Enterprise - season progress

Atom

Time to discuss how you think the season is progressing.

And what you think the season has to offer in future episodes.

Read this first, and post your comments.

http://www.startrekuk.com/news/index.php?p=159

I can go alot further than John can, because my job isn't on the line.

The "Bumblebees" (Bermann & Braga) damn-near destroyed Enterprise, IMHO.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it!

:stare:

Braga needs to be shot.

I like how reasonable and reasoned Billingsley's comments are, he seems a very intelligent man and I agree with him and I like the fact that he doesn't actually site less character development as a problem.

I've done a little acting and a little writing in my day, sometimes at the same time (improv) and one thing I can say is that 99% of the time when you set out with a goal of "be funny", "get ratings", or "develop a character" you inevitably fail. Or if you suceed you do so at the expense of your (and your works') integrity.

Manny Coto has the right idea. Let the stories drive the show. If a plot results in, needs, or causes character development that's great but whatever happens needs to be driven by the plot and the desire to tell an interesting, original, and entertaining story. Manny wants to tell the stories and make the episodes he would want to see. he has Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens as a part of his team and they can make anything possible (heck, they brought Kirk back from the dead!).

I think some of the worst writing (Spock's Brain notwithstanding) came from your run-of-the-mill Voyager episode. I attribute this to 2 factors. 1) Stupid Directives like you need one episode each season to focus on each character but 7 and the Captain have to be central to every episode (the second I realized it was a Tuvok or Paris or a Kim episode I half-tuned out not because I didn't like the characters but because if it's just about one of them it can't be too vital i.e. 'Drive') 2) No one was having any fun except Robert Picardo and his episodes and contributions (he was as much a writer as an actor IMHO) were some of the funnier ones.

(side note: I had the pleasure of asking Robert a few questions once and he apparently wrote an average of 2 lines per episode not counting the few episode ideas that were his from the start...thankfully the Voyager crew were smart enough to follow the "if it works, keep it" mentality)

Conversely I think DS9 had some of the best writing ever (if you doubt me watch 'The Visitor' and 'Past Tense') because the writing team had fun. They weren't pressured from above, they didn't have internal power plays (why Ron Moore didn't stay with Voyager after DS9 ended), and above all I think they were fans writing for a show and a franchise they loved. They Voyager writing crew was doing a job (with Jeri Taylor advancing her hyperfeminist agenda and Lisa Klink trying to slip in as much erotica as she could) but the DS9 crew had fun and that translated through the small screen directly to the fans.

Coto and the Reeves-Stevens have the right idea. I'm still undecided about Rick Berman, he seems well-meaning enough. But Braga thought TOS was irrelevant and refused to watch it before taking the job. He wrote a prequel to something he hadn't even seen! That isn't just arrogance but monsterous stupidity.

Sounds right to me.

Voyager & DS9 had the luxury of a whole squadron of writers, and thus the Bumblebee's influnce wasn't felt so strong.

Enterprise, by contrast, doesn't have that luxury (it has more producers instead) so the Bumblebee's impact is more strongly felt.

:(

The producers need to produce. The writers need to write. And the Actors need to act. There, no worries, no complaints.

If the producers are geting after the writers for ratings, then the quality of the show will suffer (season 4) with very little story and little or no character development.

Its the same principle in your workplace, if the President of a company starts telling the little guys how to do their jobs when he has no clue, the result is disasterous.

The key to that is "when he has no clue". Many professionals in the entertainment industry wear different hats, many of them trained and educated for more than one job - others less so.

The best leaders are those who have worked their way up through the ranks and remember what it was be like to be in an entry-level position. Kirk always lead away missions and believed a General leads from the front. Picard and Sisko took the helm occassionally. Janeway helped out in engineering in 'Caretaker'. The best leaders get their hands dirty.

That said, not eveyone can do it. Robert Picardo is a bit of a renaissance man - Brannon Braga is not

i say i should be captain of the enterprise..............IMHO

lol

I'd love to be captain........The problem is that they don't want someone who knows how to captain a starship!!

They want a noob like Backula, who doesn't know how to turn on the Deflector. That way, he'll be forced to do what they want him to do, instead of knowing what to do.

For example:

The producer or director tells me to tell the crew to go to warp inside a nebula. Someone like Backula would do so.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't do it.......Warping from inside a nebula could cause structural integrity to fail, and put the ship & crew at unnessesary risk.

Since I would not only refuse, but tell them why as well, they opt for someone like Backula, who follows their orders blindly.

I saw a video interview with Backula on Entertainment Tonight.....It was embarrassing. He didn't even know to turn on the deflector dish before engaging the warp engines!

i say i should be captain of the enterprise..............IMHO

lol

I'd love to be captain........The problem is that they don't want someone who knows how to captain a starship!!

They want a noob like Backula, who doesn't know how to turn on the Deflector. That way, he'll be forced to do what they want him to do, instead of knowing what to do.

For example:

The producer or director tells me to tell the crew to go to warp inside a nebula. Someone like Backula would do so.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't do it.......Warping from inside a nebula could cause structural integrity to fail, and put the ship & crew at unnessesary risk.

Since I would not only refuse, but tell them why as well, they opt for someone like Backula, who follows their orders blindly.

I saw a video interview with Backula on Entertainment Tonight.....It was embarrassing. He didn't even know to turn on the deflector dish before engaging the warp engines!

LOL

You're a bad boy, VH.

The plots have been getting thin. It seems they need a few more writers. Or we could suggest they actually watch other star trek shows for input. Maybe a group of us could get together and summit a few story lines.

That's part of the problem, I bet.........

Notice that Billingsley & Blalock are the only ones complaining?

......They also happen to be the only ones who are die-hard Trek fans.

Coincidence? I think not!

:stare: :stare: :stare:

In fact, Backula went out of his way to avoid watching any Trek, thinking it might somehow taint him. The truth is, the exact opposite happened.

:(

I have to admit I haven't seen anything from season 4 yet, but so far I haven't seen any character development except for the T'Pol becomes a drug addict / has emotions / sex with Trip. I'm sure everyone loved that one. :rolleyes: A vulcan has emotions! Ooh, how controversial. A Vulcan who doesn't have any emotions at all, now that would be interesting. :p

I agree with everything cowman said though, from Braga needing to be shot to the writing on DS9 and Voyager. I have a few issues with the character development on DS9 (like Hard Time, where O'Brian has memories implanted, but seems to have forgotten the whole episode a week later), but it's still miles better than Voyager and Enterprise. Please pardon the puns. ;)

I have to admit I haven't seen anything from season 4 yet, but so far I haven't seen any character development except for the T'Pol becomes a drug addict / has emotions / sex with Trip. I'm sure everyone loved that one. :rolleyes: A vulcan has emotions! Ooh, how controversial. A Vulcan who doesn't have any emotions at all, now that would be interesting. :p

I agree with everything cowman said though, from Braga needing to be shot to the writing on DS9 and Voyager. I have a few issues with the character development on DS9 (like Hard Time, where O'Brian has memories implanted, but seems to have forgotten the whole episode a week later), but it's still miles better than Voyager and Enterprise. Please pardon the puns. ;)

The scene in which Trip and T'pol are applying gel on each other while arguing was the hottest in Star trek ever...At least for me. :rolleyes:

I wish I was ill from time to time... B)

The scene in which Trip and T'pol are applying gel on each other while arguing was the hottest in Star trek ever...At least for me. :rolleyes:

I wish I was ill from time to time... B)

Why?

So Trip could rub you down in gel?

:o

;)

• 2 years later...