Projectiles or Energy Weapons

Duggie

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' energy weapon overheat. And once drained, need reload...[/quote']

True, but energy cells usually produce more shots than, lets say a thirty round magazine.

If they had weapons like the one in The Fifth Element that could regenerate ammo for up to 3000 rounds, I'd be all over that gun like butter on a biscuit.

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is: How many rounds you can go before reloading?

Well' date=' energy weapon overheat. And once drained, need reload...[/quote']

True, but energy cells usually produce more shots than, lets say a thirty round magazine.

If they had weapons like the one in The Fifth Element that could regenerate ammo for up to 3000 rounds, I'd be all over that gun like butter on a biscuit.

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is: How many rounds you can go before reloading?

As long as we're talking fictional weapons ... the reload aspect doesn't matter. Once you start talking about the density of energy storage and/or the mass of ammunition, needle guns start to look really nice!

Blades need occasional sharpening, but never reloading.

And the brain always works better when fed and uploaded with new info, techniques, and creative approaches.

Infact I wouldn't mind having that Thaeloron beam from ST Nemisis B) Beat that :P

If I understood Nemisis the weapon was a biological one mixed with energy weapon. That kind of weapon will kick all the others butts hands down.

I should have thought about this when I started this thread then I would have had three choices for you all.

Infact I wouldn't mind having that Thaeloron beam from ST Nemisis B) Beat that :P

If I understood Nemisis the weapon was a biological one mixed with energy weapon. That kind of weapon will kick all the others butts hands down.

I should have thought about this when I started this thread then I would have had three choices for you all.

Lol no doubt the Thaeloron beam would win :D

Taking a very down to earth, pratical viewpoint and looking at real technology I would have to say that there is little room for energy weapons to take over.

Why?

Because flinging high velocity pieces of metal around works. Its simple, reliable, cheap and relatively efficient energy input to damage wise.

Energy weapons will only be useful where their speed of propagation is an advantage AND the bulk of the power generation systems can be justified. These limit them to little more than point defence weapons against artillery and missiles in a ground forces role.

In space, energy weapons would be best, as projectiles are just too slow to have much hope at hitting at range.

In space' date=' energy weapons would be best, as projectiles are just too slow to have much hope at hitting at range.[/quote']

Why would you think projectiles would be slow in space? As far as I know, there's little to no resistance!

:stare: :stare: :stare: