Your First Modem/Internet Connection (At Home)

synexo

How fast was your very first modem or router that you used to connect to the internet, to telnet, to access a BBS (remember those anybody?), etc...

Me, 300 Baud modem for my old COCO2. Had to manually dial the phone, and then hit a button on the side of the modem to connect. First internet connection was 1200 kbps to telnet to a local college.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1200 was plenty when I was MUDing. Those were the days, I think I still have the remnants of the monitor tan! And that was my third machine too, blazingly fast 486/66 with 4 whole megs of RAM! Blew the doors of my first machine, IBM PC XT. When I bought it, it didn't even have a hard drive, you had to boot DOS from a floppy, the BIG floppies! Luckily, that machine, and my daisy wheel printer are long gone. Hail Technology!

300 baud acoustical coupler - you know, dial the phone, hear the tones, then put the handset into the coupler and don't let anybody in the room yell! I dialed into a Data General Eclipse. The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder tells the story of the DG Eclipse - a classic if you haven't read it yet.

Then I had the 1200 baud built-in modem on a CP/M Kaypro II with dual 5-1/4" floppy drives that I used for a few BBS systems. My first PC Clone also had dual 5-1/4" floppies, but I "borrowed" my dad's 2400 baud modem.

By the time I ran my own FIDOnet BBS (The Spider's Web), I had a 9600 baud modem, then shelled out $250 or so for a 14.4 kbaud modem when the 9600 croaked. That was also my first internet connection, back in '94 under Windows 3.1/DR-DOS.

Now it's cable at home, 56K dial-up at work, and a T3+ whenever I'm at HAARP.

In 2000, I wrote a letter to Electronic Design magazine, assuming that network speed and capacity would never be what it is now. Shortsighted, eh? (Look for the letter by John Elder)

The first modem I owned (as opposed to my parents 56.6k connection) was a PCMPCIA (or whatever the hell the laptop pariphial port is called) 28800 kbps modem, that I got with my first computer that I owned. The 'computer' was an IBM thinkpad, 6gb hard drive, 64megs ram, intel 133mhz cpu, and the battery would last almost an hour if I was lucky. I paid almost 2 grand for that piece of crap back in... oh god, couldn't have been any later then 1998.

The funny thing is even though my parents modem was far superior (I could download a file at 4kb/s! omg, LIGHTSPEED!), on my laptop, I swear that I could download at 6ish kb/s (witch ment the difference between 45 mins for a mp3, or a 25 mins, lol)

Feeling a bit nostolgic about that old beast, the day I got it I took the train to Toronto to see my brother, now I'm taking the train to toronto to see him again again today (with my new PSP, muthafukkaz!)

T3+ whenever I'm at HAARP.

You're not talking about that weather-control ionosphere secret-government cover-up alien technology HAARP are you ? (i can't be the only one who listens to coast to coast am around here...)

T3+ whenever I'm at HAARP.

You're not talking about that weather-control ionosphere secret-government cover-up alien technology HAARP are you ? (i can't be the only one who listens to coast to coast am around here...)

Absolutely not! I'm talking about the government pork, over-hyped, semi-competent, over-engineered research facility with very few applications of any kind ... the best scientists stretch their minds to find anything to do with it, while the mediocre ones make meaningless measurements. The black-hat squad shows up to go hunting and fishing on the taxpayers' $$$.

If this were an example of "alien technology," then Earth would soon rule the galaxy! There were so many bad technical decisions, some of which continue to be propogated in the new build-out, that the place is barely functional.

I've been very involved in building data-acquisition systems and a radar system for HAARP since April 1991. I've been there so many times I've lost track. I've acquired and analyzed data from the main HAARP transmitters on several different instruments (most of which I designed and/or built), acquired and analyzed VHF radar data, analyzed UHF radar data, analyzed remote-sensing spectra, analyzed riometer data, and analyzed optical data. Whew!

I've also tromped throughout the site and taken lots of pictures over the years. Last October I had my own web-cam running in the 139MHz radar trailer where I was working.

The biggest scandal is the bureaucracy imposing standard DoD rules on the site and the black-hat boys coming up for Field & Stream junkets.

Then again, I could be a member of The Conspiracy, sent to disseminate disinformation!

(Then again, my sarcasm could be a deeper layer of disinformation.)

:o :cyclops: :p

Woah! a COCO2 !!

Well, I never had an acoustic coupler, but I did have a 300baud MANUAL modem from Radio Scrap -- followed by a 1200baud TRS80 modem.

Back in those days I had a CI$ account, used "CB" -- what we called chat rooms, never got on the Source, but did get on Delphi.

Oh, and what did I have? a good ol' TI99/4A with PEB. Also had a COCO2 AND a COCO3. And a crappy PC XT clone (yes, an 8088) and -- TADAHHH: a Tandy 2000 (80186 processor) with HD drives 5-1/4 (720K). Those was the days. Of course, that was 1984 that I started with BBSes. I wanted my own BBS, just because it was so kewl. I figured I would call it "DIAL TONE" -- how naive can you be?

Oh, and BTW, don't ever knock the COCO3 -- that 68B09E processor (under OS9) allowed multi-tasking goodness.

the true side of elderbear rears its ugly head.......you ARE one of THEM!!!!!!!!

Oh my, we've been infiltrated!! Get the inquisition in here, FAST!!!!! :D

(werecow throws 8 books of burned cd's and 4 hard drives into the microwave) you'll never catch me now!!!!! bwhahah!!!! (insert evil laugh here...)

the true side of elderbear rears its ugly head.......you ARE one of THEM!!!!!!!!

(werecow throws 8 books of burned cd's and 4 hard drives into the microwave) you'll never catch me now!!!!! bwhahah!!!! (insert evil laugh here...)

NO, He is our man on the inside

uh oh...DANGITTTT!!!!!!

i rember my old 56k line those were cool times when i think back i would have never have imagined being able to go the speeds that we all use now. It just make me wonder in the next few years i will be looking back on this T1 line like it was slow i wonder what we will have available then fiber optic most likely and thats like a few gigs/second.

yeah that was back when it was the world wide wait.....i was so proud.. i amassed a 4 gig music collection on napster on a 56k line....now 4 gigs only takes a few days...oh um yeah inet2 will have some incredible speeds as it gets implimented and fiber gets more play into it...avast mateys!!!!! avi's on the port bow!!!!! aarrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

For more on A real mind-control threat (and conspiracy): The Insidious One-Eyed Monster.