC and used to record Sci Fi Friday for myself. Then I realized that the picture quality of my cable system (not yet digital) just can’t match a good 350 Mb XviD file. So I figure if I can legally record the episodes and edit out the commercials why can’t I download a better looking copy? I still watch them live with commercials when they first air. In a couple of months digital cable will be available to me and I can record my own high quality copies. I was really looking forward to that spring season of Doctor who though.

btw' date=' if this site under scrutiny, is it wise to have personal details of ANY description in our profiles[/quote']

Considering GOOGLE is looking over 7 user profiles at the moment, you can be sure your email address will be associated with this site if you post it. I searched for mine on yahoo and all it came up with is this site, so I removed it. I couldn't handle all the autograph seekers and movie scripts showing up in my mailbox.

For the outcome, you'll just have to wait a week probably, if they did file paperwork with the courts, they're slower than crackhead bob.

Considering GOOGLE is looking over 7 user profiles at the moment, you can be sure your email address will be associated with this site if you post it. I searched for mine on yahoo and all it came up with is this site, so I removed it. I couldn't handle all the autograph seekers and movie scripts showing up in my mailbox.

I've had my msn contact addy in my profile since the day I joined, and only like 3 people from the forum are on my contact list. TODAY however, I've had about 30 or so add me, and asking some pretty pointed questions.

No offence to you people, but if you're not a forum regular, and if I can't verify your email address / identity , I'm not even gonna confirm or deny if the second charecter in my mick is a zero or an oh.

Also, wahaha I got this movie script about a guy that's lived in a bunch of countries, and he goes on this crazy adventure, interested?

I loved this site and I will miss you all.

Nite, if we donate money will it go to your defense? I am sure that many if not all of us would be willing to help out. You gave so much to this community and this site and your name will stick with us all. 50 years from now I hope to remember this site, the people on it and what you did as the begining of a revolution which helped to spark a change in how this country and others handle IP.

I am sorry that this happened to you buddy.

-cyberbob

OK I know I am a lurkel.

Damn I needed 2 months before I started to post on the Startrek Online ofrum on startrek.com and it is a thing of major interest to me.

I like to come here and read some post, and I found this boards often usefult for finding out more about the shows I am interested in.

So I realy hope that the forum will stay.

As for the torent's part. Would it be so hard to put in place a law saying that sharing of shows is legal as long as the comercial parts are not edited out.

I personaly wouldn't mind at all if I could watch the shows even if interupted by comercials. In the country where I live the tv stations are not realy interested in sci-fi. The situation is so grim that the only real sci-fi show we get is StarGate (at least it is only 1-2 seasons behind). As for startrek TNG,DS9,VOY they have never showed more then the first few (3-4) seasons, as for enterprise there was no airing at all.

It is just a extreme lack of interest in sci-fi. We don't get any even trough cable, hell I can't even pay an aditiona fee to get some sci-fi.

Luckily for some time I was able to see some aerial stations from a neigbour country, but now the lead stations that have the srongest signal are all bout reality shows.

The only way for me to get some sci-fi is buying dvd-s (what i can find in our shops) or trough P2P.

Again what would be the problem of making lawful the distribution off TV series (transmited on public stations) as long as the comercials are not edited out.

It could be even useful for distribution companies to milk even more the sponsors, by creatring a new cheep distribution system paralel to the existing one.

They could easily compete with tivo and similar systems.

But I supose the big heads are full of hot air and not brain, making them so unable to see the profit potential of such systems.

Form a lot of things seen about USA in the last time, like the new ford small car concept, political decisions, and corporate decision, looks like fear is reigning. It look like the people or the coroporate guy decision makers are just afraid of everything.

Ok sory got out of line here. And please I don't want to insult no one.

Just wanted to say MPA and other companies should get the balls to make more money instead of looking for all the posible ways to cut losses.

The bad thing is that this atitude is rubing on on foreign companies too.

If USA would have to fall alone the rest of the world would somehow survive it, but if one more continent or big power crumbels too, then I don't belive there will be a way to dodge a 3rd WW.